BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Norway

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your thoughts. Luckily I'm far from the capitol, but this affects us all.

What has happened is absolutely terrible. These terrorist acts, the bombing in Oslo and the shooting that took place at a youth camp, are unfathomable. It was probably inevitable that Norway would fall victim to a terrorist attack, but this came out of nowhere.

I fear that the official death toll might rise in the coming hours.

Witness reports suggest that from the shootings alone(a separate episode) up to 30 teenagers have been killed(officially atleast 10). The bombings might have caused around 10 casualties and numerous are injured.

My thoughts go to the families and friends of the victims.

Thanks! Unbelievable day here in Oslo today. You never really imagine this kind of evil reaching us up here in Norway, its only things you see on television, from the states and the middle-east etc. But today the evils of terror reached our own city, and man, what a shock it is! :mellow:

Lovely country, lovely people. Who deserves this? The World has gone barmy and religious zealots are largely to blame. What is the answer?

Quote from our Prime minister:

- More openness

- More democracy

- More international solidarity

The only answer, well said. We could learn from that in the UK.

Cameron has been insutrumental in comments and codolances to the Norwegian government and people.

He said this is something we have to learn from and also talked about international solidarity.

The worst thing is that a political summer youth camp was attacked where 10 people might be dead. It may rise.

It is also reported that it is a Norwegian man who is arrested after the bombing and shooting.

Thank you all.

Even though I dont live near Oslo, it hurts just as much.

You never think that something like this could happen in our own country.

To Bangkok Rover,

People who are saying that this was bound to happen, have most likely believed that this was a terrorist attack from some kind of islamic group.

This because we have been receiving threats because of our soldiers in Afghanistan, and also because of some drawings of Mohammed that have been printed in Norwegian newspapers etc...

People who are saying that this was bound to happen, have most likely believed that this was a terrorist attack from some kind of islamic group.

This because we have been receiving threats because of our soldiers in Afghanistan, and also because of some drawings of Mohammed that have been printed in Norwegian newspapers etc...

Hands up all those who expected it to be weirdy beardys murdering in the name of Allah ?

Turns out this despicable, evil human being is a blonde, blue eyed, right wing Christian.

Religion eh ? :(

Quote from our Prime minister:

- More openness

- More democracy

- More international solidarity

No sure how that is going to stop one home-bred psychopath with a gun. Cameron made a similar anodyne comment about "learning" from this incident but unless you ban the manufacture of all guns / weapons / explosives worldwide I don't see how you are going to be able to stop one demented individual determined to kill.

Condolences to Norway - a lovely country and always a friend of Great Britain.

No sure how that is going to stop one home-bred psychopath with a gun. Cameron made a similar anodyne comment about "learning" from this incident but unless you ban the manufacture of all guns / weapons / explosives worldwide I don't see how you are going to be able to stop one demented individual determined to kill.

Surely the idea must be to stop the creating of those home-bred psychopaths and demented individuals by making sure we live in the best, most tolerant society possible?

This is very true, and it's a question that will occupy social workers and psychologists in the coming weeks, months and years. We need to prevent people from getting to that place, wherever the hell it is, where they become as angry, as cold and hateful as this person.

We are not a country of guns, certainly not the type of guns used here. The breath-takingly awful scenes at Utøya reminds us of the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres, but the chilling difference here is that this person did not know the people he was shooting at - they were innocent youths on a summer camp, there to learn about and discuss politics. We are all devastated, and I can't quite get my head around this just yet.

Stoltenberg has got the right idea, this cowardly attack deserves as little impact as possible. We live in one of the most tolerant, modern societies there is, and those who feel the need to push other people down must learn the error of their ways. I don't know what kind of tragedies this psychopath has lived through, and at the moment, I don't have it in me to care for him. His time will come, now we have to stay together and not let this get out of hand.

This is very true, and it's a question that will occupy social workers and psychologists in the coming weeks, months and years. We need to prevent people from getting to that place, wherever the hell it is, where they become as angry, as cold and hateful as this person.

You can have as many psychologists as you like and try to learn and teach as many lessons as possible - but they won't prevent one rogue operator such as this. The fact it happened in a country like Norway (and beautiful, peaceful places such as Dunblane in Scotland) shows it can happen anywhere, and is likely to happen again - even in Norway. Something to do with random theory.

Archived