BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Walker Trust

[quote name='RevidgeBlue' timestamp='1303219553' post='1051881'

It is sad thiough that many people have been bitterly opposed to them from the outset and are not and have not been prepared to even give them a chance.

That's a tad far-fetched IMO. Venky's themselves have been the architects of any bitter opposition through their terrible PR and bad decisions.

That's the central issue.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Whatever the situation, Venky's have made their decisions in good faith with the intention of improving Blackburn Rovers. They have been poorly advised and certain groups and individuals have taken advantage of their vulnerability.

We shouldn't be directing our anger at the owners, they want the best for us because that means the best for themselves. We should be directing the anger at the situation we find outselves in and make sure that the necessary changes occur either now or at the end of the season to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

What would be the point of telling Venky's to get out? If we p155ed them off enough they could just sell us for a tiny fee and truly destroy us. But they have the ability, if we stay up, to secure our future in the league for the next few years, management permitting.

We need a good slice of luck to stay in this league, but I think if we do, Venky's will provide us with enough to at least get by. There is no point trying to force the owners out of the club, they aren't the ones managing the team, they are the ones trying to fund it. They will surely know they have made a mistake with Kean and I suspect that whatever happens this season, he will not be manager next season, whichever division we are in. They will want to safeguard their assets.

It is sad thiough that many people have been bitterly opposed to them from the outset and are not and have not been prepared to even give them a chance.

That's a tad far-fetched IMO. Venky's themselves have been the architects of any bitter opposition through their terrible PR and bad decisions.

That's the central issue.

Who?

The majority of posters on here.

Even now though despite the fact mistakes have obviously been made we need to hope that Venky's will attempt to rectify any mistakes and back us to the hilt.

If we go down they're going to have to bail us out and fund an attempt at promotion. If we stay up a bloody big clear our and rebuilding of the squad is needed regardless imo

Don't think that's the case Rev. There have been a few that have been against them from the start, 'many' is an exaggeration.

Most fans on here and those I know personally were more than willing to give them a chance. So far, they have tested everyone's patience to the limit with their antics.

Most fans on here and those I know personally were more than willing to give them a chance. So far, they have tested everyone's patience to the limit with their antics.

Spot on. I think everyone was excited about a new dawn and some funding for the club, however limited.

Realistically, i don't think our owners will be too bothered. If they fail, they asset strip the club and sell it on.

Leaving them probably in profit.

Mark Bunn (ENG)- Keep

Paul Robinson (ENG) - £8m

Gaël Givet (FRA) - £2m

Grant Hanley (SCO) - Keep

Phil Jones (ENG) - £15m

Josh Morris (ENG) - Keep

Míchel Salgado (ESP) - Keep

Ryan Nelsen (NZL) - Keep

Martin Olsson (SWE) - £5m

Christopher Samba (CGO) £10m

Keith Andrews (IRL)- £1m

Robbie Cotton (ENG) - Keep

David Dunn (ENG) - Keep

Brett Emerton (AUS) - FREE

Mauro Formica (ARG) - Keep

Morten Gamst Pedersen (NOR) - £500k

Hérold Goulon (FRA) - FREE

Vince Grella (AUS) - FREE

Jermaine Jones (USA) - RETURNED

Steven N'Zonzi (FRA) - £3M

Mame Biram Diouf (SEN) - RETURNED

David Hoilett (CAN) - £5m

Nikola Kalinic (CRO) - £2m

Benjamin Mwaruwari (ZIM) - Keep

Jason Roberts (GRN) - Keep

Rubén Rochina (ESP) - Keep

Roque Santa Cruz (PAR) - Returned

= £51.5m

Club is sold for £10m

= £61.5m

They continue with the Indian market and reel in a few empty lines whilst keeping a couple out which will probably get a bite.

It is win/win if they play it right.

The only people who lose are the fans.

Blimey Rev, couldn't let that go without comment. As far as I remember, you were glad to see the back of Allardyce, saw nothing wrong with Steve Kean as their choice, not upset about JW leaving, couldn't see what Venky's were doing wrong and saw no problem with Anderson. Hardly background to taking the moral high ground, when most people were saying the whole carry on was a recipe for disaster. They were absolutely spot on, weren't they?

Blimey Rev, couldn't let that go without comment. As far as I remember, you were glad to see the back of Allardyce, saw nothing wrong with Steve Kean as their choice, not upset about JW leaving, couldn't see what Venky's were doing wrong and saw no problem with Anderson. Hardly background to taking the moral high ground, when most people were saying the whole carry on was a recipe for disaster. They were absolutely spot on, weren't they?

I said at the time I was indifferent to Sam's sacking, still am but that was on the basis I thought at that stage someone better was coming in. Once Kean was appointed I was prepared to give him a chance but it now appears that the appointment was a mistake. If JW wants to leave there's not much we can do about that but again I assumed a suitable replacement would be forthcoming. No figurehead over here is obviously not ideal.

Anderson, well I notice from one of Philip's recent postings he is no longer involved and that was all much ado about nothing anyway wasn't it?

I do believe there are some potential positives if we do go down. .

I'm trying to think of some but I cannot think of any.

I do however see a scenario in which our best young players are sold, we are left with the older players on very high wages, season ticket sales and attendances slump, Venky's do not replace Kean or spend any money in the transfer market and we get relegated again next season.

I said at the time I was indifferent to Sam's sacking, still am but that was on the basis I thought at that stage someone better was coming in. Once Kean was appointed I was prepared to give him a chance but it now appears that the appointment was a mistake. If JW wants to leave there's not much we can do about that but again I assumed a suitable replacement would be forthcoming. No figurehead over here is obviously not ideal.

Anderson, well I notice from one of Philip's recent postings he is no longer involved and that was all much ado about nothing anyway wasn't it?

Much ado about nothing?

Are you for real? Kean, Jensen, Myles to name but three!

Not true. Most people were glad to see the change of ownership after the lack of investment in the latter Walker years. If Venky's had shown themselves to be responsible, competant owners who had made the right footballing decisions they would have 100 per cent backing now.

Much ado about nothing?

Are you for real? Kean, Jensen, Myles to name but three!

Nicko indicated Anderson was in favour of keeping Sam but Mrs D. dispensed with him anyway.

Jensen, his record here is not impressive but he had reasonable credentials.

Myles Anderson - so what? And hadn't we looked at him when previously anyway?

I don't blame the Trust for not putting more money into Rovers aquad the last few years, yes, it frustrated the hell out of me, but the caveat was that they were hands off and let JW run the club as he saw fit.

Selling us out to Venky's is a different matter.

If only it worked out like that.

Unfortunately, with our wage bill and the talent that will depart, we would have to be extremely lucky to bounce back, we do not have Jack's largesse to fall back on.

I would take a struggle to finish 17th every year (though we have NEVER been in a relegation fight to the last few weeks of a season since re-promotion and have finished in the top half more times than the bottom half), than go through what Charlton, Middlesbrough, Sheff Wed, Southampton etc etc etc have gone through.

Doesn't always result in asset stripping actually. WBA are a good example of that. The others you quote have been in the doldrums but Southampton now seem to be on the up.

Before you get too misty eyed about the prospect of playing in the Division below, remember that the likes of Scunthorpe and Doncaster reside down there.

On the subject of easy wins, please note that Boro have the largest wage bill in the division and currently sit in 18th place.

There is only one place to play and it is the reason everyone is so desperate to get promoted.

Nothing wrong with Doncaster..proper football club owned by a fan. A bit disrespectful that.

I'm starting to wonder..is the premiership 'the only place to play'? At its best it's a wonderful advert for football. At its worst,it's a bunch of shysters looking after their own interests,ensuring the rich get richer while the rest feed off the scraps.

I'm trying to think of some but I cannot think of any.

I do however see a scenario in which our best young players are sold, we are left with the older players on very high wages, season ticket sales and attendances slump, Venky's do not replace Kean or spend any money in the transfer market and we get relegated again next season.

Precisely the point I was making.. don't be defeatist and allow your scenario to happen-get rid of the crap,keep the good youngsters and go for an immediate return. Newcastle managed it with pretty much the same squad they went down with after all.

It CAN be done yeti, but Newcastle kept hold of Guiterrez, Collochini, Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Taylor- far too good for the Championship.

Boro are similar to ourselves, similar crowds, if not more than what we would muster if we went down with a criplling wage bill- ask Boro fans how they enjoy being in the bottom 6 of the Championship with half the side on 15/20 thousand plus a week.

Ask the same of Sheff Wed fans and as for Southampton- they nearly went bust, fell two leagues and had a 15 point penalty.

West brom have s stable wage bill and have years of PL money than parachute money- never outspending their means.

We are not West Brom or Newcastle, relegation would be a disaster.

As Venky's had no previous sporting links or background, in the absence of specific evidence to the contrary, an English Football Club, and Indian poultry producers was always going to prove an odd marriage. They are still learning and hopefully can prove everyone wrong in time.

It's not true to say they had no sporting links.

They had been involved in some cricket matches/sponsorship etc.

This is where they came across Kentaro and why they were happy to use them.

It CAN be done yeti, but Newcastle kept hold of Guiterrez, Collochini, Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Taylor- far too good for the Championship.

Boro are similar to ourselves, similar crowds, if not more than what we would muster if we went down with a criplling wage bill- ask Boro fans how they enjoy being in the bottom 6 of the Championship with half the side on 15/20 thousand plus a week.

Ask the same of Sheff Wed fans and as for Southampton- they nearly went bust, fell two leagues and had a 15 point penalty.

West brom have s stable wage bill and have years of PL money than parachute money- never outspending their means.

Have no fear, the Venky's have the resources to bank-roll an attempt to get back up again. Lots of class players would leap at the chance to play under Steve Kean in the Championship.

Nicko indicated Anderson was in favour of keeping Sam but Mrs D. dispensed with him anyway.

Jensen, his record here is not impressive but he had reasonable credentials.

Myles Anderson - so what? And hadn't we looked at him when previously anyway?

I believe Nicko did indeed make the comment about waiting to get rid of Allardyce-but as somebody else pointed out later, it never appeared in the press.

Jensen's record here is awful.

A friend who goes to virtually every Rovers match made the comment Myles had appeared for a couple of minutes against Southport in the close season-and that was enough for the then manager to make up his mind, and for supporters to realise he wasn't up to it.

Some good points Matty.

I think the point I'm trying to make(quite badly obviously!)is that we should be aspiring to the WBA model..i.e a stable wage bill. To do this we HAVE to get rid the over-paid under-achieving dross.Releagation might just be the impetus to achieve this...then again I do tend to be a glass half-full kind of guy.I may well just be spouting naive bo**ox..

Releagation might just be the impetus to achieve this...then again I do tend to be a glass half-full kind of guy.I may well just be spouting naive bo**ox..

Nice dream but a far more likely outcome next season if we go down is the youngsters will want to leave (and will be the subject of £x million bids from other clubs) because they're too good to play in the Championship.

Meanwhile Venky's will pocket most of the transfer fees like the Walker Trust and spend very little on new players and we'll be left with the old sweats whom no one else wants because they are on high wages.

Archived