BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lifted this from the ABC (Australia) news website.

Obviously some don't want to forget.

"Fierce foes for 33 years, it seems former Ashes captains Ian Chappell and Sir Ian Botham have been at it again.

Chappell and Botham reportedly had to be separated after an altercation in the Adelaide Oval car park on the fourth evening of the second Test between Australia and England.

"Botham, who hasn't spoken to former Australia captain Chappell since 1980 despite them working in close proximity in cricket ground television booths around the globe, was waiting for his Sky transport to collect him outside the Adelaide Oval," read a report in England's Daily Mail newspaper.

"Chappell muttered something highly provocative as he went past. A surprised Botham turned around to retort: 'What did you say?' And after Chappell made another incendiary remark, both of them dropped their bags and were at each others' throats before being quickly separated."

An observer of the incident said it was fortunate there had been others close by.

"They went for each other all right, and it could have got very nasty if there hadn't been people on hand to keep them apart," the observer said.

"They reacted quickly because we all know the history between these two.

"They might be aged 55 and 67, but neither of them are the type of people to give an inch in the face of conflict."

The pair share a mutual disrespect that has lasted since 1977 and a hotly disputed encounter between them at a Melbourne bar during the Centenary Test.

Neither man denies a stoush took place between Chappell, then the recently retired former Australian captain, and an uncapped 21-year-old Botham, but their versions of events differ dramatically."

A part of me thinks this is ridiculous, two middle aged/elderly men pushing and shoving each other in a car park. Another part of me thinks "Fantastic" , and another part of me wants to put a fiver on Beefy!!

Well done England, but this is truly the worst Aussie team since Kim Hughes was captain.

It is true to say some sports looked abroad for coaching expertise because it wasn't available at home but it was a matter of expediency and nothing to do with "arrogance", which is a stereotype cliche like saying Australians have a chip on their shoulder.

As shown yet again, a Knight Bachelor in Ian Botham shows us all the class. If you want to get an idea of what Australians think a large percentage of poms are like, look no further then him.

Have a look at the likes of Nasser Hussain, Vaughan and Atherton in the news crowing about how bad the Aussies are, steady on lads it is not like you were Gower, Gatting and Co from '86, you should probably keep your traps shut.

Aussies used to have a chip on our shoulder when it comes to cricket, there is no doubt about that, we knew we had great players coming through but we had to sit and listen to Botham crowing non stop, that is enough to develop a slight chip yes.

The poms believed they knew best since they developed the game, they didn't change bugger all in their style of play for 50 or more years, it wasn't until they kept getting flogging after flogging and they finally realised they didn't have the answers and brought in outside help. That is arrogance Jimbo.

They have done a great job, the change in 4 years has been outstanding, I still think they would have their ass handed to them on a plate by the Saffers and India but there is no doubt they are better then us..... for the moment.

How old were you then?

Like I said, there are some positives for Australia to come out of this, if Cricket Australia are aware enough to recognise it.

Old enough to vividly remember his tearful resignation, and the 'transitional' team he led (I would have been about 20 probably), though I'm not sure where the relevance of my age is in this? Australia are very poor, there's no getting away from it. All the England bowlers who sat out the first 2 tests would walk into Australia's curent side.

As shown yet again, a Knight Bachelor in Ian Botham shows us all the class. If you want to get an idea of what Australians think a large percentage of poms are like, look no further then him.

Have a look at the likes of Nasser Hussain, Vaughan and Atherton in the news crowing about how bad the Aussies are, steady on lads it is not like you were Gower, Gatting and Co from '86, you should probably keep your traps shut.

Aussies used to have a chip on our shoulder when it comes to cricket, there is no doubt about that, we knew we had great players coming through but we had to sit and listen to Botham crowing non stop, that is enough to develop a slight chip yes.

The poms believed they knew best since they developed the game, they didn't change bugger all in their style of play for 50 or more years, it wasn't until they kept getting flogging after flogging and they finally realised they didn't have the answers and brought in outside help. That is arrogance Jimbo.

They have done a great job, the change in 4 years has been outstanding, I still think they would have their ass handed to them on a plate by the Saffers and India but there is no doubt they are better then us..... for the moment.

And there we have the chip on the shoulder I was talking about.

Botham and his pals are entitled to crow because we have had to suffer gloating from the convict fratenity for 20 years. I hope McGrath is choking on his tasteless beer as I write this.

Chappell is nasty Republican Australian bit of work. If Botham did land one on him and chase him out of the bar all those years ago then Chappell deserved it.

For your information, Botham's also one of the greatest players of all time. Who will remember Ian Chappell ?

Apologies to other posters for the tone of this reply but stupid accusations of arrogance cannot go unchallenged.

Meanwhile back to discussing England's fine win.

So we thrashed them without 25% of our four man attack? Blimey!

Broad will be missed though, but the pressure is really on the Aussies now, and they show no sign of being able to handle it.

This could be settled before Christmas, unless Austrlaia can come up with some runs, wickets and a bit of bottle.

Good luck with that!

Well done England. Hopefully this will make Cricket Australia sit up and look at the team, team selection and coaching.

Out of the eleven that took the field (with the exception of Katich who is injured) I can only think of three that have earned the right to appear in the next test.

They are Watson, Hussey (just) and Haddin. The rest should be ditched.

If it takes a 3-0 drubbing to blood some up and comers, then I'm all for it.

Finally, Neilsen should be given the flick. For me, he doesn't have the presence of Buchanan, and, from the last few tests, doesn't appear to have the wherewithall to lift his players.

Dave, as an Englishman who must have been at least 16 (as an ex St Mary's College boy)when you left these shores, I'm surprised that you appear to support your adopted cricket team against your birthright. It's your choice of course but I just wonder do you now consider yourself to be English or Australian. I just feel that wherever in the world I lived I would always remain 100% English.

In the Aussie golden era, English cricket was anything but 'arrogant', more fatalistic about how poor we were.

If you want to sterotype get it right, most English people you meet (especially us northern types) are pros at being self deprecating- not a quality you could put on many Aussies.

Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide Adelaide 

Ahhh nice to say that name again

I'm not Botham's greatest fan but even I can see he had something to crow about on a personal level. I was surprised to see an Australian 11 go down like that, the one thng I always expect from Australians is a bit of fighting spirit. I didn't see much in that last Test. I'm not crowing yet with 3 more games to go. You'll have to find a bowler or two and quickly though.

Dave, as an Englishman who must have been at least 16 (as an ex St Mary's College boy)when you left these shores, I'm surprised that you appear to support your adopted cricket team against your birthright. It's your choice of course but I just wonder do you now consider yourself to be English or Australian. I just feel that wherever in the world I lived I would always remain 100% English.

You'd fail the 'Tebbitt Test' then Al ;).

I was lucky enough to go to all five days and did so as a neutral as Australia is my family's new home. It was hard though, not to feel a sense of pride at at last seeing a focused, totally professional England test team. I dont know if it has been mentioned much but I thought England were brilliant in the field. It would seem that the days of the Poms sending over a team of sedentry and sometimes portly trundlers have gone and this team's athleticism played a part in keeping the foot on the Aussies throat imo.

As for the Aussies, well if Xavier Doherty is the best they have at the moment they are in real trouble. I did feel sorry for the young lad but he looked on a different planet to Swann. They'll be back though, you only have to see the number of kids playing cricket out here to see that.

As for the Barmy Army, I have to admit that I wasn't sure of them. I didn't think that football style chanting had a place in test cricket and suspected that they would be a bunch of Hooray Henrys with too much time and money. Nothing could have been further from the truth, they created a fantastic atmosphere and engaged in some hilarious banter with the locals. They are a group of passionate cricket fans who love the game and their country and work bloody hard to save for trips to far flung corners of the globe. They made me a bit proud to be English :blink:

I'm not Botham's greatest fan but even I can see he had something to crow about on a personal level. I was surprised to see an Australian 11 go down like that, the one thng I always expect from Australians is a bit of fighting spirit. I didn't see much in that last Test. I'm not crowing yet with 3 more games to go. You'll have to find a bowler or two and quickly though.

Botham had a great eye, and the power to match it.

The only other since, to my mind , has been Gilchrist. I'd say Gilchrist was the better.

I, too, was surprised at the capitulation, and that's why I suggest there should be a revamp of the squad, starting with the captain, vice captain and coach. They have shown nothing anywhere remotely like consistency in the series to date, and their tactics have been missing since day one.

There are plenty of good bowlers around, it's giving them the chance. It's long been said that it's harder to get out of the Aussie squad than it is to get in! I still wonder what Stewie Clark did to be given the flick, seeing as he's captaining NSW and they are leading the Sheffield Shield comp.

Jim you can't be serious, Ian Chappell is universally recognised as one of the greatest captains to ever grace the game of cricket, I somehow doubt he will be forgotten.

As far as the chip goes, I agreed we did have a chip, no point saying there is that chip I was talking about it makes you come off silly by trying to win cheap points.

No need to apologise though for your comments, it is just banter, I wasn't seriously expecting for you to defend the mother country and her majesty to the death

Jim you can't be serious, Ian Chappell is universally recognised as one of the greatest captains to ever grace the game of cricket, I somehow doubt he will be forgotten.

As far as the chip goes, I agreed we did have a chip, no point saying there is that chip I was talking about it makes you come off silly by trying to win cheap points.

No need to apologise though for your comments, it is just banter, I wasn't seriously expecting for you to defend the mother country and her majesty to the death

Doesn't have the aura that Botham inspires though and I must say that of the Chappells Greg is the one that readily comes to mind rather than his brother.

From The Age

The Chappell-Botham angst dates to 1977 and an incident witnessed by former Age cricket writer, the late Peter McFarline, in the bar of the MCG Hotel, next to the Hilton. Botham, then an up-and-coming young all-rounder playing on scholarship in Melbourne for the University club, took exception to what he viewed as English-bashing remarks by Chappell.

He has claimed since that he punched Chappell and sent him sprawling. Chappell denied this and his version of events was backed by McFarline, who was drinking in the bar at the time and who was close with Chappell. That version suggests that Botham threatened Chappell with a beer glass to his face and that Chappell walked away. Since then Chappell and Botham have scarcely spoken, even though they have worked together on commentary teams.

If it was true that he threatened him with a glass to the face, that's pretty poor form. But you think after all these years that they would of got over it by now, especially in regards to their profession.

Doesn't have the aura that Botham inspires though and I must say that of the Chappells Greg is the one that readily comes to mind rather than his brother.

You should ask the England 74-75 team what they thought about his aura, Greg was a better cricketer overall but Ian is an ICC Hall of Famer, drove professionalism and WSC and even after the game has been a huge reason for development of cricket everywhere.

Botham was a phenomonal competitor for England and the prototype for the "celebrity" cricketer, but I know who has contributed more to the game overall.

Ian Chappell was a driving force behind the creation of professional international cricket. (The others are Kerry Packer and Richie Benaud). His influence will be remembered forever.

just my take on some of our former players, gloating about the result....

"australian players, fans, media people and even those who have no idea about sport, let alone cricket....have been gloating and sticking the boot in for the last 20 years. not just to england, but to anybody and everybody in the cricketing world. so, as appears by the result of the adelaide test, the tables could be starting to turn and shock horror, the aussies don't like it....spitting the dummy springs to mind and living in an hypocracy"

deal with it, you ###### mard arse @#/?s!!! not directed at anyone on here :tu:

COME ON ENGLAND, LETS NOT GET COMPLACENT!!

Archived