BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

You should ask the England 74-75 team what they thought about his aura, Greg was a better cricketer overall but Ian is an ICC Hall of Famer, drove professionalism and WSC and even after the game has been a huge reason for development of cricket everywhere.

Botham was a phenomonal competitor for England and the prototype for the "celebrity" cricketer, but I know who has contributed more to the game overall.

So do I pal. So do I.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blueboy, I don't think we are spitting the dummy, from what I have seen is anger directed at the current setup and even the most staunch aussie supporters have done nothing but congratulate England on their performance and lamented our downfall. I obviously include myself in that lot.

It appears this aggressive behaviour from some of these past players is a way of repairing the scars os series lost

Good on them though, they might as well get thwm in while they can because we know it wont last forever

Hodge lets rip

Brad Hodge fumes over fickle selection process

Victorian batsman Brad Hodge continued his attack on Australia's selectors on radio. Source: Herald Sun

VICTORIAN batsman Brad Hodge repeated his view that "there is no actual criteria" for Test selection, and ridiculed the selectors for reinstating paceman Mitchell Johnson for the third Test.

"Mitchell Johnson got dropped two weeks ago, hasn't played a game and now finds himself back in the side," Hodge said.

"How can you lose form and then find form without even playing a game? I find that bizarre.

"The problem is I guess there's no actual criteria in your workplace employment which sort of determines whether you get picked."

Speaking on radio station SEN, Hodge also said the procession of spinners through the team was mystifying, and queried why Victorian teammate David Hussey had not won Test selection.

"Xavier Doherty got picked averaging around 48 in Sheffield Shield cricket. Michael Beer is averaging 40. My spin bowling is 41 and my spin bowling is horrible," said Hodge, who has taken 74 first-class wickets at an average of 41 with his occasional off-breaks.

"(Hussey) goes and makes 1000 runs, averages 65 at a strike rate of 80, it still doesn't guarantee him getting a game.

"You go into your contract meeting with the representatives in Cricket Australia and it's, 'Well, just keep doing what you're doing. We know what you're doing'.

"And that's frustrating because there's no real formal path which says, 'Well, hang on, you guys went and said go and get me 1200 runs in a Shield season', and you do that and there's no reward.

"And I think that's what Dave would be finding very frustrating and certainly I did in my time."

Hodge averaged 55.9 in his six Tests between 2005 and 2008, including an unbeaten double century against South Africa in Perth.

The 35-year-old, who has scored three one-day centuries for Victoria this season, said he had not given up hope of being selected in that format for Australia.

He will line up for the Bushrangers in a one-day match against South Australia in Adelaide today.

The Redbacks will be captained by former Victorian batsman Michael Klinger, who disagreed with Hodge's assessment.

"If you are playing good cricket in the state competition, there is always a chance," Klinger said.

But he also said: "Hodgey is a fantastic player and no doubt should have played more Test cricket for the performances he's put in."

Any predictions for the third test chaps?

England to narrowly win. The Aussies look like they may go with 4 pace bowlers - probabaly because historically Perth has always been a quick wicket, but also because they dont seem to have any faith in their spinners.

Accyrover

England. Even Victoria made a game playing England last week!

My girlfriends father, who played football for Sheffield Utd isn't letting me forget it. Even sent me an English football shirt to wear! :(

Oh dear,I bet you Aussie's are a little shakey at the moment. It's a nice change to 4 years ago when we were 2-0 down at this point. Whatever happened to Andrew Symonds by the way. Did he have a drink problem or something?

England to narrowly win. The Aussies look like they may go with 4 pace bowlers - probabaly because historically Perth has always been a quick wicket, but also because they dont seem to have any faith in their spinners.

Accyrover

I'll go for an England win too. Just feel we have too much fire power on all fronts...BARMY ARMY!

Smith for North & 4 seamers

Tremlett for Broad

Carnage, no idea for whom though

Smiths a good prospect but he's only played a couple of tests so we should go after him. Hopefully another Pieterson masterclass is on the way! Not naming the side until the toss is very interesting...

just my take on some of our former players, gloating about the result....

"australian players, fans, media people and even those who have no idea about sport, let alone cricket....have been gloating and sticking the boot in for the last 20 years. not just to england, but to anybody and everybody in the cricketing world. so, as appears by the result of the adelaide test, the tables could be starting to turn and shock horror, the aussies don't like it....spitting the dummy springs to mind and living in an hypocracy"

deal with it, you ###### mard arse @#/?s!!! not directed at anyone on here :tu:

COME ON ENGLAND, LETS NOT GET COMPLACENT!!

Extremely foolish of our players to be bigging themselves up after winning ONE test. All this talk about going through the tour undefeated ! Get through the next test un-defeated and we'll see. Nothing motivates your opponents more than this type of bullshit.

After an almost perfect test in Adelaide, England will have to be prepared for a big Aussie fight-back. A first innings like in the first test for England could swing this one. Overall England have to be favourites, but Perth isnt a great hunting ground for us. Tremlett worries me as if he doesnt start well he could concede a lot of easy runs.

England have won the toss and elected to field.

It's in Perth, which is 3 hours behind Adelaide.

2.5 hours behind Adelaide and 8 hours ahead of UK time.

Teams:

Australia: PJ Hughes, SR Watson, RT Ponting, MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey, BJ Haddin, SPD Smith, MG Johnson, RJ Harris, PM Siddle, BW Hilfenhaus

England: AJ Strauss, AN Cook, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, PD Collingwood, IR Bell, MJ Prior, GP Swann, JM Anderson, ST Finn, CT Tremlett

I'm slightly perturbed that my prediction of a 1-2 series loss is now looking wildly optimistic.

I've already made plans to go to the Boxing day test in Melbourne..thank god they serve full-strength beer.

Archived