BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grant Hanley

• Moderation Lead

Not bad at all. He just needs time to bed in. It was interesting that in the academy he was apparently rated more highly than Jones!

Pleased he's got his first call up though :rover:

Doesn't seem to have a topic of his own yet (well I can't find it anyway).

First Scotland call-up - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9383384.stm

What do you think of him so far?

Congrats to Hanley for the first call-up. I think he should be loaned out next season. Samba, Jones, Nelsen and Givet are ahead of him.

Always good to see a Rover in the dark blue, even though he's clearly nowhere near ready for international football. Just being in the squad will be a boost for the lad though even if he doesn't play.

Levein has been tossing caps about like confetti in friendlies, but a few of the young players like Wilson and Bannan have aquitted themsevles rather well.

• Backroom

Not meaning to knock one of our own but he looks quite a way away from premiership standard yet, the standard of Scottish football must be even worse than I thought.

Good luck to him though.

I believe that Hanley and Jones will form a solid partnership at the back for Rovers. People are being a bit unrealistic in expecting him to be a Premier-class centre half now. Give him time to get experience before judging. Agree a loan would be a good move for him. Maybe to a team like Aberdeen, Dundee United or Middlesbrough would suit him and Rovers. :brfcsmilie:

yea im not to convinced at the min, he was warming up in front of me at westbrom game and i didnt think he looked physically very strong or tall(for a centre back) and he doesnt seem to have much pressance when he plays. But then hes still young and growing, could be a good squad player and i also think he could benefit from a season out on loan playing regularly.

If Jones hadn't made such an impact then I expect we would all be thinking very positive about Hanley becoming the next youth player to make the step up into the Rovers first team squad, unfortunately for him, there is a lot more pressure on him to make a big impact quickly like Jones has.

In the future he will be a very good defender but there is no rush and he's got plenty of time to get experience and enjoy learning the game. I can't wait to see his progress in the next couple of years.

Hanley is better than Jones at reading the game imo.

Jones is a better technical defender ala Samba

Hanley is like a Nelsen sort of defender, full of guts,determination etc.

Well Done Hanley!

I think he will make it but looks atliverpools martin kelly hes only starting to come to foray at the age of 22. Maybe Hanley at 20/21 willdo the same.

Hanley is better than Jones at reading the game imo.

Spot on. He's reading of the game at West Brom was 1st class...completely shut Odemwingi out mre or less every time the ball was played forward. However, lacks pace and seems a bit on the heavy side to me...If we are to step up to the european places and perhaps even top 4, then we'll need better...maybe he'll prove me wrong, but a Tiny Taylor/Keith Hill type player....Never quite good enough.

yea im not to convinced at the min, he was warming up in front of me at westbrom game and i didnt think he looked physically very strong

Umm, how could you tell whether he was physically very strong from a warmup? Was he bench pressing?

To be honest, I'm not that convinced by him yet either. Can't envision him becoming top class- he lacks pace. Maybe if he slims down a bit and focuses on the right kind of training he might gain some yards and step up, but otherwise I can't see him becoming more than a lower bottom half Prem level defender. Would love to be proven wrong though :rover:

And a loan to Scotland wouldn't do anybody any favours.

Jones is a better technical defender ala Samba

First time I've heard Samba described as a technical defender!

Samba is a blood and guts defender - last ditch tackles, towering headers under pressure, heroic blocks. Despite being comfortable with the ball when he's attacking, he lets himself down technically in defence, hence the regular mistakes (see Chelsea for his most recent one).

Anyway, back to Hanley. I recall McEveley being called up for Scotland after breaking through with us as well. I have a good feeling about him though, we desperately need young players like him filling squad positions instead of journeymen. I'm not sure he'll ever be the first choice centre half though.

Jones has a bit of both Samba and Nelsen's games.

Is dominant in the air, and makes up for lack of pace for reading the game. He gets wrong side sometimes but his recovery is extremely good a la Nelsen.

Hanley seems an all round defender but I am still not convinced that he will be good enough to play regularly long-term for us as first choice center back.

LeChuck I hadnt read your comments when I wrote mine but its striking that we both thought the same about Hanley.

I seem to recall John Terry not being the quickest centre half in thw world either. Pace isn't everything if you read the game well. Lets get behind him rather than discarding him.

It isn't everything, and I'm not discarding him. I'm just not convinced by him at this time, not going to lie about it. Hopefully he improves, he is still young. Terry was faster though, despite not being the fastest.

Archived