BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

Iceman

Not really. They don't go around finding good players in other countries then turning them German. The likes of Özil, Khedira, Boateng, Klose all have one parent who is German and were born/lived in Germany since a young age. Even Podolski who has two Polish parents moved to Germany at the age of 2.

I think the only player to have been naturalised so that he could play for the national team - i.e. lived there for 5 years then got a passport is Cacau.

Exactly that. Even looking beyond the key players, other players like Piotr Trochowski and promising youngsters like Serdar Tasci and Änis Ben-Hatira have all grown up in Germany like Özil and Khedira, even if both their parents are originally from another country.

England had a key group of players that repeatedly failed to deliver on the big stage and were consistently outclassed at tournaments and despite these continuing failures the press, players and fans kept believing that they were among the worlds elite teams and had just as much chance of winning as any other big team. The past couple of tournaments, especially the last World Cup seems to have finally woken people to the fact that they are an average footballing nation and sit amongst the Denmarks, Serbias and Portugals of the world and which is by no means a disgrace or insult. With qualification to the Euros in 2012 not guaranteed, the prospect of one last shot of redemption for the likes of Gerard, Lampard and Ferdinand may not come around. Until there is a complete change of attitude and culture to how youngsters should be coached and what examples they should follow, then the same thing will continue to happen.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the FA are sensible(which by the looks of it, they are not) then Redknapp is the best choice to replace Capello. no chance in hell, that Sam would get the job.

Redknapp is a potential PR disaster. He's more skeletons in his closet than Burke and Hare imo.

With qualification to the Euros in 2012 not guaranteed, the prospect of one last shot of redemption for the likes of Gerard, Lampard and Ferdinand may not come around. Until there is a complete change of attitude and culture to how youngsters should be coached and what examples they should follow, then the same thing will continue to happen.

I couldn't caqre less if I never saw those three in an England shirt again. They simply don't deserve one.

Redknapp is a potential PR disaster. He's more skeletons in his closet than Burke and Hare imo.

agree. despicable character. hate him. dodgy dealings.. media connections that keep him safe from critism (and if thats not enough... he spawned jamie redknapp. 2nd worst pundit in the world.. (merson is bloody clueless and talks utter rubbish)

jamie is 'mr smug in the tightest trousers around' and he constantly puts me off my sunday roast dinner!

back to arry;

before yesterdays win at LFC, he'd won 1 game in 13.. since beating milan at the san siro. juande ramos never had a run like that. he won 5 in 13! :blink:

with the money and squad he's had a spurs they shouldve done much better. he's tactically clueless at times, no plan B.

i dont want him appointed england manager.. id support any other country they played.

but it would be interesting, as it will more than likely go pear-shaped and the emperor may be seen without his clothes.

I couldn't caqre less if I never saw those three in an England shirt again. They simply don't deserve one.

100% agree to.. it's becoming a habit, gordon! :blink::D

gerrard performs when he wants..

lampard can be easily replaced..

and ferdinand's got the footballing future of a snowman (with all his injuries). he's another despicable character.

• 1 month later...

Where are the calls for Pearce to resign?

Oh yes, he's English. Carry on

I've been calling for him to resign since the day he was appointed, through all the Bentley fiasco which was conveniently forgotten about when players like Wilshere didn't go to the U21s and am still calling for it now. I don't care if he's English. He's had several goes at tournaments and we are going backwards not forwards.

I've been calling for him to resign since the day he was appointed, through all the Bentley fiasco which was conveniently forgotten about when players like Wilshere didn't go to the U21s and am still calling for it now. I don't care if he's English. He's had several goes at tournaments and we are going backwards not forwards.

I think he is rubbish as well. I never wanted him in the first place. I just think it's funny that the seniors have a bad tournament and it's all down to Capello (one of the most decorated managers in the game) however the u21s have a worse tournament but are managed by Pearce and there is nothing in the papers about sacking him.

Strange

I think he is rubbish as well. I never wanted him in the first place. I just think it's funny that the seniors have a bad tournament and it's all down to Capello (one of the most decorated managers in the game) however the u21s have a worse tournament but are managed by Pearce and there is nothing in the papers about sacking him.

Strange

Because the u21s don't matter to the press unless they are a stick to beat players like Bentley with. They are so wrapped up in the main England team and think that the rest of us haven't spotted things like the fact that teams who do well in younger level tournaments generally bring through players who help their national teams do well in World Cups and European Championships at senior level.

Being reported that Inter have asked England for permission to talk to Capello.

My answer: YES

Not sure if this is good news or not, on one hand I'd love to see him go, but then unfortunately if that happens then Redknapp almost seems a certainty for the job.

Couldn't be a better time for Redknapp, failed to get champions league this year, Modric and others I'm sure are starting to have their heads turned by the bigger clubs, probably feels he can't do better than he's already done with them, what a perfect opportunity to sod off and use the usual, 'They are a great team who are really going places but this was too good an opportunity to turn down' line.

• Moderation Lead

Every time I watch England I find myself getting more and more resentful towards the players.

Lampard hasn't performed well for England since before the 2006 world cup, Gerrard is hit and miss, and we scandalously over-rate the rest of our squad. My god we are poor though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our midfield contains Gareth Barry and James Milner. I dont care if we make it to the Euros there are at least half a dozen significantly better teams than us in Europe. Trashing Bulgaria counts for very very little in my eyes. Bullying the small teams in Europe wont mean much when we're ridiculed against Germany next year.

great peformance from the boys, allbeit against a very poor side, cahill looks class and should be playing at a higher level than bolton,

Why? He's playing in the top flight every week and for England, should all the squad be playing for the 'big clubs'?

Our midfield contains Gareth Barry and James Milner. I dont care if we make it to the Euros there are at least half a dozen significantly better teams than us in Europe. Trashing Bulgaria counts for very very little in my eyes. Bullying the small teams in Europe wont mean much when we're ridiculed against Germany next year.

It's the same ###### we do every year. Boss some no-mark group, get overhyped beyond belief, only to falter against a half-decent team, because our players are a bunch of overrated big-shots who don't earn the shirt or wear it with pride.

That's why I actually enjoy watching England crash-and-burn on the big stage. We're such an arrogant country that we feel entitled to glory because we won the World Cup some 45 years ago. The humility never lasts long after a crushing defeat, a few more good results against the minnows and we're back to believing in our 'golden generation' again.

Well it might not be a popular view, but I support the national team through good, bad or indifferent...thought we played quite well in the first half last night although was suprised how badly Bulgaria defended last night. The second half was a bit of a non-event as it was game over, a bit last the second half against Sheffield Wednesday in the Carling Cup.

The match against Wales will be more like a 'proper' cup tie, however win that and we have one foot in the finals :D

Archived