BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Marquee signing

imy9

The problem is, we are Blackburn rovers, the world of football is against us, money is against us, players wages is against us transfer and agent fees are against us...

If we but a bid in for kaka for £50 mill then we would be out bid in seconds by man city or some other team that has a lot more than venkys have...

So we will never get some high name celebrity world class pansy wanting 100k plus a week.... just won't happen...

Now, we know that... bout time venkys learnt that.. its the transfer market they are playing in, not the chicken market...

I disagree.

Did you predict that Beckham would end up at LA Galaxy or Sol Campbell at Notts County? (the latter not directly related to our situation but still relevant).

If you have got the money and the ambition you can sign players above your normal station.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think everyone would want to see donovan at ewood but he will not leave La Galaxy unti they win the mls.

Honda would be a great signing as would players like lukas Podolski and bojan.

Does the MLS own Donovan's contract like most MLS players, or is he owned outright under the designated player rule? I confess that I'm not the best when it comes to following the MLS or its rules, and probably won't be until it gets a relegation system into place.

If owned by the MLS, it shouldn't be a problem. Offer them 10 million or so and we have him. Wages should not be a problem. If owned by the Galaxy, then I think we should still be able to land him, assuming Venkys focus is not limited to South America (a very big assumption).

Tottenham and Liverpool are both interested in signing Manchester City side Emmanuel Adebayor on loan. The Eastlands side would prefer to send the Togo striker to Anfield rather than risk him finding form with Spurs, a potential rival for a Champions league spot.

Full story: the Sun

Malaga have also made an audacious attempt to land Adebayor on loan after Real Madrid cooled their interest in the forward.

Adebayor on loan would make the Rovers an instant threat of a top 8 finish, but not so much of one that ManC need feel concerned. Someone call ManC. :P

Juninho Percambucano, only because his free kicks are wicked!

Hidoteshi Nakata

Jay Jay Okocha

Filipo Inzaghi

Allessandro Del Piero

Pablo Aimar

Riquelme

Marcos Senna

Agree with all of the above. We should go for Lars Ricken, Fredi Bobic, Antonio Conte and Luigi Apolloni as well.

Juninho Percambucano, only because his free kicks are wicked!

Hidoteshi Nakata

Jay Jay Okocha

Filipo Inzaghi

Allessandro Del Piero

Pablo Aimar

Riquelme

Marcos Senna

i dont have a clue if the 1st 2 are still playing though

Nakata hasn't played since 2006. Okocha was last season warming the bench at Hull.

Stop making these daft lists, you're not doing yourself any favours at all.

Edit: My choice would be to try and tempt Thierry Henry with a Beckham-esque loan (then maybe have a bash at making that permanent if it goes well).

Last night I was seriously wondering about Torres, Gerrard and perhaps Kuyt. The first two would be marque signings less sure about Kuyt.

It's marque BTW unless we need a giant tent for snow protection!

Last night I was seriously wondering about Torres, Gerrard and perhaps Kuyt. The first two would be marque signings less sure about Kuyt.

Given your sig I have little interest in your opinion although I think it's fair for me to say I don't think you should be spending too much time giving you opinions on spending the 'blood money' (as I'm sure you see it).

And no, the first two wouldn't come as they would leave for trophies.

What a stupid thing to say (in your signature). It appears its the fans that want to make us into Newcastle rather than the media.

What exactly was wrong with the performance last night that makes you think a stay away protest will do anything apart from harm? After last night, anyone still missing Sam needs to consider getting treatment for depression.

What a stupid thing to say (in your signature). It appears its the fans that want to make us into Newcastle rather than the media.

What exactly was wrong with the performance last night that makes you think a stay away protest will do anything apart from harm? After last night, anyone still missing Sam needs to consider getting treatment for depression.

It's far less stupid than attempting to sign Ronaldhino. I don't think we need a marque signing but if we do then to look at players like Torres and Gerrard would make far more sense. They wouldn't come I'm sure but then this thread is about dream signings is it not?

If you read my signature you will see it uses the word "management" not manager. Last night's performance was excellent that is not a result of the management of our club - the owners.I was never a Sam fan.

No it isn't, Kuyt aside.

Can you explain why? I'd have thought Torres and Gerrard are two internationally known names with PL experience and therefore likely to have a greater impact on the pitch than Ronaldhino?

It's far less stupid than attempting to sign Ronaldhino. I don't think we need a marque signing but if we do then to look at players like Torres and Gerrard would make far more sense. They wouldn't come I'm sure but then this thread is about dream signings is it not?

If you read my signature you will see it uses the word "management" not manager. Last night's performance was excellent that is not a result of the management of our club - the owners.I was never a Sam fan.

I'd change it to say current owners then. The management tag covers everybody from JW down.

You can dream about Torres and Gerrard but the chance of them turning up here is like waiting for a lottery win for a ticket you bought last year, it ain't gonna happen.

Can you explain why? I'd have thought Torres and Gerrard are two internationally known names with PL experience and therefore likely to have a greater impact on the pitch than Ronaldhino?

That is why they are less realistic and therefore not worth going for. They will only leave for a team who already plays in the Champions League. Imagine Bolton had just received a large amount of money and you saw their fans linking them with Gerrard and Torres. You'd be laughing.

Ronaldinho was available and could have come for the money, this is why there was a chance it could happen. This is why there is far more chance of us signing Ronaldinho (probably even right now with him possibly already signing the dotted line). Your point was on attempting to sign people, not the impact they would have on the pitch.

You were wrong.

Does the MLS own Donovan's contract like most MLS players, or is he owned outright under the designated player rule? I confess that I'm not the best when it comes to following the MLS or its rules, and probably won't be until it gets a relegation system into place.

If owned by the MLS, it shouldn't be a problem. Offer them 10 million or so and we have him. Wages should not be a problem. If owned by the Galaxy, then I think we should still be able to land him, assuming Venkys focus is not limited to South America (a very big assumption).

Dono is a DP, but it is very difficult to buy players from mls clubs, as most of the clubs look at players as commodities that will make the club money rather than just getting results.

and the MLS will never have relegation, its a business first and a game second over here.

Could've sworn it's marquee, as it drawing people in as if to a big top.

I'd change it to say current owners then. The management tag covers everybody from JW down.

You're right. Thanks

You can dream about Torres and Gerrard but the chance of them turning up here is like waiting for a lottery win for a ticket you bought last year, it ain't gonna happen.

It is about dreaming or so I thought. Last night as I watched us murder Liverpool it occurred to me trying to sign those players, or at least one, would make as big a statement as Ronaldhino. Wish I hadn't bothered now I didn't realise this thread was so serious.

You were wrong.

braddock I'm not going to argue OK. This is a thread about dream signings that would promote the Rovers name. I think the players I mentioned would have that effect. It can't be right or wrong.

braddock I'm not going to argue OK. This is a thread about dream signings that would promote the Rovers name. I think the players I mentioned would have that effect. It can't be right or wrong.

I think you've misunderstood the point though.

It's not about plucking names that you'd like to see play for Rovers in your dreams, it's about picking (semi) realistic star names that we could potentially sign to satisfy this desire the new owners have of getting a marquee signing.

Ronaldinho did fit into that category, there aren't many clubs after him and it seems only the lure of his homeland his ruled it out. I can't find words to describe how unrealistic Gerrard and Torres are.

Could've sworn it's marquee, as it drawing people in as if to a big top.

You're right:

[as modifier] leading; pre-eminent:a marquee player[with allusion to the practice of billing the name of an entertainer on the canopy over the entrance to a theatre]

When I first tried to find the definition I could only find marque in relation to prestigious etc. and marquee as a tent. Have now found the above, you learn something every day.

I think you've misunderstood the point though.

Yes, clearly. Reading the names in this thread so have a fair few others. I'm off before it gets worse. :)

Lets sign Messi and George Best then eh?

Archived