BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The morning session will be the telling point, the pitch is flat and true and little for the quickies, Swann holds the key and we must be keen in the field, give them nothing and put lots of pressure on them, an early wicket will make things quite difficult for the Crims, if we have a good first session we can win the game, if the Aussies hold out the first session and score 80 to 100 runs then it could be difficult for us to go on and win the game.

That last wicket was crucial. The Aussies have a long tail. It'd be a herculean effort for them to bat all day tomorrow.

Its not their ability that worries me...its the rain!!

Once they have the wicket rolled again it will be difficult for the 1st hour to get much out of the pitch, hopefully we can somehow manage 2 or 3 quick wickets.

Well done England. Hopefully this will make Cricket Australia sit up and look at the team, team selection and coaching.

Out of the eleven that took the field (with the exception of Katich who is injured) I can only think of three that have earned the right to appear in the next test.

They are Watson, Hussey (just) and Haddin. The rest should be ditched.

If it takes a 3-0 drubbing to blood some up and comers, then I'm all for it.

Finally, Neilsen should be given the flick. For me, he doesn't have the presence of Buchanan, and, from the last few tests, doesn't appear to have the wherewithall to lift his players.

Congratulations to the Angle-terras on a well-deserved victory. As the Barmy Army sang during the match, "Can we play you every week "? :lol:

Losing Broad is a blow but Bresnan can do a good job as his replacement. Does a bit with the ball and can bat too.

Well done England. Hopefully this will make Cricket Australia sit up and look at the team, team selection and coaching.

Out of the eleven that took the field (with the exception of Katich who is injured) I can only think of three that have earned the right to appear in the next test.

They are Watson, Hussey (just) and Haddin. The rest should be ditched.

If it takes a 3-0 drubbing to blood some up and comers, then I'm all for it.

Finally, Neilsen should be given the flick. For me, he doesn't have the presence of Buchanan, and, from the last few tests, doesn't appear to have the wherewithall to lift his players.

I totally agree with that entire post, credit where it is due, Great Britain have taken some great steps in the last couple of years in all areas of sport (barring Football). When the arrogance left and they decided to start bringing in better coaches and structure from outside the country and replicating what has made other countries successful they are now displaying the reward for those efforts.

Hopefully Australia can follow suit, a country with such a proud sporting history is going through a cultural change. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as GB but still quick change is needed.

I've lifted this from the ABC (Australia) news website.

Obviously some don't want to forget.

"Fierce foes for 33 years, it seems former Ashes captains Ian Chappell and Sir Ian Botham have been at it again.

Chappell and Botham reportedly had to be separated after an altercation in the Adelaide Oval car park on the fourth evening of the second Test between Australia and England.

"Botham, who hasn't spoken to former Australia captain Chappell since 1980 despite them working in close proximity in cricket ground television booths around the globe, was waiting for his Sky transport to collect him outside the Adelaide Oval," read a report in England's Daily Mail newspaper.

"Chappell muttered something highly provocative as he went past. A surprised Botham turned around to retort: 'What did you say?' And after Chappell made another incendiary remark, both of them dropped their bags and were at each others' throats before being quickly separated."

An observer of the incident said it was fortunate there had been others close by.

"They went for each other all right, and it could have got very nasty if there hadn't been people on hand to keep them apart," the observer said.

"They reacted quickly because we all know the history between these two.

"They might be aged 55 and 67, but neither of them are the type of people to give an inch in the face of conflict."

The pair share a mutual disrespect that has lasted since 1977 and a hotly disputed encounter between them at a Melbourne bar during the Centenary Test.

Neither man denies a stoush took place between Chappell, then the recently retired former Australian captain, and an uncapped 21-year-old Botham, but their versions of events differ dramatically."

When the arrogance left and they decided to start bringing in better coaches

It is true to say some sports looked abroad for coaching expertise because it wasn't available at home but it was a matter of expediency and nothing to do with "arrogance", which is a stereotype cliche like saying Australians have a chip on their shoulder.

Archived