BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Reasonable for Kermode to suggest that Superman Returns might be an allegory about the state of anxiety in the US post 9/11.

Similarly, only the uneducated might think that Deliverance is about a confrontation between backwoodsmen and city types.

Its about banjo playing and canoeing isnt it?

Its about banjo playing and canoeing isnt it?

Like Superman Returns, Deliverance is an allegory.

You're a grammar school lad who can think "outside the box" (to use horrible modern parlance), so what's the hidden meaning behind Deliverance ?

the inability of man to conquer both nature and his fellow man?

the 4 main characters are forced to face all the things that challenge their status as men, as dictated by modern society (Nature, Survival, Killing, Male Rape?). The 3 survivors are cowed and cannot admit the truth about their ordeal, and so ultimately fail the test set them, as they feel forced to live up to the standards for manhood set out by society.

I think the film is trying to show; that for all it bravado, mankind is unwilling to accept it true and very small place in the grand scheme of things!

Edited by Rovers Air Force

Like Superman Returns, Deliverance is an allegory.

You're a grammar school lad who can think "outside the box" (to use horrible modern parlance), so what's the hidden meaning behind Deliverance ?

I think the techies really need to get on with this sarcasm/irony emoticon

And I wouldnt know about deliverence because I havent seen it all the way through - sad I know but hey I always miss the start and come in just after they've escaped.

Still POTC2 was good but I was disapointed with the ending

and kermode was right about waiting till the end of the credits - its not worth the wait

I Still POTC2 was good but I was disapointed with the ending

and kermode was right about waiting till the end of the credits - its not worth the wait

ending>its half time>

kermode ??thats what my nan used to go on before she died.

I sure enjoyed it, a few bits were pretty exruciating, but its a family film (I assume kiddies would have loved that endless wheel fight sequence) after all, and the makers did very well to tread the line between the adult and junior markets.

Plus

***Spoilers, oooh, exciting!***

the promise of the great Geoffrey Rush being back in the third film is a welcome one.

Is Deliverance some sort of allegory about Vietnam?

Can't stand the appearance of the new Superman, looks way too camp to me. So he can go take his super-ass elsewhere.

Rover6, when are you going to lighten up? You must be beating the birds off with a pooey stick. "Hey Rover6 bay-bee, tell me more of your scientific dissection of Blackburn Rovers in the nineteen nineties. It just makes me sooooooooooooooooo hot hot hot hot hot hot!"

Rover6, when are you going to lighten up? You must be beating the birds off with a pooey stick. "Hey Rover6 bay-bee, tell me more of your scientific dissection of Blackburn Rovers in the nineteen nineties. It just makes me sooooooooooooooooo hot hot hot hot hot hot!"

:D:D

Is Deliverance some sort of allegory about Vietnam?

Funnily enough, that's the only one I could come up with. The yanks entering into unwelcome territory with self assured superiority, only to get tw@tted by the locals. But at the risk of appearing uneducated ......

Superman, looks way too camp to me. So he can go take his super-ass elsewhere.

Okaaayyy :blink::blink:

I actually prefer Superman to Pirates. I also read somewhere that Routh was paid a pittance for the role ($200K)? and through bad management had to hand most of that back. The other stars were paid ten times as much, but I'm pretty sure he'll get a decent fee for the next one.

Edited by adopted scouser

nah canoes and banjos - you just look to deep into these things

Someone was trying to explain to me how Apocalypse Now was some dark and deep journey into madness blah blah blah blah - and got quite upset when I pointed out the only madness was MArlon Brando's acting.

Its saving grace is possibly one of the best set piece war battles in film history.

which makes the whole film worthwhile

Honestly Abbs, don't be so uneducated. It's the story of a group of soulless machines, finding their way through friendship and loyalty, and learning to survive in a far off desert environment. It's obviously an allegory of the war in Iraq.

Then again it could just be the latest top animation from Pixar, jokes aimed at all ages and some cracking songs to boot, a treat for all the family.

Honestly Abbs, don't be so uneducated. It's the story of a group of soulless machines, finding their way through friendship and loyalty, and learning to survive in a far off desert environment. It's obviously an allegory of the war in Iraq.

Then again it could just be the latest top animation from Pixar, jokes aimed at all ages and some cracking songs to boot, a treat for all the family.

Have to disagree with you there AS, obviously it is talking about how we are becoming more dependant on technology and machines and that one day they will become more intelligent than us and will take over. Anything else would be plain silly.

I haven't seen deliverance so I can't really talk about it, but saying superman is an allegory is an insult to any good allegory or satire that has ever been done.

hahahahaha

Superman is a Christian allegory, no it's not, it's about a Jew fleeing his homeland, oh no it isn't it's about a wolly woofter in tights being out-and-proud, but remaining defiantly non-scene when he puts his glasses on.

Or is it just about a geezer who knocks ten bells out of the bad boys?

Have to disagree with you there AS, obviously it is talking about how we are becoming more dependant on technology and machines and that one day they will become more intelligent than us and will take over. Anything else would be plain silly.

I haven't seen deliverance so I can't really talk about it, but saying superman is an allegory is an insult to any good allegory or satire that has ever been done.

Have to agree with abbs!

the more I read your post the more I thin of you as a twa................

The first part of that is a joke, if you don't like the second part then don't read a topic that is a movie discussion. As for the personal insults that you have now posted in more than one thread, please stop.