BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

Iceman

I didn't say I was a better Rovers fan, just that Rovers are all that I am bothered about. It doesn't come close.

I posted the club/country 'question' because people expect you to be passionate for both - I want to be clear that I am not.

:brfc:

Not saying this is you Ben, but a lot of people with this attitude will be the first ones going mental down the boozer should we win it...

I'm apathetic, but once it gets to the big competitions, I get the bug. Then get disappointed.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I think everyone expects too much from England and are disappointed that we don't do that well. Realistically we just don't have the players. None of our theoretically 'brilliant' players perform that well for England - Rooney, Gerrard and to a lesser extent Lampard look decent but hardly world class in an England shirt. The only attacking player who has really looked excellent in recent years turning out for England is Joe Cole but his career looks pretty much over from injury.

We're light years behind Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Germany etc. but the support goes in thinking we should be competing with these top teams. This leads to huge disappointment when we stumble.

Expectations need to come down, in the same way they come down for clubs who suffer repeated disappointments, so that the fans can adjust and get behind the team. But for some reason they won't for the national side. Despite having no evidence that we should be at the top table - indeed we didn't even qualify for Euro 2008 - fans still thought quarters minimum was the right expectation for the World Cup.

Bonkers. We're not that good. Get used to it.

The biggest problem England have is you don't have your own identity any more. At present it's all lets copy Spain as they are the best so that's the way it needs to be done. Before it was the French oh aren't they doing well, lets copy them and we'll be successful. Next it will be the Germans and you'll start copying them next when they win the next world cup and so on.

England needs to find it's own footballing culture before anything gets better at international level and you can start realistically dreaming about trophies again.

Personally I think its all down to the media - and expectations are way too high.

The media and the such don't help as things get so wound up that anything less than winning the whole thing is considered failure.

Englands biggest issue is your lack of talent coming through. Spain took about 15 years after implementing their new coaching philosophies to reap the rewards, Germany are just starting to see the rewards of their 20 year plan, I even know 1 country who has a 100 year plan. All these countries have enjoyed success or will do because they have sat down and looked within themselves for the answers. 10-15 years ago it was all about copying the french way of developing players in this country, 5-7 years ago it became all about copying spains approach, if germany win the next world cup you'll start copying them.

England need to sit down and come up with their own long term plan and until they do your screwed talent wise. Trouble is every window the number of english players declines in the premier league as those in the lower leagues are not considered good enough. And why are they not good enough simple compared to the premier league most other clubs are skinter than skint and have no chance of producing because they simply cannot afford to. Unless you can up the quality and quantity of good english players coming through it won't matter what you do.

1 thing that really stands the premier league out from all the other leagues in the world is the vast array of styles of play we see. pass N move, direct play, possession, quick counter attacking you just don't see this in other countries. Its not easy for a player who plays one style week in week out to just rock up and change to another for his national team. But also look at your national team as well. not long agao it was all about knocking it up to Crouch and playing, now its keep the ball ala spain.

England have lost their identity they need to get it back.

Not saying this is you Ben, but a lot of people with this attitude will be the first ones going mental down the boozer should we win it...

I'm apathetic, but once it gets to the big competitions, I get the bug. Then get disappointed.

You're probably right Sambo... that used to be me.

Although I watched it, I wasn't really too bothered about the South Africa tournament like I was in say 2002 for example.

is Dawson really the best we have to offer in defence? and why is Carroll in the squad despite being injured for months? poor decisions but we should beat Wales, 3-0 I reckon

Come on England!

Dawson has played well. Him and Terry is a good partnership. I would have prefer Jagielka instead of Dawson.

When are the useless commentators going to mention the moronic boo-ing by the Welsh of God Save the Queen? Ignored each time it happens.

Because then they would be forced to comment on every England home game when the morons boo every national anthem.

Bent is so frustrating to watch. The lad can finish if the ball is served on a plate but don't ask him to sprint or stretch to get on to a pass.

He's a goal scorer. He has the instinct that you can't teach - helps him get in those goal scoring positions. The rest of his game is average, at best, but it's good enough.

Booing any national anthem is a disgrace imo.

Wales were done after 15 minutes, 2-0 and really on the back foot it was game over.

Problem with these Welsh games at the Millenium is the Swansea and Cardiff fans are not segregated and they like nothing more than to knock 7 bells out of eachother given the chance. Trouble before, during and after the match.

He's a goal scorer. He has the instinct that you can't teach - helps him get in those goal scoring positions. The rest of his game is average, at best, but it's good enough.

I appreciate that. It's still frustrating to watch though. Having said that, it would be great to have that frustration at Ewood.

The biggest problem England have is you don't have your own identity any more. At present it's all lets copy Spain as they are the best so that's the way it needs to be done. Before it was the French oh aren't they doing well, lets copy them and we'll be successful. Next it will be the Germans and you'll start copying them next when they win the next world cup and so on.

England needs to find it's own footballing culture before anything gets better at international level and you can start realistically dreaming about trophies again.

Correct.

is Dawson really the best we have to offer in defence? and why is Carroll in the squad despite being injured for months? poor decisions but we should beat Wales, 3-0 I reckon

Come on England!

I missed the match but Carroll and Lampard would not have been anywhere near to my 1st choice team. In fact they wouldn't make my 'B' team.

Correct.

I missed the match but Carroll and Lampard would not have been anywhere near to my 1st choice team. In fact they wouldn't make my 'B' team.

Lampard was surprisingly good. Parker was the main positive and is the first genuine holding midfielder we have had for 3/4 years. Wilshere is unbelievable for his age. He genuinely wouldn't look out of place in a Barca team. His technique is so superior to any other player we have.

During the world cup commentators stated that we should follow the Dutch because all their players played overseas. They also said we should copy Spain in the way that they play. They seemed to forget that virtually all of the Spanish starting 11 do not play overseas and most of the dutch 11 play in England so I had no idea what to make of it.

Archived