BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams Appreciation Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry you are leaving John. you will be sadly missed, but fondly remembered!

you have had many outstanding acheivements, whilst also guiding the club through very difficult times.

throughout your tenure you have always done things with us rovers fans in mind, and i have always felt valued by the club and yourself, and felt an even closer connection.

thank you for everything, you have been nothing short of magnificent.

all the best!

Has there ever been a better chairman for any club? I support his decision to leave the club, things are changing and its clearly being run differently, I think having to sack sam was the last straw personally and thought he would have moved on then.

Thank you John Williams, you will be greatly missed, your successor has a GREAT expectation to live up to if he/she is to become anything like the chairman you have been for rovers.

Thanks John, your presence will be missed at the club, you were the man who kept this fantastic football club in the Premier League and your hard work and dedication to the cause will be not only be missed but also remembered in history. It always makes me proud to know that a club of our stature has been able to keep ourselves in the top tier and this is no doubt down to yourself and the rest of the board. I wish you the best in your future endeavours and hope you stay in football, if not then football has lost a great man. All the best.

Top Banana – Met him & few times, Top bloke, not local – but loves the club. Superb person to help maintain the Jack Walker legacy and to keep us at the top with minimal resources.

In terms of business decisions, appointing him to keep the ship steady was the best bit of business we have done. A true gent, and I hope he enjoys the rest of his life – looking back a proud man of what he has achieved.

• Backroom

Top top man who will be missed at Ewood.

As long as John feels this is the right decision for him and his family that's all that counts.

Thank you and good luck John

I never met Mr Williams but I got the impression that he is a decent, very pleasant bloke. I beleive that he is a Hampshire native but it seemed that he developed a real passion for Rovers.

He was a fine ambassador for our club.

I wont pretend to know the circumstances behind the parting of the ways but Mr Williams is not a young man and perhaps he feels now is a good time to step aside the club having changed hands.

I would like to wish Mr Williams all the very best in whatever his future holds.

Jack build it, John nurtured it - and he did it in the true spirit of Rovers "Arte et Labore".

If there was one thing I wanted when venkys took over it was for John to stay on and keep the Rovers spirit alive.

John, thank you for for keeping Jacks dream alive during your tenure.

Best wishes

A Danish Rover

John, good luck for the future. I am honoured that a man such as yourself has been connected with my club over the last 14 years. You deserve every positive piece of appreciation on this board and elsewhere. I can't think of another chairman who is loved as you are, and that is something that you should be proud of.

When the Venkys have done with Rovers, and have moved onto another plaything, I hope Rovers will still be in your heart and you would consider returning as you would be welcomed back with wider open arms than most ex-players.

As an onlooker from abroad, I've never experienced John Williams in person but I can certainly appreciate what he has done for the club from the outside. Few clubs have managed to be as stable as Blackburn have in the time I've been following the club, and that achievement, on what is one of the smaller budgets of the premier league, is inspirational. I've always been drawn in by the story of the (relatively) small town club rolling with (and rolling over!) the 'big clubs' and his work has been an important part of realizing that. Thank you!

Thank you John - every happiness and success in whatever your future holds for you and your family. Your legacy shines through in what Rovers have achieved over the course of your stewardship, with relatively meagre resources . The heartfelt sentiments expressed here illustrate the regard you are held by the family of Rovers fans. I can't think of another football UK Chairman/Chief Exec held in similar regard, certainly not in the Premiership. Best wishes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest a petition to get a stand named after John - now that would be an interesting one for the new regime to field in the context of Venkys marketing strategy (term used loosely), although IMHO similar action for Ronnie and Dougie is long, long, overdue.

If we were to name a stand after John then we wouldn't have one left to use because surely there are quite a number of people in the line before him

Bob Fox

Bryan Douglas

Ronnie Clayton

Simon Garner

The entire 1995 team

and so on

I don't think any Chairman at any club is ever thought of with the fondness Rovers fans have for JW. That says a lot for what for he has done for the club. All the best in your retirement John.

EDIT - If it wasn't for the ticking prices my son and me wouldn't have been able to get season tickets so for giving me the chance to take my son on Rovers as he is growing, up words can't start to explain my gratitude :brfc:

Thank you John, your actions, decisions and running of the club have been spot on, you kept Jacks legacy alive. The FA would be daft not to sign you up straight away. A top bloke who Blackburn 1st, whoever you bring in Venkys have massive shoes to fill.

I can only echo many of the sentiments already stated on here. You should be very proud of your achievements at Blackburn Rovers Mr.Williams.

I had the pleasure of meeting you on a couple of occasions and it was evident to all that you were unique amongst Chairmen in that you actually did care what the average fan thought.

Best wishes for the future John and a heartfelt thank you. I only hope the club does not come to rue this day; although I feel it may.

Mr. Williams was all that one could ask for in a chairman. Dignity, approachability, care for his wards, everything.

You will be missed, more so with every passing day. And with every passing day, more will come to realise why, and more importantly how.

God bless you and thank you for every day of those years you worked for us all.

Archived