Iceman

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me...?

Gareth-Southgate-001.jpg

alan_partridge.jpg

Classic, great spot Jisty

Well we won, that's about it. Lacklustre, uninspiring performance.

And who would not take that on Saturday against Fulham?

For all those who hate Kean...could do worse...

Hate is very strong word, I think most fan know he is not up to the job. Does not matter if it's King Kenny or Kean.

You can't be an EPL manager for long when:

Kean-1.png

And how long have people been saying this?

Forever I reckon, not sure about the Euros this time really don't think we are strong enough, but I like the look of our young lads for the world cup following.. best set of young defenders (stil gutted at 20m for Jones.. reckon he will be worth 30m plus in a year or two) and midfield lads I reckon England has seen in a since I can remember, and so far these lads seem allot more grounded IMHO Don't actually remember so many first team EPL club players and big club players ever been in the 19-22yr old bracket for England.. future def looking bright with the likes of Jones, Smalling, Wilshire, Walcott, Cleverly, Gibbs, klye Walker, Rodwell, Shelvey, Moses, Oxlade-Chamberlain.. et al and interestingly the core of the team down the middle looks pretty strong to say the least and some skill in there as well also for the world cup we will still also have some of our better current players like Rooney around.

Germany look class for the Euros mind, spains hitters are not going to be in there and Holland not looking to shabby.. sadly all of those three are far better at the moment and the likes of France and Italy will give us a run for our money.

Saying that noticed an interesting stat today.. Fabio actually has by far the highest win percentage of any England manager since the war (not sure about those before) and while we don't win in style we still win 67% of games.

Was interesting to see Frankie called up as 3rd keeper this time.. I would def of kept hold of him this summer and kept loaning him out but hey ho.

As expected Lampard bombed again. I can't honestly think why he has been picked at all for the past 6 or more years. Yet another questionmark against the manager.

Watched the game and did not even realize Lampard was playing until they mentioned him just before half time

Guest Rovers4Good

The reason why he got picked was like so many of the others, he plays in Europe every year. It doesn't give him the right to be in the England team but can't understand the comments made that they don't know why he's been picked for the last 6 years. The reason for that is at the time he was the only one in the midfield who gave a s**t about trying.

I agree that he's had his day in the new set up but think the England team on the whole is quite frankly a joke, they lack, heart, they lack passion and they lack ambition. If they got paid the massive salaries playing for England like they do for their clubs then it may change but also, think the media don't do us any favours by building us up before a tournament then kick them when they're down when we do s***e.

One last thing about the manager i think he like the others pick the best players playing for their club team and it doesn't alwyas work out when they play for their country. Also, if you look at the likes of Germany, Italy, Spain etc... (the top clubs), they don't mess around tinkering with their teams for friendlies and that experience of playing with the same team of players on a regular basis can only have a positive effect on the way they play as they'll be used to the way they play and what to do and when.

One last thing the reason why we did so sh**e in the World Cup was there were 2 sides in the dressing room, 1 called team Ferdinand and 1 called team Terry.

When Terry got bombed out as captain it was because of what he was doing in his private life and he gave the captaincy to Ferdinand and he was doing exactly the same but it was kept out of the press and Terry wasn't happy about it.

The reason why he got picked was like so many of the others, he plays in Europe every year. It doesn't give him the right to be in the England team but can't understand the comments made that they don't know why he's been picked for the last 6 years. The reason for that is at the time he was the only one in the midfield who gave a s**t about trying.

Sorry my mistake I must have gone to put the kettle on in the England game when Lampard actually 'tried' enough to even break sweat. :rolleyes: That bugger wont break wind never mind sweat for England and Gerrards only marginally better. The pair of em wanted ###### off years ago!

The only people who defend them are doing so cos they are brtainwashed with all the rubbish written by big club, corporate sponsored, heavily agenda'd press and media hacks rather than anything that they see actually being played out on the pitch.

• Moderation Lead

There were great expectations of Lampard in the 2006 world cup, and he bombed then, he's done nothing since in an England shirt to suggest why he's being picked repeatedly. He and Barry need binning, it's a joke that Parker has been overlooked for so long, never mind him being dropped the other night.

I look forward to the day a manager gets some mettle and drops the older players from the 2010 world cup, though if Harry Redknapp gets the job, there's so little chance of Fat Lampard getting dropped.... :angry2:

Guest Rovers4Good

Totally agree that they need binning now and we were so defencive on Tuesday night it was embarassing, Parker is great on his day but Barry, there's a man who's stole a livin. :)

Sorry my mistake I must have gone to put the kettle on in the England game when Lampard actually 'tried' enough to even break sweat. :rolleyes: That bugger wont break wind never mind sweat for England and Gerrards only marginally better. The pair of em wanted ###### off years ago!

The only people who defend them are doing so cos they are brtainwashed with all the rubbish written by big club, corporate sponsored, heavily agenda'd press and media hacks rather than anything that they see actually being played out on the pitch.

Genuine question, no wind up. What do you mean by "corporate sponsored"? You mention this frequently when talking about England. Are you saying that players are only picked because the likes of Nationwide and Vauxhall say so? Surely any player pulling on the shirt will get the same exposure? Or is it Nike and Adidas pulling the strings?

Agree wholeheartedly on Lampard. Not good enough at international level on his own. Playing with world class stars at Chelsea made his game easy.

Genuine question, no wind up. What do you mean by "corporate sponsored"? You mention this frequently when talking about England. Are you saying that players are only picked because the likes of Nationwide and Vauxhall say so? Surely any player pulling on the shirt will get the same exposure? Or is it Nike and Adidas pulling the strings?

Money talks but at the top level it screams speeeedie.

True story for you..... Lampard has been paid to wear Adidas boots (predators I believe) for long enough and for the World Cup in SA he was signed up again to wear the latest Adidas product which had obviously been advertised and promoted heavily. After the US game he complained to Adidas that he was not happy playing in the new boots and for the Algeria match he reverted to his old Adidas boots. This was spotted by adidas mgment and all hell broke loose. He was instructed via his agent in no uncertain terms that no matter what he had to wear the new boots for the remainder of the tournamnet starting with the final match against Slovenia.

Now Capello reckons to be a hard man and a disciplinarian but imo he is a wuss. If the same situation had confronted players under Ramsey the player would have worn exactly what he wanted and Ramsey would have banned Adidas representatives and Lampards agent from the hotel and training ground. So too I'm sure would the likes of any top managers e.g. Ferguson, Mourhino, Clough etc. Unfortunately the influence of corporate big guns with their sponsorship cheques means nowadays that even the strongest manager will be forced to bend to their influence. Obvious also why the England team is only selected from the players of big clubs.

Money talks but at the top level it screams speeeedie.

True story for you..... Lampard has been paid to wear Adidas boots (predators I believe) for long enough and for the World Cup in SA he was signed up again to wear the latest Adidas product which had obviously been advertised and promoted heavily. After the US game he complained to Adidas that he was not happy playing in the new boots and for the Algeria match he reverted to his old Adidas boots. This was spotted by adidas mgment and all hell broke loose. He was instructed via his agent in no uncertain terms that no matter what he had to wear the new boots for the remainder of the tournamnet starting with the final match against Slovenia.

OK. I see where you are coming from now. I do think that top club players get preferential treatment, but I don't really agree with your hypothesis. I think we both are on the same page with overpaid, underperforming primadonnas, but to say that money holds that big an influnce is a stretch. Familiarity though really helps.

I think it was the Atlanta olympics in 1996. Yank decathlete Dan O'Brian had been marketed like mad by Nike beforehand. He cocked up at the trials and never made it. If your theory is right I reckon he'd have sneaked in somehow.

It's not so much Lampard himself than the place  he takes up in the formation. It is static and takes up space that Rooney likes to move into. Four fluid forward players - Young, Rooney, Walcott, and esp Downing who has been great at club level for over a year. Need Parker's box-to-boxness. Hargreaves for Barry if he's ever better. A bit like Rovers with two sitting midfielders and fluidity of say Hoilett, Goodwillie, Olsson, Formica (Vukivic)

• 1 month later...

I've not seen anything about England qulaifying for Euro 2012 on Friday. To me it's a show of how consumed the messageboard is with Rovers current predicament.

Anyway, I'm happy, unlike many on here. I also agree with Gary Neville's comments that we are not good enough to win it. Here's my favourite comment, he's right on for me.

"When I look at it coldly, a team that has John Terry, Gary Cahill, Scott Parker, Gareth Barry, Darren Bent and Rooney in its central positions is nowhere near good enough to take on the major nations such as Spain."

Let's look forward to months of build up followed by sh!te performances and an early exit. I can't wait.

I've not seen anything about England qulaifying for Euro 2012 on Friday. To me it's a show of how consumed the messageboard is with Rovers current predicament.

Or because it was a formality and no one gives a crap about England. :D

Archived