BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NFL 2011 --lockout season

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive used the gamepass for work actually and it works very well. Good quality if you have a fast connection, even if you go to half or quarter screen with multiple games.

The red zone feature is useful if you have no particular rooting interest and just want to keep up to date with the what is happening around the league.

Worth the money.

Ive used the gamepass for work actually and it works very well. Good quality if you have a fast connection, even if you go to half or quarter screen with multiple games.

The red zone feature is useful if you have no particular rooting interest and just want to keep up to date with the what is happening around the league.

Worth the money.

Due to the horrible time difference between Thailand and the US I have used GamePass for the last two years and its totally worth the money.

You can watch all the games when ever you like. You can watch them as live or with all the adverts etc cut out.

Even from here in Thailand I can watch the games at full quality on the TV with no issues.

Cheers

BKR

The only college footy I know is geeking up at draft time. I've got espn now and watched a couple of games. How does the league work ? Any other tips ? Cheers.

Basic answer: There isn't a league, and it doesn't work, but it's f***ing brilliant anyway.

Long answer:

There are 120 "Division I" colleges. They have organised themselves into twelve conferences, all with different numbers of teams. Conferences were originally based on geography - the Big Ten conference is all midwestern teams, and the SEC is all southeastern teams. These days, the conferences are hugely driven by money and TV rights, and teams move to different conferences, which can get pretty controversial. There are also four teams - Navy, Army, Notre Dame and BYU - that are independent and not in any conference at all.

**Weird fact: The Big Ten conference has 12 teams, the Big Twelve conference has 10. For now.

Teams don't even play all of the teams in their conference. 66-75% of their schedule will be inter-conference games, and the rest can be against whoever they want. Schedules are decided about a year in advance, and strength of schedule does count for something when deciding national champions, but colleges are quite free to schedule the weakest teams they can possibly find. And it's more profitable to schedule a home game against a rubbish team than a difficult team on the road. That's why you'll see a lot of games like Kent State 7 - 48 Alabama and not many like TCU 48 - 50 Baylor.

The most annoying thing about college football is that there are no NCAA playoffs to determine one single winner every year. Instead, after the regular season, teams are invited to 34 different "Bowl Games" based on their records. Colleges don't want to get rid of this because there's a lot of money and sponsorship in showing these 34 games on TV, and it can go to the teams that would never have a chance of making the playoffs - for example, last year North Carolina (7-6) beat Tennessee (6-6) in the Music City Bowl.

The best bowl games featuring the strongest teams come at the end of the post-season. There are 5 games, and they are known as the Bowl Championship Series. There is a really controversial process to figuring out the best teams in the country, and the top 2 play in the National Championship Game, which last year was won by the evil Auburn.

Bloody hell !

It's absolutely ridiculous, but as sleepyjack says there's lots of cash in it. Back in the day the bowl games made sense as it was harder to travel around, and national TV games weren't the norm so it was a nice away day for all.

My favourite has always been the fact that before a game is played the top 25 teams are voted on by coaches and media types. The team that is top of the pile, again before a game has been played, is in prime position to play in the title game.

The BCS b0!!ocks involves people voting combined with each teams number of wins, and then it's fed into different computer programs that spit out the top 25 teams every week, starting in October I think.

ESPN could have stopped this farce a year ago (maybe 2) but they decided to sign a massive TV deal to preserve the status quo. If they'd have come in and said that they'd give silly money if you change it to a proper system it would have been so.

So there's no overall champs?

Yes. It goes to the winner of the BCS title game which is generally played between the 2 teams the computers say are 1 & 2. However it gets iffy as sometimes 1 team may not get to paly in it even though they've not lost a game all year. I think that after the game there is 1 more vote, ususally the team that won is voted number 1.

I've been here 15 years and still don't get it.

Football back on tonight and I can't wait. :tu:

It should be a decent opening game with Green Bay and the Saints. I'm hoping the Pack can sneak the win but it wouldn't surprise me if the Saints win it. Whatever side wins I think the result will be close. It wouldn't surprise me if we see these two teams again in the NFC Championship game.

Who do we predict to win SB? Dont pick your own team!

Got a feeling for the jets or eagles.

I´m worried that my Eagles will fade and not make the SB...again. This whole "dream team" nonsense is going to be a major disturbance to proceedings. They´ll start slow, play well as the regular season goes on and will make the play offs again but probably drop out early. As usual.

Packers are looking pretty good again so...defending champs to win again?

Archived