BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Marquee signing

imy9

It's far less stupid than attempting to sign Ronaldhino. I don't think we need a marque signing . . .

The Rovers do not need a marque signing, but Venkys does. Remember we are a business advertising platform to them. Getting the name "Venkys" out and about was a big reason for them buying the club.

Can you explain why? I'd have thought Torres and Gerrard are two internationally known names with PL experience and therefore likely to have a greater impact on the pitch than Ronaldhino?

They are known as great players. But Venkys is apparently fixated on South America. I'm not sure how excited the South American fans would be about the Rovers (i.e. Venkys) signing Torres and Gerard.

and the MLS will never have relegation, its a business first and a game second over here.

Which is why I watch EPL, not the MLS.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owners want a big name whether they get it is another thing.

The whole Ronaldinho was a joke. I don't believe they were prepared to spend a penny on him just a big stunt to impress and get everyone to know what they're all about.

Venkys have got their new toy. I just hope they don't abuse the football club. Having millions is one thing, spending it wisely in the Premiership is another. Bringing in a huge name signing might be a good thing in terms of bringing in money, but what if a big name player on big money comes, gets bored and not interested. Other players in the club then want better contracts?

Let's be realistic over potential targets. This is Rovers, attracting big names to the club will be hard. The stadium is good however it's not 50,000 every week etc, training ground facilities are impressive. However Blackburn as a location to attract big name players will be hard enough.

Possibly the most over rated player of all time!

Nah, he's a genius. And I've watched him whenever I can for years.

And he isn't leaving Roma, he's got a contract until 2014 then will become a club director. Their fans would probably burn the stadium down if he left.

The owners want a big name whether they get it is another thing.

The whole Ronaldinho was a joke. I don't believe they were prepared to spend a penny on him just a big stunt to impress and get everyone to know what they're all about.

Surely it was just a win win situation; if he wants to come here then they have Ronaldinho playing for their club with all the marketing possibilities he brings, if he doesn't then they still get the exposure from trying.

Reality is they DID offer him money. No point in people banging on about it just being a publicity stunt when it isn't true.

Reality is they DID offer him money. No point in people banging on about it just being a publicity stunt when it isn't true.

And we know this how? Because nicko said so? And even if they had told his agent they'll pay him x amount of pounds, we'll never know if they would've stayed behind their words had Ronaldinho, for some reason, agreed to come to Rovers.

In my honest opinion for what its worth, I dont think there will be any signings of the nature of Ronaldinho or the like, Venkys were trying to make a statement, they are still 'stage struck' and the publicity was good, not sure if they have the money for signings of that nature, indeed, I dont see any evidence of a bid for any player and think that we will see a couple of loan signings.

These are not marquee signings but a small list of players in Portugal that I would love to see playing for Rovers:

Falcão, FC Porto striker (30 million € release clause)

Hulk, Fc Porto forward

João Moutinho, FC Porto midfielder (signed from Sporting Lisbon for €10 million)

Álvaro Pereira, FC Porto left back

Rolando, FC Porto centre back

Daniel Carriço, Sporting Lisbon centre back

Jorge Fucile, FC Porto full back

Fernando, FC Porto defensive midfielder

André Santos, Sporting Lisbon defensive midfielder

Fabio Coentrão, Benfica left back

David Luiz, Benfica centre back

Maxi pereira, SL Benfica right back

Javi garcia, SL Benfica defensive midfielder

Oscar Cardozo, SL Benfica striker

• Backroom

I'd love to see Coentrão here, think he can play as an attacking left mid as well can't he? Coentrão and Olsson on the left would be seriously dangerous.

Sadly, he'd probably cost way too much :(

• Backroom

Fabio Coentrao was an attacking midfielder until last season when his manager put him as left back since Di Maria was the attacking midfielder

Kind of a reverse Olsson then!

I think they'd be fantastic down the left and could easily interchange with each other throughout the match.

Saw a previous post mentioning Wagner Love, I now have visions of the long haired, lion hugging X-Factor finalist running around our midfield like a lunatic, shouting along to Keef's pointing!! Or back at the pimp den with the Rao (read Chuckle) brothers - as seen on SSN the other day!

You always need one signing to start things off, maybe Venky's are setting their sights too high, although nothing wrong with that. Just be glad to see a couple of fresh bodies in IMO.

Is Totti still playing?

What about fat ronaldo? He's still playing right?

Off the top of my head, only he and Henry would fit our criteria of being both a marquee signing who would raise our profile worldwide immediately and are available (probably).

What about fat ronaldo? He's still playing right?

Off the top of my head, only he and Henry would fit our criteria of being both a marquee signing who would raise our profile worldwide immediately and are available (probably).

Why on earth would you want fat ronaldo?

In my honest opinion for what its worth, I dont think there will be any signings of the nature of Ronaldinho or the like, Venkys were trying to make a statement, they are still 'stage struck' and the publicity was good, not sure if they have the money for signings of that nature, indeed, I dont see any evidence of a bid for any player and think that we will see a couple of loan signings.

If they do indeed have the money and are still intent on landing a "marquis" signing I think it is more likely now that we will at some point end up with a signing of that ilk.

Everyone now knows we are in the market for, and have the money for (supposedly) a signing of that nature. You would have thought that an opportunistic agent would push one our way sooner or later.

Why on earth would you want fat ronaldo?

I'm not really keen on him but he does fit the owner's criteria of being a "big" name and is available cheaply.

Having said that, I think he'll probably score more goals than any of our current strikers. After all, since he got fat, his game is all about finishing half chances so he might strive on knockdowns from Samba :lol:

I understand that as fans we would love a Marquee signing but lets be honest it will be difficult to get someone who is instantly going to improve our squad. They are going to have to take a massive leap of faith that other players will come. Before we can sign someone in Beckham range (talking about his popularity not his skill level) you have to have other people around him who can help him bring the team forward.

So I think we need to lower our sights and bring in 2 very good people, to show that we mean business. Example Lassana Diarra and Gennaro Gattuso (Not saying either would come but are available)

By signing two people of the quality of these two players would send out the right message. That would then allow us to go out and sign a Marrquee or flair player. They will have seen we are improving our squad and they will be able to play the way they want to play and the way the fans want to see.

By going on SSN and saying oh we have bid for Ronaldinhio and we will also bring in Roque Santa Cruz and Damien Duff. Just makes the owners look completely stupid.

Of course I am happy that finally we have some money to spend but lets build the foundations first.

Cheers

BKR

A dream marquee signing for me would be Yohann Gourcuff. Young and extremely talented. Hasn't done so well for Lyon this year from what I hear. THis is the kind of signing I'd love to see. A player who can stay at the club for a couple of years and only rise in value. Unrealistic? Yeah, probably but one can always dream... :)

A dream marquee signing for me would be Yohann Gourcuff. Young and extremely talented. Hasn't done so well for Lyon this year from what I hear. THis is the kind of signing I'd love to see. A player who can stay at the club for a couple of years and only rise in value. Unrealistic? Yeah, probably but one can always dream... :)

It's not a marquee signing. I doubt most of our fans have even heard of him.

I think people can't differentiate between good signings and crowd-pullers.

Archived