BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

The TV thread appears to have vanished. Has anybody seen The Pacific yet? I watched the first episode last week and thought it was excellent. Episode 2 isn't up to much to be honest.

I was a huge Band of Brothers fan and Have been looking forward to the release of the Pacific (I couldnt wait for easter so I found other means of getting the series :rolleyes: ) but so far I have to say it is not a patch on BOB, the first episode felt really rushed, It doesnt really give you much time to get to know the characters unlike BOB where you had a full episode of them training, then they seem to have 1 battle and are bruised and battle veterans.

The next episode was worse it showed the Japs relentless attacking (at night) which makes it very hard to see and then they end up coming off the line to board the boats upon which learning they were heroes back in the US to which surprised them.

I have no doubt that there exploits in the Pacific would have made them heroes but in 2 episodes it all feels rushed, there are ten episodes in total and I sure hope it picks up a bit as I have been waiting for the series for quite some time, I have just bought Band of Brothers on Blueray and was hoping to add this but at this rate it may only make my betamax collection :blink:

I watched Marley And Me last Saturday night. If I wanted to see an annoying dog grow old and die I would have read Linda McCartney's autobiography.

:lol:

I agree with Mark Kermode. Don't watch the film, just buy a pet dog. Any film with Jennifer Aniston in it should be avoided. I think she's trying to undercut Sandra Bullock for the 'crap comedy spunked out in minutes for easy money' roles. Problem is, my fiancee loves films like Along Came Polly and Miss Congeniality.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Clash of the Titans and really really wanted to like it but I just couldn't and cant really explain why.

When you look at your watch more than once in a film you know something is wrong anyway.

I wouldnt say the effects were all that either.

I thought the effects were excellent, save for the rather embarrassing Medusa (The Mummy Returns anyone?). In fact the effects work was the only positive for me. The plot was both nonsensical and barely legible and the whole thing had a dull, plodding, episodic feel. I thought the actors looked just as bamboozled as they muttered and scowled their way through po-faced dialogue that made very little sense.

Pretty dreadful to be honest, especially when placed next to my previous trip to the cinema: Kick Ass.

Edited by Rovermatt

Even the awful glimmering Zeus and stupid 3D effects, Matt?

Recent movies:

- The Hurt Locker is just brilliant. Entirely worth the hype.

- Sherlock Holmes is rubbish. It helps if, whenever Sherlock gives another speech, you repeat "Science, science, science" in your head, louder and crazier each time. SCIENCE!

- Clash of the Titans needed more flying horses and childish adventure, less racist caricatures, plot holes and shoddy dialogue.

- Hot Tub Time Machine was a great guilty pleasure film. Puerile sex, alcohol and vomit jokes that somehow work much better than The Hangover ever did. Crispin Glover in a film about time travel! If you can find an entire rendition of a Black Eyed Peas song by Darryl from The Office funny, it's worth it.

- Green Zone tells a decent story and has great acting, but somehow manages to not be exciting when it should be riveting. Still really enjoyed it.

- Didn't find Kick Ass as impressive as everyone else, but I can see the appeal.

- Greenberg is fantastic. Ben Stiller does a great job with what could have been just another 'middle aged lost boy' character.

- A Prophet is also bloody great. Grim, violent and haunting prison film without any overdone Hollywood crap.

- Don't watch Repo Men. It's rubbish. Jude Law is rubbish. Don't watch it unless you want a headache from how annoyed it makes you.

Even the awful glimmering Zeus and stupid 3D effects, Matt?

I thought the effects from Mount Olympus were quite cool. I didn't watch it in 3D.

THE BLIND SIDE....awesome 10 out of 10

Blimey you've pretty low standards don't you? :) I liked The Blind Side (the book is excellent) but 10/10 is a great stretch surely? If you're giving that top marks, what about the likes of The Godfather: Part II, Heat or Lord of the Rings?

Edited by Rovermatt