BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bring back Big Sam

Mercer

The decision to get rid of Sam was only the correct one if they were to bring in someone better than him at managing that squad. Either that, or a vastly increased transfer budget, and someone who would do a better job of managing it than Sam.

Neither scenario emerged. In fact, there was some confusion as to whether Kean was manager for 10 games, manager for a few weeks, manager until the end of the season or permanent manager. Which suggests they put as much thought into it as they would into deciding what pants to wear that day.

It wasn't just a bad decision, it was outright bloody criminal.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ten days ago, we would have written the same thing about Jerome Anderson and Steve Kean not going....

Who knows how far reality is impinging on Mrs Desai's thoughts.

So is it confirmed they have gone yet?

Sam would never be asked to come back, there are other managers that could come in and do a job. We are not even in the bottom three and people are writing us off and panicking, under this current management its a possibility we will go down if we change manager and staff the whole situation could change after 3 points, the league is very tight.

So is it confirmed they have gone yet?

Sam would never be asked to come back, there are other managers that could come in and do a job. We are not even in the bottom three and people are writing us off and panicking, under this current management its a possibility we will go down if we change manager and staff the whole situation could change after 3 points, the league is very tight.

I can only hope Mrs Desai is NOT thinking like you.

Hopefully she is looking at where we are on the current form table.

My position is simple- I described Sam as the creature of Ince. In other words, he was appointed to do the job he did which was to pull us back from 5 points from safety, not to play sexy football. He was not my preferred candidate either when Ince got it or when Sam got it.

I will be honest with you, I wish he were not my preferred candidate now. But whilst we are above the drop zone (just), we are also in freefall and have fewer games left. So, it is safety, first middle and last for me which means we should look nowhere else except to call Sam back in, even if it is just a ten game contract with a dirty big bonus on the end.

He knows the players and even the biggest Sam knockers would not argue against Sam being virtually certain to collect 12 points from the ten remaining games and delivering PL football next season.

You cannot say that about anybody else.

I am not disagreeing with you about Kean going, we need a manager at the helm and Kean isnt a manager, I dont think players respect him.

All I am saying is that if we managed to snare the likes of Ranieri and he brings with him some quality staff the players will be instantly buzzing which could lead to a honeymoon period which would probably be enough to keep us safe.

Plenty of teams are still in the mire so I am not flapping just yet.

Plenty of teams are still in the mire so I am not flapping just yet.

Nor am I, quite. But my glass is less half-full than I like it to be.

This survey of this year's Premier League My link was in yesterday's "Guardian". It could be quite a useful reference point as the remainder of the season unwinds.

Yeah, let's rehire the manager we controversially sacked three months ago, whose monumental ego would probably implode on itself if he was asked to come back.

There's more than one man who can save this club.

Yeah, let's rehire the manager we controversially sacked three months ago, whose monumental ego would probably implode on itself if he was asked to come back.

It's truly pathetic that sections of our fans would still put their dislike of the man over the future of the club.

He's much better than any of our realistic options..sadly it wouldn't happen.

The best chance of us avoiding the drop would be to get Sam back.

It's just a question if Mrs. D and her brothers could face it to keep their investment alive.

Football is about money, it talks, and I would hope Sam would be listening.

I thought you said you'd reached a state of "ennui"?

In terms of getting a short term impact (which is what we need), if we are serious about saving ourselves from relgation (as crazy as it sounds) Sam has to be considered IMO to come back on a short term deal.

From Venky's perspective, taking into account the financial implications of relegation, it would be worth the humble pie. The priority now has to be to stay up AT ALL COSTS. Our situation is very grim and we need to do all we can to preserve our PL status.

He is available, could come in straight away, and would not need time to learn about the players etc. Additionally would give the playing staff a boost as they all like him and have massive respect for him as a manager.

Obviously Steve Kean could not be part of that set up.....

Will never happen though.

It's truly pathetic that sections of our fans would still put their dislike of the man over the future of the club.

Very true - always said when we had him as manager, be careful for what you wish for and all that.

Our worst nightmare is sadly coming true and there could be no coming back.

I doubt it.

Why would he be pleased? Its a tragedy, he'll know it.

I bet he's still in touch with JW, I bet they're both gutted.

Because we binned him off as he "wasn't the right man to take us in the direction the owners wanted"

He will be loving it, no doubt about it. Think about it, if you got sacked and replaced with someone inferior, are you honestly telling me you wouldn't be loving it had that person failed miserably?

Maybe. I like to think he wouldn't want it for us though. :unsure:

I think Venky's deserve what is happening, wouldn't blame him for being happy about that.

But for our 135 year old club with traditions, heritage, decent players, loyal supporters, and backroom staff, that he was a part of, I imagine he'd not be smiling.

Because we binned him off as he "wasn't the right man to take us in the direction the owners wanted"

He will be loving it, no doubt about it. Think about it, if you got sacked and replaced with someone inferior, are you honestly telling me you wouldn't be loving it had that person failed miserably?

If it didn't have the repercussions it will no doubt have for Rovers, perhaps.

As it is, I would not be loving it at all.

Archived