BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Dawn Of A New Era

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gumboots describes pretty much how I and many of my friends felt. I didn't enjoy supporting Rovers under Big Sam, the football was dreary, for whatever reason the victories didn't give me the sense of joy that they should/did under previous managers. Saint Sam spent quite a bit in his short time at Rovers on Kalanic, Givet and the many similar foreign players he brought in who weren't up to task but still needed paying. We can add to that the money wasted via the appointment of Ince, both in terms of the wasted money on Grella, Andrews etc. then the hefty pay off he would've received - all in the space of five months or so...so I wouldn't say that the investment wasn't there, just it was largely wasted during that period.

I can't argue that things have never been as bad as under this knob and his crazy set-up, but things certainly started to go back downhill the moment Mark Hughes left the club.

Givet has been a top player. He's been wasted at Left Back simply cos he could put in a decent shift there. All through that period and even including Nelsen and Jones I believed Samba and Givet to be our best CH pairing.

Aw, come on, closing it would stop the entertaining spectacle of the anti-Allardyce mob digging themselves into a deeper hole and making more U-turns to justify their stance than David Cameron.

It's astonishing that anyone was willing to give Venky's the benefit of the doubt when they arrived when it was patently obvious with their ludicrous statements that they were taking the rise out of the club and the fans. I've no doubt that Sam's detractors also invested in Icelandic banks and believed the Tory manifesto in the last election. I guess some folk are just plain stupid.

:rolleyes:

You are old enough and have seen enough General Elections to know that anyone who believes any manifesto of any party must be one sandwich short of a picnic.

Why are you so eager to provide your detractors on this thread with bullets to fire back at you.

As well as highlighting the fact that some posters apparently won't admit when they're wrong while Tom M summed it up nicely - "All this is now serving is stroking some egos, ironically some of those have made even worse errors of judgement but would rather ignore that".....like I've said previously fans didn't want Sam at first and we got Ince instead and I'm sure some of them were pro-Sam so why weren't they then?

Check back. I wrote much on here when Hughes went that Allardyce was the stand out obvious choice.

1. Plenty of proven experienence at successfully managing poorly funded town clubs at top level on a shoestring. Bolton's Prem record under Allardyce had been exemplary given their resources.

2. No compenstation to pay to previous clubs.

3. Not even any relocation money to pay.

Allardyce was never perfect, there is no such thing as a perfect manager BUT he was nailed on perfect for us once the Trust had decided to drastically reduce our funding in 2007. I said many times that John Williams biggest gaffe in all his time here was in deciding on the bloody awful Ince.

Anyway, sacking a manager mid-season ANYTIME over the style of football must be pretty much ALWAYS the wrong thing to do if the results are good.

Changed it for you bish.

Just ask Chelsea fans after Abromovich potted Mourhino. Quite ironic that any success they have had since has been ground out simply through digging in defensively.

But you didn't think Hughes was fit to manage us.

And Jim was particularly scathing about John Williams & his family.

Two of the greatest ambassadors of the club in recent years maligned by the pair of you. Still, keep harping on about Allardyce to cover up your own indiscretions. :)

I wanted Sam in the second MH left the club if I am honest and was annoyed with the Ince appointment.

And when Sam heard he was sacked I was shocked.

Initially I believed that this must mean a big name manager (Rafa etc) was lined up to replace him but alas the bald mnkey strolled into town.

There was no reason what so ever to sack Sam. Anyone who agrues dfferently needs to look at the state the club was in.

If the chicken farmers were to invest money than maybe he would only have stayed for another season or two as he would have taken us as far as he could. But considering they or SEM, JA, kean are just stealing money from the club would sam have stayed anyway?

This whole discussion is pointless as Sam is gone (and doing a very good job) and rovers is finished thanks to his scum bag replacement and his bosses whoever they are.

Perfectly put eire. No one can argue with your opinion and summary.

Oh Wait!

But you didn't think Hughes was fit to manage us.

And Jim was particularly scathing about John Williams & his family.

I've given my reasons for that many many times on here. Perfectly valid ones too and I have nothing to hide. Hughes proved my fears completely unfounded and much much credit to him for that. If you don't believe me and your accusations reveal that you are unable to comprehend then look them up instead of simply regurgitating somebody elses words.

The simple fact is that I made a mistake, an error of judgement. I have owned up to being initially mistaken about Hughes many times. It didn't take me long to realise that he was the best manager that I have ever seen at Ewood in over 50 years, and by some distance (might suprise you but I still hold that opinion). Unfortunately you seem determined that such frank, open honest admission will never every be attributed to you and yours. You are simply incapable of admitting that your opinion was wrong. Why is it so hard for you to admit that you ###### up big time? Also why do you feel the need to lay total blame on others?

Just what do you see when you look in a mirror?

Perfectly put eire. No one can argue with your opinion and summary.

Oh Wait!

I've given my reasons for that many many times on here. Perfectly valid ones too and I have nothing to hide. Hughes proved my fears completely unfounded and much much credit to him for that. If you don't believe me and your accusations reveal that you are unable to comprehend then look them up instead of simply regurgitating somebody elses words.

The simple fact is that I made a mistake, an error of judgement. I have owned up to being initially mistaken about Hughes many times. It didn't take me long to realise that he was the best manager that I have ever seen at Ewood in over 50 years, and by some distance (might suprise you but I still hold that opinion). Unfortunately you seem determined that such frank, open honest admission will never every be attributed to you and yours. You are simply incapable of admitting that your opinion was wrong. Why is it so hard for you to admit that you ###### up big time? Also why do you feel the need to lay total blame on others?

Hmmmmm! I have my suspicions on that one Theno.....but I'm far too modest to put them on here. :rolleyes:

Oh Wait!

Thanks for proving my point, Drogster.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about being proven oh so wrong about Hughes that you feel the need to keep point-scoring against those who were not fans of Allardyce. That lapse in judgement has irrevocably damaged your ego.

If I had something to confess, I would.

Was clearing out some old emails at work when I came across one from a colleague from March last year debating our preferred starting line-up... when you look at this and what we ended up with this season it's no wonder we went down:

Robbo

Emerton Samba Nelsen Givet

Hoilett J Jones P Jones Olsson

Niko Roque

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about being proven oh so wrong about Hughes that you feel the need to keep point-scoring against those who were not fans of Allardyce. That lapse in judgement has irrevocably damaged your ego.

If I had something to confess, I would.

I take it you STILL believe SA deserved the sack then?

I take it you STILL believe SA deserved the sack then?

I'm tired of being reasonable with you people. Jim & Drog are too set in their ways to debate like adults. What's your excuse? I've explained my stance many times. I never called for Sam to be sacked (find a post where I did otherwise stfu), I even defended him many times on this site when people like waggy slagged him off, but by the end I was thoroughly fed-up of his football and if new owners meant we could branch out on someone else, then so be it. Quite frankly, I wasn't wrong about anything regarding Allardyce. Did a good job but his football was a total turn-off. Had Venky's been fit and proper owners from the start, people wouldn't be martyring him so.

The appointment of Allardyce split fan opinions straight away. His links to Bolton, his perceived style of play, Panarama episodes and his son, emphasis on defence etc. meant that many fans did not even give him a chance at our club. This shone through with the stupid 4-4-2 chants from brainboxes in the crowd and the booing of certain substitutions / when winning at home.

'Anyone But Sam' was the mantra of many at the time.

The appointment of Kean further split and divided fans. Many were happy to see SA gone and were more than happy to give VenKean a chance, whilst others did what they have always done and simply supported the latest developments at the club. Some of these fans however got little boy trembly and excited after home wins to a struggling Liverpool and away at a struggling West Brom, extolling the benefits of the wonderful pass and move football we were supposedly watching.

Other fans viewed Kean's CV and understood he was never remotely qualified or capable to hold the key position at the club and were understandably very concerned from the outset.

Those that waxed lyrical for 12 months about the benefits of VenKean, now say it was just 'an opinion' they were entitled to. Fair enough.

Those that listened to the hogwash for 12 months, may now feel it is way too easy to spout repetitive nonsense on boards such as this and then glide sneakily away under cover of it being 'only an opinion', when someone reminds them of their lasting stupidity. Fair enough.

I guess the only thing that matters now and has done for as long as I can remember is uniting the Rovers fans again. But even if Kean is removed, with such a cross section of opinions and wishes, it will be very difficult to unite the fans behind whoever takes over and we may well be back to square one again.

Kean Out. Most fans happy. Good luck then to whoever comes in as there is no chance our fans will be united or 100% happy with the apppointment.

Many? There was no good reason to sack him. Results were good, young players were coming through. Attendances were up.

List the reasons against...

I suppose there isn't a good reason if your head is in the sand or just being dismissive without giving it any thought but I'm aware of a few reasons:

Cost of his contract, plus that of his extensive backroom staff.

Style of play which many fans were making a hell of a lot of noise about.

His general personality/negativity

Touting himself for other jobs via newspapers and interviews.

The results you get on the internet when you type in Allardyce br... and his decision to not fight certain claims made against him.

The fact that his two former chairmen absolutely loath him - for what reason?

He didn't exactly make it hard for the new owners not to take to him and it would have been even easier after the drubbing at United. I totally agree with Mark, I wouldn't have argued with the sacking had they replaced him with ANYONE competent but I don't doubt that we would have stayed up with his bland as toast football.

I'm tired of being reasonable with you people. Jim & Drog are too set in their ways to debate like adults. What's your excuse? I've explained my stance many times. I never called for Sam to be sacked (find a post where I did otherwise stfu), I even defended him many times on this site when people like waggy slagged him off, but by the end I was thoroughly fed-up of his football and if new owners meant we could branch out on someone else, then so be it. Quite frankly, I wasn't wrong about anything regarding Allardyce. Did a good job but his football was a total turn-off. Had Venky's been fit and proper owners from the start, people wouldn't be martyring him so.

I totally agree with this.

To be quite honest, I don't think even those who didn't like allardyce, his style of play, his apparent arrogance in interviews etc actually thought that sacking him when it happened was a good idea. However, most were prepared to see who came in and thought that the sacking might be a good thing if the appointment was right. As then happened the appointment was so far wrong it defied logic and the continuation of that employment is up there with the Marie Celeste and other unfathomable mysteries.

At no point did i say i didn't like the winning under Allardyce but as someone else said there was none of that euphoric joy you ought to feel occasionally with the manner of the win. We all know there are times to win ugly - Hughes's first season for example. We're not spoilt babies who always expect entertainment, but we do feel that as paying customers we have the right to get some excitement in a performance as well as winning. Attendances may have been up but how much was that due to the drop in season ticket prices? Would the fan base have held if Allardyce ahd stayed? We'll never know because he was sacked.

Agree with this too.

Jumping isn't the answer, think of your loved ones Theno.

and there was me hoping kean had decided to jump and the Raos and everyone else involved in the fiasco that is currently rovers were about to follow him.

Cost of his contract, plus that of his extensive backroom staff.

He was paid the going rate. Seems pretty good value now doesn't it? He didn't have an extensive back room staff like he did at Bolton. He had a smaller staff than Hughes did, actually.

Style of play which many fans were making a hell of a lot of noise about.

Already dealt with this. Not a valid reason for firing him.

His general personality/negativity

Not a valid reason. He sometimes said some stupid things, so what? "Sam, thanks for saving us from relegation and getting us into the top ten but I'm afraid I'm letting you go for your general negativity."

Touting himself for other jobs via newspapers and interviews.

The Qatari job? You really are getting desperate!

The results you get on the internet when you type in Allardyce br... and his decision to not fight certain claims made against him.

This was from before we employed him. Have you got any reasons why we should have fired him for the jon he did at Blackburn Rovers?

The fact that his two former chairmen absolutely loath him - for what reason?

Gartside certainly shouldn't and I don't know about Ashley. You can tell me but you still haven't given any decent reasons why he deserved firing by BRFC.

Archived