BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Dawn Of A New Era

I honestly cannot comperehend those that think supporting your football club is about expecting an 'attractive style of play' over the joy you get from seeing your team win.

Amazes me.

I'd take an ugly win over a exciting loss any day of the week

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You best explain to me than Maj.

Because why do we support a club? Why do we cheer the house down after a hard fought win? Why do we get a nice fuzzy feeling as you see your club shoot up the table?

Your club improves by achieving better results year on year.

'Style of play?' Who gives a feck. It's professional, competitve sport, not the Bolshoi.

I'd take an ugly win over a exciting loss any day of the week

Life isn't so black and white.

Hughes was a great example. He entertained the fans because the side were always in the oppositions faces. We pressed high up the pitch and we had a goal or two in us. I don't doubt Sam would have fashioned his side into a similar style given time and money.

Of course fans love to win. Thats why watching a side designed to win is so much more entertaining than watching a side designed not to lose. Not to say we didn't understand why Sam played this way. Necessity is the mother of invention. Allardyce invented a style of football designed to keep his sides playing top flight football. It worked wonders for him and will ensure he's never short of work. But christ, shoot me for preferring to spend my hard earned watching a side who actively look to win football matches. In my world i find that entertaining. Despite what Den tells me i think! :D

Life isn't so black and white.

Hughes was a great example. He entertained the fans because the side were always in the oppositions faces. We pressed high up the pitch and we had a goal or two in us. I don't doubt Sam would have fashioned his side into a similar style given time and money.

Of course fans love to win. Thats why watching a side designed to win is so much more entertaining than watching a side designed not to lose. Not to say we didn't understand why Sam played this way. Necessity is the mother of invention. Allardyce invented a style of football designed to keep his sides playing top flight football. It worked wonders for him and will ensure he's never short of work. But christ, shoot me for preferring to spend my hard earned watching a side who actively look to win football matches. In my world i find that entertaining. Despite what Den tells me i think! :D

I'd happily take that now and always would over Kean and his attempts to play footy

I'd happily take that now and always would over Kean and his attempts to play footy

Who wouldn't! The thing with Kean is he did try to play more expansive football to start with. But he soon reverted to a much more direct style. The only trouble was he was crap at it. You can only play that way if your defence is well drilled. Sadly Kean is utterly incapable of doing that. And despite playing more direct he had the cheek to come out after every match claiming we played good football. The Spurs match was classic!

Despite the differing opinion of Allardyce, Steve Kean does at least unite us all.....in misery.

You can actually find a handful of games where Allardyce clearly loosened the reigns tactically, such as cup games or the Chelsea match where Venky's were in attendance. Less hoofball, more emphasis on keeping possession, short-throws instead of Pedersen specials. That sort of thing. Totally debunks the myth that we only had to play the Allardyce way to compete in the top-flight. Too bad the old guard are too blinkered to realize that.

You can actually find a handful of games where Allardyce clearly loosened the reigns tactically, such as cup games or the Chelsea match where Venky's were in attendance. Less hoofball, more emphasis on keeping possession, short-throws instead of Pedersen specials. That sort of thing. Totally debunks the myth that we only had to play the Allardyce way to compete in the top-flight. Too bad the old guard are too blinkered to realize that.

He eventually got it so that Bolton were playing like that in most games and would have taken us in that direction with TIME. Unfortunately people like Mark, Gav, Revidge, Tris and yourself wanted him out asap. Young players were being brought through under him and we were getting results. The two most important things for a club like us...

Never thought we had the players, under Sam, to play “good football” and consistently pick up points.

IMO, over time, he would have attempted to bring in more flair in but he always had very tight financial restraints.

Overall, he did an excellent job here – firstly by saving us from the mess Ince created – secondly, reaching a semi final and ending up 10th in the league was also a great achievement.

Plus importantly, the majority of players had an enormous amount of respect for him – Robinson said he was the best manager he ever worked under and Salgado also had a lot of time for him and the way he dealt with the players (through his man management skills).

Some fans, even to this day, could not put to one side their pure dislike of the man and this shaped their opinion.

You best explain to me than Maj.

Because why do we support a club? Why do we cheer the house down after a hard fought win? Why do we get a nice fuzzy feeling as you see your club shoot up the table?

Your club improves by achieving better results year on year.

'Style of play?' Who gives a feck. It's professional, competitve sport, not the Bolshoi.

its all about absolutes where Sam is concerned, when clearly footbal demonstrates their is more than oneway. surely I don't need to explain that people are different, with differing like and dislikes?

I am fed up with the Sam debate, its like pinning after a girl that dumped you 2 years ago.

all those harping on about I was right etc etc, then drag up my predictions about same tenure. Sam did a decent job, then got shafted, just like we have been. but no let's drag up irrelevant debates based around the actions of the loons. Sam was always going to split the fans as he has at every club he has managed. I could even go as far to say that choice aided in our demise as clearly it aided keanos intial tenure.

He eventually got it so that Bolton were playing like that in most games and would have taken us in that direction with TIME. Unfortunately people like Mark, Gav, Revidge, Tris and yourself wanted him out asap. Young players were being brought through under him and we were getting results. The two most important things for a club like us...

perhaps we should be pming these influencing people? if they can make the road sack sam, then surely they could aid jeans departure?

at the end of the day the roas took advantage of the situation and used the fans asking for some football to played. its absolutely hilarious that where Sam is concerned his children seem ti instantly forget venkys actions to date.

Never thought we had the players, under Sam, to play “good football” and consistently pick up points.

IMO, over time, he would have attempted to bring in more flair in but he always had very tight financial restraints.

Overall, he did an excellent job here – firstly by saving us from the mess Ince created – secondly, reaching a semi final and ending up 10th in the league was also a great achievement.

Plus importantly, the majority of players had an enormous amount of respect for him – Robinson said he was the best manager he ever worked under and Salgado also had a lot of time for him and the way he dealt with the players (through his man management skills).

Some fans, even to this day, could not put to one side their pure dislike of the man and this shaped their opinion.

This is what it all comes do wn to really.

Sam did a very good job at Rovers considering the resources and players available to him.

Those who always had something against him will never come around to admiring Sam, but I think the vast majority of Rovers fans recognise and appreciate the work he did here.

its all about absolutes where Sam is concerned, when clearly footbal demonstrates their is more than oneway.

There is more than one way but if a club like ours is doing well in the league and bringing young players through you should be careful about wishing for something better. The people who did might not have actually got Sam sacked but you would hope they have learnt their lesson. They should have learnt it and remembered it when Sam rescued us from the Ince fiasco.

Too many people in the last decade thought success would only be pushing for top 6 and wouldn't accept that avoiding relegation should be the main priority each season - whether under Souness, Hughes or Allardyce.

The examples of Sheff United, Wednesday, City, Leeds, Forest etc.. of clubs who are certainly no smaller than us but had been relegated and continued a downward spiral were ignored.

In order to avoid this decline, stability and good winning management were necessary. We had it in abundance under Hughes and Allardyce. We now are as far from that as we could possibly be.

Unfortunately people like Mark, Gav, Revidge, Tris and yourself wanted him out asap.

I'm trying not to get involved in this very sad 'billy biggest ######' thread, but....

Just because I wanted Allardyce out, that had no bearing WHATSOEVER on him leaving the club, its just a lazy arguement. Unfortunately my influence doesnt stretch that far, if it did I can tell you Kean would have gone long ago, with my foot up his arse :angry:

I must say, as an old-timer, I cannot understand the view of some that life outside the Premier League is some kind of unendurable purgatory. Of course you want to be at the top table but the buzz of a promotion season far outweighs anything else in my view. Obviously you have to endure a lot of poor seasons for every promotion, but that's football in general: for every game that sets the pulse racing there are 9 poor ones. It is also worth noting that aggregate attendances in the Championship plus Leagues 1 and 2 were 33% higher than for the Premier League, so clearly not everyone agrees it is unwatchable rubbish.

Just because I wanted Allardyce out, that had no bearing WHATSOEVER on him leaving the club.

Maybe so but is it not clear to you now that SA was and still would be the right manager for us? Talk of O'Neill and Jol were both unrealistic and pointless because neither of them would have come nor are they any better than him.

No, because Allardyce would not work with Venky's & vice-versa. Moot point entirely.

Also, lol. I guess that's why O'Neil & Jol both found PL jobs whereas Sam had to drop into The Championship?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Only an Allardyce fan deals in absolutes. :D

Given a decent transfer budget I'm sure we could have had both but Sam was never given that budget was he?

£12m on Kalinic, Chimbonda and Givet says he wasn't that hard done to?

He had a greatly negative transfer budget. Fact.

BTW, still waiting for you or Topman to say whether you would still sack a manager who had us in the top half of the PL?

If ever we ever do recover from the mistake of sacking Allardyce - that you wanted, would you argue for it again?

I guess that you would. :lol:

BTW, still waiting for you or Topman to say whether you would still sack a manager who had us in the top half of the PL?

No.

I would've let him go in the summer when his contract was up. :)

No.

I would've let him go in the summer when his contract was up. :)

:D

Thank you, so you've learnt nothing. Mark will be the same. :D

You can't help them that wont help themselves.

I'm trying not to get involved in this very sad 'billy biggest ######' thread, but....

You didn't do very well Gav. There's not much else to talk about is there! If they were trying to sell season tickets we could argue about that, - but they seem to have given up on that idea altogether.

Archived