BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Up In The Air a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent. It was able to capture the intangible monotony of a corporate employee, traveling across America's flyover states, and living between the plane, the airport, the airport hotel and faceless business that run America and the tiny details that make up this world, that when put in front of you, you recognise. I would highly recommend this movie.

I got The Road (book) for Christmas and haven't have the chance to read it yet. Then the film adaptation sort of snuck up on me leaving me with a dilemma of sorts; see the film and - presumably - ruin the ending of the book, or read the book and lose the big screen experience? I'm swaying towards the latter.

I got The Road (book) for Christmas and haven't have the chance to read it yet. Then the film adaptation sort of snuck up on me leaving me with a dilemma of sorts; see the film and - presumably - ruin the ending of the book, or read the book and lose the big screen experience? I'm swaying towards the latter.

I read the book in about four days. It's a quick read, so you'll get it in before it's out of the cinema.

You nee to read the book first. Seeing the film will spoil the fantastic imagery in the book if you watch the film beforehand.

Saw Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone last week. It was more a case of picking a film for entertainment than anything else. Mel Gibson's daughter works for a company involved with weapons and nuclear engineering, she returns home very ill and dies. Gibson spends the film tracking down the reason why. Usual sort of storyline but well done, Winstone is thoroughly menancing and very entertaining. Our older readers will recall the BBC series from the 80s that the film is based around

Watched "A Prophet" at the weekend, a very good film with a novel approach to a crime thriller, well worth watching. The action centres around our "hero's" time in a French prison, documenting how, perhaps arguing why, prison is not necessarily the right solution for young offenders. This is a film with very violent undertones though fortunately only one scene containing any real violence - which had both myself and my wife flinching as it was very graphic. Don't be put off by this as it is entirely relevant, just be prepared.

Edited by Paul

For Wolverine:-

Bill Murray has confirmed that he will appear as a ghost in the forthcoming Ghostbusters sequel.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, the comic actor revealed that killing off his character Peter Venkman was his own suggestion.

"I'll come back in Ghostbusters 3 only if I get to be a ghost," Murray commented. "I said to them, 'I'll do it if you kill me off in the first reel'. So now they are going to have me as a ghost in the film."

Discussing his thoughts on the big budget comedy franchise, Murray said that he disliked the second Ghostbusters because it was too driven by spectacle.

"The first 45 minutes of the original Ghostbusters is some of the funniest stuff ever made," he remarked. "The second one was disappointing, because the special effects guys took over. I had something like two scenes - and they're the only funny ones in the movie.

• Backroom

Finally saw Taken last night, very good movie. Not quite as good as Law Abiding Citizen but still excellent. Liam Neeson has been one of my favourite actors since Rob Roy.

I dodn't know Rob Roy was an actor :P

Princess and the Frog is now out and I'm looking forward to it, love old school disney animation, also got Up Blu ray on pre order.

Nice little video about how special effects in films have changed from 1900 to now http://dailyshite.com/2009/08/100-years-of-special-effects/

I've been waiting for this for ages. I've watched all the cartoons on telly and have a couple of the books.

Was originally meant to be called Avatar like the telly programme, but was never going to win that one.

Edited by cn174

An oldie but a goodie, a friend of mine revealed she'd never seen Silence of The Lambs, this led to watching it last night and reminded me of just how good it is, especially given the fact that it doesn't have to rely on any special effects or major gore for the shock effect. Just a tremendous performance from Hopkins and a great bit of chemistry between him and Foster.

If there's anyone else who for some reason hasn't seen it, despite it being nearly 20 years old now then I suggest you pick up a copy.

• Backroom

Watched The Box last night, film started OK but got far too silly after a while. Midweek we watched The Stepfather which is a remake of an older film, decent but somewhat cliched thriller.

Last week saw Princess and the Frog last week which was awesome but obviously not for everyone

Gran Torino arrived from love Film today, will watch it later, looking forward to a bit of the ol' Big Clint.

I watched Gran Torino from love film at the weekend, brilliant acting (clint's dialogue is mainly him growling), great direction, let down ever so slightly by being a bit predictable ... oh and by Clint's singing on the closing credits. But on the whole, it was excellent.

Went to watch Avatar last night. I thought it was overrated but still an ok film.

Some points though:-

Why was Derek Acorah the bad guy?

How can Derek Acorah kick down a thick metal air locked door?

How can a bow and arrow smash through an indestructible air craft window (went it couldnt earlier on)

If the tip of said arrow can kill a fella in 10 seconds why did it take 3 to take out Derek Acorah?

The 3D gubbins were good although at times I felt my eyes following a fly rather than the film (thats a fly in the film and not one in the cinema)

Went to watch Avatar last night. I thought it was overrated but still an ok film.

Some points though:-

Why was Derek Acorah the bad guy?

How can Derek Acorah kick down a thick metal air locked door?

How can a bow and arrow smash through an indestructible air craft window (went it couldnt earlier on)

If the tip of said arrow can kill a fella in 10 seconds why did it take 3 to take out Derek Acorah?

The 3D gubbins were good although at times I felt my eyes following a fly rather than the film (thats a fly in the film and not one in the cinema)

Because the plot was written by a ten year old that had just seen FernGully.

Watched Harvey for the first time last night (the original 1950s one), what a wonderfully charming and intelligent film. I can't believe it's made by Universal, I wish they still made films like that instead of brainless tripe they serve up now. Apparently a remake is being done, I bet it's gash. I hate remakes of classics, why do they bother?