BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Marquee signing

imy9

But the club are working on ‘solid, experience premier league type’ signings – or do you think Charlie Adam, RSC etc are just gimmicks too??….The marquee signing is just the marketing tool to help us tap into new markets and grow our brand (aswell as Venkys) and to grow our revenue streams.

It helps when trying to make it big in other parts of the world if you have players who they already love in other countries….even experienced players like Scott Parker or Darren Bent wouldn’t do that…you need a big name to do that – a Ronaldinho, Beckham, Honda, Park etc.

As for the ‘move over city’ comment – if you want TOP CLASS players who bring with them MASSIVE income opportunities then you have to pay them MUCH bigger wages & fees.

I think you may find a huge difference in wage packets when discussing Ronaldinho and Beckham, to the likes of Honda and Park (particularly when he first signed for United).

I would also hasten to add you might get more out of those two than you would out of a Brazilian with no intention to play for a club apart from a last payday.

From what I hear this Honda is a decent player, who I assume still has alot to prove.. Unlike Ronaldinho.

I fear that, as i mentioned above, its a marquee signing, or no signings.

Publicity is the priority for Venkys (they're business people, not football fans)

I think you have misunderstood the city comment. I merely meant that Venkys want to make a statement, as City did with the Robinho signing. Unfortunately as we all know we are now comparing two football clubs worlds apart with their respective aspirations. Then again according to Mrs Desai we should be competing with them to take fourth spot :rolleyes:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I don't care about 'marquee signings'. All I want is a couple of good footballers to replace the dross we have to field every week. Our owners aren't rich enough to secure the kind of talent that is being spoken of on here. They should be rich enough however to bring in the quality that we so desperately need.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter as well.

Though if Venky's do want to get anywhere near the top 5 they're going to need to make a 'marquee' signing in order to boost the club's profile.

Problem is I can't think of a single player willing and available to come here who is on that level. Dinho was probably the best chance we had and even he was a long shot. Beckham won't come here, either.

I don't care about 'marquee signings'. All I want is a couple of good footballers to replace the dross we have to field every week. Our owners aren't rich enough to secure the kind of talent that is being spoken of on here. They should be rich enough however to bring in the quality that we so desperately need.

Hmm, the bookies reckon that we are unlikely to spend more than 5 million on any one player. Whenever past managers have had similar amounts to spend they found it very difficult to uncover anyone to excite the fans. Allardyce ran down so many blind alleys until, with some desperation I reckon, he splurged 6m on Kalinic. Ince ended up with Grella - a smack of desperation about that one too. Hughes had less to spend but remember the Mido saga? He had to make do with flawed individuals..........but he was a master at that thankfully.

I await the unveilings prior to the QPR match with interest.

I'd rather have Del Piero, But like all names we could mention we'd have no chance.

That is a good shout if he wanted to play in the PL in his career. With money, would be achieveable I think although Juve are doing well in Seria A this year last time I looked.

On the other thread, best ideas I could come up with were Raul and Thierry Henry. The former being quite achievable if you ask me but again, not a Ronaldinho.

Donovan or Honda, those are the only two remotely realistic. Maybe Forlan too but he wouldn't generate the same interest I think...

I agree with these three. But in light of their focus on Maradona and Ronaldinho, their sponsorship of Brazil soccer, and their business interests in Brazil, it appears that Venkys wants a South American celebrity for their own purposes. That makes Forlan or someone like him more likely. Or maybe Pele as chief scout?

Though I think with the money they had on offer for Ronaldinho, Venkys could get Donovan and Honda, or close to it.

I'm struggling to come up with another player who could an extra 5k on our home attendences outside of Becks and Ronnie.......

I think assembling a squad which was genuinely challenging for a top 6 finish would have the same result.

I HATE henry with a passion.

I don't care for him either. And I think for the same money you'd get Donovan or Honda.

Juninho Percambucano, only because his free kicks are wicked!

Hidoteshi Nakata

Jay Jay Okocha

Filipo Inzaghi

Allessandro Del Piero

Pablo Aimar

Riquelme

Marcos Senna

i dont have a clue if the 1st 2 are still playing though

Juninho Percambucano, only because his free kicks are wicked!

Hidoteshi Nakata

Jay Jay Okocha

Filipo Inzaghi

Allessandro Del Piero

Pablo Aimar

Riquelme

Marcos Senna

i dont have a clue if the 1st 2 are still playing though

make an offer for Kaka, plesse Venkys ;)

3 players has to be Honda, Suarez and perhaps Forlan

other names

Fredi Kanoute

Llorente

Robben

Hulk

jeez, i never thought i would mention these names, in the knowing that we perhaps might be able to sign them.

The problem is, we are Blackburn rovers, the world of football is against us, money is against us, players wages is against us transfer and agent fees are against us...

If we but a bid in for kaka for £50 mill then we would be out bid in seconds by man city or some other team that has a lot more than venkys have...

So we will never get some high name celebrity world class pansy wanting 100k plus a week.... just won't happen...

Now, we know that... bout time venkys learnt that.. its the transfer market they are playing in, not the chicken market...

Tevez still looking for a move? :rolleyes:

or what about ---

Tottenham and Liverpool are both interested in signing Manchester City side Emmanuel Adebayor on loan. The Eastlands side would prefer to send the Togo striker to Anfield rather than risk him finding form with Spurs, a potential rival for a Champions league spot.

Full story: the Sun

Malaga have also made an audacious attempt to land Adebayor on loan after Real Madrid cooled their interest in the forward.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Archived