BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Dawn Of A New Era

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't do very well Gav. There's not much else to talk about is there! If they were trying to sell season tickets we could argue about that, - but they seem to have given up on that idea altogether.

Bunkum :lol:

Well i'm not of your vintage gord and I knew full well that this club could not afford to go down. A glance at some of the sides who sat at the top table before a rapid fall tells you that.

In fact, I've come across more fans of 50+ slating Sam's football than the far more pragmatic 'young uns'.

Agreed, across all Blackburn forums I've seen more comments from older fans than younger ones saying things like "I would rather be playing more "attractive" football in the lower leagues than Allardyce football in the Premier League". As well as comments like, "I watch football primarily to be entertained and in more than half of the games we don't win and I don't find it at all enjoyable." I don't necessarily agree with those views and appreciate Allardyce had to work on a budget in which he managed to sign some decent players, but he still had money to spend and wasted almost 10 million on Chimbonda and Kalinic who he should of realised won't play well as a lone striker. I don't agree either with, "he didn't have the players to play passing football", as they are professional footballers and know how to pass-and-move, it's why they are professional footballers.

Certain Pro-Allardyce people claim the anti-Allaryce fans don't highlight his positive aspects but the same can be said in reverse. They also just like to dictate what other opinions are and make presumptions. Like I said before I am somewhere in the middle between pro and anti Allardyce, but it's not so much the standard of football but all the other ways it could be perceived as him costing us points due to wrong tactics and gameplan.

I don't think Kean should ever come into play in the argument as nobody of sane mind would prefer Kean and I am 100% sure that the reason Sam was fired had absolutely nothing to do with certain fan's views.

"Jol has been living off Hughes' legacy"......not at all, otherwise you could say that Hughes was just living off Hodgson's. He has made decent signings, like Dembele who is a quality player as well as leading Spurs to 2 fifth place finishes. And before anyone says he had money to spend at Spurs so did every other Spurs manager.

but it's not so much the standard of football but all the other ways it could be perceived as him costing us points due to wrong tactics and gameplan.

I was kind of with you until this bit. I think Allardyce's tactics and gameplay earned him enough points not only to keep us healthily in the division but also to earn him respect in doing so.

My one gripe was his tendency to "seemingly throw" away matches against top 4 clubs, just no fight at all. However, it was a price worth paying for the bragging rights to Fortress Ewood.

I fully appreciate that his tactics and gameplay gained us a lot of other points but I don't think this should make up for any wrong-doings on his part. I'm sure we could be just as good at home against the "big" teams if we had try to won the away matches. Thst was my biggest gripe with him. I mean we relied mainly on set-pieces anyway and with all the other variables in a football match such as luck, the referee/linesman (hard I know away at bigger teams but still) etc why not try and go for it. The worst that could happen would be what would happen anyway.

What I meant by my point was the games that were perceived to be there for the taking in which we failed to respond and this could arguably be seen as dropping points. I liked nothing more than staying up each season but if that didn't look like happening than why not risk it. It just seemed like we could have been in a better position but we remained a bit stifled.....only in home matches did there seem to be any urgency. Barring a few exceptions like against Burnley.

A manager as bad of Ince and obviously Kean would of seen us relegated but there were still other managers who could have worked on a relative budget and maximised our potential and this is why I wouldn't of minded too much if Sam were to leave one summer if we had an adequate replacement lined up. There is a reason this season was only our second ever finish in the bottom 5. There is nearly always at least 3 worse teams.

2012's most predictable post from the decade's most predictable poster?

For the last time (because the whole posthumous Sam love-in is almost as interminably dull as you), at the time, with the promise of investment, the strong links to better managers like Jol and O'Neill, and with no idea who Steve Kean was, sacking Sam seemed like a positive if perhaps ill-timed move. Looking back, suspecting now that Kean being manager was likely pre-engineered, he was the only name in the frame, and having just endured 18 months of lies, deceit and ineptitude, the owners getting Venky's to sack Sam was bad move - but was always going to happen whatever the fans, press or the man himself said or did. Would I rather have Sam than Kean? Absolutely.

Now I know Sam completes your man-crush triumvirate (with MGP and Tony Blair) but at least in public can we just forget about him? We should be united in wanting Kean and Venky's out, not arguing over the sacking of an average time under and average manager. Get over it and move on.

2012's most predictable response from a playstation fan who bought the Venky's "dream" hook, line and sinker and got it wrong right throughout 2010 and 2011 ?

For the last time (because explaining this to you for the umpteenth time is as tedious as your thought processes), there was never any prospect of the likes of Jol or O'Neill coming to Ewood except in the deluded minds of facebook fans such as yourself (Ronaldinho and Beckham anyone ?). :lol: And if you think the football would have better under O'Neill than Sam you know even less about football than you already appear.

Now I know it sticks in your craw but the fact is the sacking of Sam Allardyce was a pivotal event in the recent history of BRFC and is the principal reason we are now in the Championship. He has proved himself year after year at the top level, so if you consider him to be "average" you are either being deliberately obtuse or you're just plain thick. Get over the fact you made the wrong calls and move on.

Oh, and by the way. "Man crush" was mildly witty the first time but repeating it time and again is puerile. But then I would not have expected anything less.

I don't agree either with, "he didn't have the players to play passing football", as they are professional footballers and know how to pass-and-move, it's why they are professional footballers.

Wonderful. So why did rovers play far more good football under Sam than they have ever done since?

Because he was replaced by a chimp.

It's been established on this message board beyond any reasonable doubt that there is no person living, dead or yet to be born that could ever have done as well as Sam on the budget available and anyone who thought/thinks differently is:

a: an imbecile

b: a user of Facebook

c: wet behind the ears

Trying to add anything different to this conventional wisdom is a waste of carbon.

It's been established on this message board beyond any reasonable doubt that there is no person living, dead or yet to be born that could ever have done as well as Sam on the budget available and anyone who thought/thinks differently is:

Trying to add anything different to this conventional wisdom is a waste of carbon.

Ok. But not sure why you quoted my flippant post.

Correctamundo.

So we all agree then. Maybe we should move on to other matters.

:lol:

2012's most predictable response from a playstation fan who bought the Venky's "dream" hook, line and sinker and got it wrong right throughout 2010 and 2011 ?

For the last time (because explaining this to you for the umpteenth time is as tedious as your thought processes), there was never any prospect of the likes of Jol or O'Neill coming to Ewood except in the deluded minds of facebook fans such as yourself (Ronaldinho and Beckham anyone ?). :lol: And if you think the football would have better under O'Neill than Sam you know even less about football than you already appear.

Now I know it sticks in your craw but the fact is the sacking of Sam Allardyce was a pivotal event in the recent history of BRFC and is the principal reason we are now in the Championship. He has proved himself year after year at the top level, so if you consider him to be "average" you are either being deliberately obtuse or you're just plain thick. Get over the fact you made the wrong calls and move on.

Oh, and by the way. "Man crush" was mildly witty the first time but repeating it time and again is puerile. But then I would not have expected anything less.

There's so much nonsense here it's hard to believe it wasn't originally written in faeces on a cell wall. Astounding.

Because he was replaced by a chimp.

Precisely. This and the decision to remove John Williams are the real reasons we are where we are.

Wonderful. So why did rovers play far more good football under Sam than they have ever done since?

So despite repeated comments from myself and others arguing Kean should have nothing to do with it as Alex McLeish looks like a managerial genius compared to him you're still going to respond like that.

So we all agree then. Maybe we should move on to other matters.

Yes, we all agree that when Salgado Is A Hero says that all players can pass a ball and move - that isn't necessarily true, because the chimp tried it and they couldn't do it.

There's so much nonsense here it's hard to believe it wasn't originally written in faeces on a cell wall.

I bow to your superior knowledge as you are obviously an expert on this.

Yes, we all agree that when Salgado Is A Hero says that all players can pass a ball and move - that isn't necessarily true, because the chimp tried it and they couldn't do it.

Except that you're completely missing the point. Which is that all players are good enough to pass and move.......UNTIL a chimp tries to instruct them to do it, and then they can't through no fault of their own.

I bow to your superior knowledge as you are obviously an expert on this.

Oh, I don't know, 'expert' is a bit strong - I think most people know a crackpot when they see one.

Keep smiling Compo. :tu:

• Backroom

I always thought our players' attempts to pass and move were pretty hilarious under Allardyce as well. Can remember regularly commenting how glad I was Sam knew how to get results with a tactic that didn't involve stringing many passes together... cos our team has been terrible at that for a longgg time.

Except that you're completely missing the point. Which is that all players are good enough to pass and move.......UNTIL a chimp tries to instruct them to do it, and then they can't through no fault of their own.

Your argument was that the players under Sam were capable of passing the ball better than what they did. There's no proof of that though is there? In fact that aspect of the game has deteriorated since we sacked him - suggesting to some people that this whole viewpoint that the players were capable of a more "entertaining game" had no base whatsoever. Remember Topman continually telling us Kalinic would be a far better player when the ball wasn't hit at him head high? That was rubbish as well.

Sam had to sell over £30m worth of players - and still improved us. It wasn't pretty a lot of the time, but neither was it hoofball all of the time. In all my time as a fan, the most entertaining teams were the teams with the most talented players. Under Hughes for instance, the football was dire until he signed the likes of Bentley, Bellamy, Santa Cruz and others. To suggest that Sam had a squad capable of even approaching that level of talent, is absurd.

Oh, I don't know, 'expert' is a bit strong - I think most people know a crackpot when they see one.

You're right there. Keep condemning yourself with your continual drivel.

I always thought our players' attempts to pass and move were pretty hilarious under Allardyce as well. Can remember regularly commenting how glad I was Sam knew how to get results with a tactic that didn't involve stringing many passes together... cos our team has been terrible at that for a longgg time.

His teams passed the ball well when the pressure was off and the game was won. His approach was safety first before then and we were none the worse for that.

Archived