BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Amy Winehouse dead at 27

Have just put a Facebook status in response to the fact that there are dozens of people posting "RIP Amy Winehouse" statuses - a woman who addled her brain on drugs and sang occassionally - but not one about the mass murder of 90+ Norwegian teenagers.

One is a tragedy, the other is not.

A perfect role model for the youngsters of today.

Amy's message is " Do drugs and you are not likely to live long"

Let's hope her life and death will save many from a similar end.

Sad, sad waste of talent and a young life.

Can't honestly say I'm shocked. Despite her talent, wealth and opportunties she always seemed such an unhappy person.

I guess we'll never understand as we didn't live with her demons.

Have just put a Facebook status in response to the fact that there are dozens of people posting "RIP Amy Winehouse" statuses - a woman who addled her brain on drugs and sang occassionally - but not one about the mass murder of 90+ Norwegian teenagers.

One is a tragedy, the other is not.

A suitable comparison and a withering comment on the state of our society Tango. Amy Winehouse had a God given voice for sure but in reallity she committed a version of slow motion suicide. The atrocities in Norway are on a different level altogether.

Just as an aside and with no particular agenda other than comment but has anybody considered that their ancestors committed similar atrocities on these shores on a very regular basis 1200 years or so ago as they looted and pillaged their way across this land?

Christ on a bike. Our ancestors? Recent history and terror attacks springs to mind, but I will not lower myself to your standards. Just as an aside and with no agenda, of course.

Don't misinterpret my post. The 1st paragraph illustrates my feelings. The second is just a reminder that atrocities occurr in life all the time, always have done and always will do. It's a truly awful event but it will change nothing, will prevent nothing and will simply end up consigned to the history books.

Just as an aside and with no particular agenda other than comment but has anybody considered that their ancestors committed similar atrocities on these shores on a very regular basis 1200 years or so ago as they looted and pillaged their way across this land?

Yes. And you and I are descended from them. rolleyes.gif

Don't misinterpret my post. The 1st paragraph illustrates my feelings. The second is just a reminder that atrocities occurr in life all the time, always have done and always will do. It's a truly awful event but it will change nothing, will prevent nothing and will simply end up consigned to the history books.

Things have already changed immensely - believe me, and they will continue to change. There's the option of always seeing the bigger picture, but then life itself becomes pointless. I don't doubt your feelings, I just think it's a totally unneccesary parallel.

anyway, this thread is about the unfortunate death of amy winehouse, I'll leave it at that.

Someone's daughter has died, at a very young age.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone, no matter what the circumstances. Burying your own kids must be hell.

Whilst I agree with this, I can not agree with the amount of publicity it is getting.

For a start if you or I passed due to drug abuse would we even get a mention in the papers and or the news? Highly doubt it. Would we get even a tenth of the people posting about it on social network sites? No

Added to that, it is not in any way shape or form in the public interest for it to be reported, yes she was a celeb however her actions away from the studio and stage are quite frankly shameful and not something someone who is supposed to be a role model to millions of people should do and again should never of been in the press as much.

Its not just Amy either, many many celebs and supposed role models are just as bad and should not be in a position to infuence children.

Dont get me wrong, I do feel sorry for the family, but I give much more sympathy to the families of the victims of the Norway bombings, moats victims and anyone else who has lost someone through actions they had no control over

Whilst I agree with this, I can not agree with the amount of publicity it is getting.

For a start if you or I passed due to drug abuse would we even get a mention in the papers and or the news? Highly doubt it. Would we get even a tenth of the people posting about it on social network sites? No

Added to that, it is not in any way shape or form in the public interest for it to be reported, yes she was a celeb however her actions away from the studio and stage are quite frankly shameful and not something someone who is supposed to be a role model to millions of people should do and again should never of been in the press as much.

Its not just Amy either, many many celebs and supposed role models are just as bad and should not be in a position to infuence children.

Dont get me wrong, I do feel sorry for the family, but I give much more sympathy to the families of the victims of the Norway bombings, moats victims and anyone else who has lost someone through actions they had no control over

So many people in this country are following the USA in being in awe of any person in the media spotlight. It's a horrible facet of our society for sure. BUT if this mawkish media attention dissuades some kids from following her example it might be well worth doing. Comparisons with the horrors of Norway are very remote, only the timing is of any relevence.

Here in Aus it hasn't had a great deal of publicity - just a passing mention in the news really - so I can't comment on that angle, but I am a big admirer of Amy's music.

Once again it would appear that drugs have brought about another enormous waste of a life & a talent brought to a shamefully short end.

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

As has already been commented, it is cruel and unnatural to have to bury your child.

Rest in peace Amy

So many people in this country are following the USA in being in awe of any person in the media spotlight. It's a horrible facet of our society for sure. BUT if this mawkish media attention dissuades some kids from following her example it might be well worth doing. Comparisons with the horrors of Norway are very remote, only the timing is of any relevence.

Having lived in both places, celebrity awe is MUCH more prevalent here.

Archived