BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pubs can show live TV feeds from EU

How could this effect the income of Premier league teams? If Sky decided not to pay so highly because they didn't have exclusivity and it became commonplace in most pubs and possibly even homes it could seriously effect income which teams like Rovers depend upon.

Good for the pubs though.

Sky aren't greedy.

The Premier League set the price and Sky are the only ones who can afford to pay it.

If a company was greedy it would go bust

If you think about the implications for this, it could be massive. It could affect player wages, ticket prices, ground attendance, the emergence if a european super league etc etc.

Crazy. I didn't expect Sky to lose.

Sky Germany, Sky Italia, Greek Nova, Polish Canal Plus+ and Norway TV2 Viasat also show most. Between them it is a rare occasion that a 3PM match isn't on. There are more.

LiveonSat - if you visit this page and go to Daily TV on the menu, select the date you want and it should list who is showing what matches.

Crazy really that they have dedicated Premier League channels in some countries that show 3PM matches but not here.

Bad news for the league. Will make no difference to SKY, they make money as it is. All this will do is mean that they may have to pay less when working out a deal next time.

does this affect pubs who stream games over the internet??

Or is that still a bit of a grey area?

I would imagine that you would still have to be paying for some European satellite deal. If you are tapping into an illegal feed over the internet then that will still be illegal. If you have subscribed to a foreign provider then that will be allowed.

Bad news for clubs like Rovers this, surely it effects walk on traffic at Ewood if people can just watch in the pub

But they can and they do Tom. Everybody knows where they can see the match most weekends around the pubs and clubs and if they can't they can usually stream it.

Stopping this is like peeing into the wind. I presume Sky will try to appeal? Furthermore who do you know who thinks the remuneration of Premier footballers is justified?

Que sera sera.

does this affect pubs who stream games over the internet??

Think that is worse, I would assume they aren't paying anyone for a subscription meaning they are stealing. If they are paying, it will probably be some dodgy bloke who isn't in anyway affiliated with the EPL.

Suppose there could be further knock on effects. Surely if pubs where to be allowed to show foreign channels legally, then legal streaming of these channels would become acceptable also. The reccomendation is not binding but it certainly should be interesting when the court rules for real. Its rather ironic that the case was brought by a landlady whose local team without Sky money would have hit the wall last year.

As for the business side regarding, Sky, PL and the clubs they should have factored the possibility of this sort of ruling into their business plans as its been going on a while now, it is upto businesses to evolve with the times. Sky and the PL will have no problems as Sky provide the pictures for the world, The PL will still get their fees for the various markets, the majority of English consumers will want their football presented in English so SKY and ESPN will be fairly safe. The clubs however may be forced to rethink stratagy hopefully more towards a Rovers model with ticket prices to keep attendences up, clubs don't make the majority of their cash with selling tickets anymore anyway they will still pull their TV revenues probably more if SKY and ESPN exploit the ruling to their benefit.

Sky aren't greedy.

The Premier League set the price and Sky are the only ones who can afford to pay it.

Is that really how you think business works?

Sky are prepared to pay the most for it and the EPL charge what they are prepared to pay. If Sky paid less, teh EPL would have to charge less (or sell to another company who will pay more).

P.S. I know you can't read my reply.... :rolleyes:

Sky aren't greedy.

If you think about the implications for this, it could be massive. It could affect player wages, ticket prices, ground attendance, the emergence if a european super league etc etc.

I agree that the Prem highlights package doesn't make Sky greedy- they pay a LOT of money for it, and obviously aren't going to be pleased if people then stop using their services because they can get it for free (though from a fan's perspective who can't get to a game, it's understandable to watch it like this). Yes, Sky are very rich, but we're talking billions here. It isn't chicken feed, even to them.

But I'm not sure why you said if a company was greedy it would go bust. Surely you mean if a company WASNT greedy it would go bust.

And yes the implications could be massive, but the article doesn't state Sky have lost. "The European Court of Justice (ECJ) will make a ruling on the matter later this year."

Edit- Oh and I'm not sure the Prem set the price, always thought it was more of an auction.

I think pubs need help more from their breweries also whats to stop people getting different channels in their own homes legally in light of the predicted ruling?

One thing I am very happy about is surely this is the end of the ridiculous times where sometimes people can't even going to get a Radio streams like the Villa game the other week which in some ways adds legitimacy to pubs showing games, people streaming on the Internet. Not everyone wants to travel to games or pay extortianate prices to the bigger clubs.

whats to stop people getting different channels in their own homes legally in light of the predicted ruling?

That is legal and has been for a very long time. This rule makes no difference to that. Many people watch Sky UK while living abroad and vice versa, the hard part is subscribing to it when abroad. Although some cards don't require subscription, just a one off payment.

You can get cards on eBay, like Cyfra, Al Jazeera Sport, Tring, Greek Nova. All you need to do is have a compatible satellite box and a big enough dish pointed in the right direction. Most of them also have English Commentary :blink:

Sky aren't greedy.

Have you ever heard of monopolies? Sky are price-makers and can be due to the extreme lack of competition. There is no doubt they make excessive amounts of money, but that's good business.

Perhaps greedy was a bad description. I wasn't really referring to what they pay for the rights but more what they charge the public and in this case the pubs for the package.

I receive all the PL games in Thailand which are included in what they call their Gold package, this includes lifestyle, music, discovery, movie and sport for around £28p/m, there years ago when first installed it was less than £20p/m due to the strength of the pound.

The basic package is £12p/m with no football and reduced number of channels in all the other categories.

On a Saturday for instance they dedicate a channel for each of the games played, so normally 8 matches on a Saturday and the two on Sunday.

The top packages on Sky are what £60-70pm in the UK. I don't subscribe in the UK any more. :D

Have you ever heard of monopolies? Sky are price-makers and can be due to the extreme lack of competition. There is no doubt they make excessive amounts of money, but that's good business.

The price they charge is dictated by the Premier league.

A monopoly isn't by definition greedy, just inefficient. I don't think you can accuse them of not being innovative either.

Archived