[Archived] 2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

Guest Wen Y Hu

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to give you some info on Crouch VS Yakubu

Crouch 72 games for Spurs = 12 goals

Yakubu 82 games for Everton = 25 goals

Yakubu is almost 2 years younger as Crouch is born in January 1981 and Yakubu in November 1982.

We paid 1/10 what Stoke paid.

Guest Rovers4Good

Let's face it we are in a stronger position than we were in last week but one thing that still bothers me is the likes of Samba etc playing for Kean as i'm not convinced that this man has the backing of his players but only time will tell and let's hope that by the time the next transfer window opens that we are not still stranded at the bottom of the league.

It would be stupid to sack Kean now and it would further enhance the fact that Venky's don't know what they are doing as Kean has brought in his players so if they were to get rid they should have done it before the transfer window shuts. :)

Yakubu is almost 2 years younger as Crouch is born in January 1981 and Yakubu in November 1982.

Crouch scores at the highest level and is a proven international and also most of Yakubu's goals come from the penalty spot. Yakubu is very lazy indeed but will get us the odd goal but don't count on him getting us out of the mire whereas if we were talking about Crouch then we would have add a far better chance.

Because every other club in the premiership has every position covered with an outstanding player! Get a grip!

From 7th down you have to mix some average with the quality - just how it goes!

In my opinion £18m spent is great for a club like rovers and the players all have great potential, just hope they show it as soon as possible!

Yakubu is better than Kalinic so that will do for me!

Spot on :tu:

I was going to start arguing the point that there is a reason Crouch cost 10m and Yak 1.5m, but whats the point success will be the only judge of right and wrong.

All I know is Yak is a gamble based on his bad injury, massive valuation drop and poor record since the injury, Goodwille is a gamble, Roberts will get around 3-4 goals hopefully and Formica might get over 5 but he seems to get dropped alot.

The success odds on Goodwillie and Yak are low but Kean is rolling the dice so on his job should be on the line (although I don't think he'll be sacked if we go down).

The strength we have in the centre of our defense will cover up for the weaknesses at the wings, especially right-back is still a problem. Emo would have fit there, but for some reason, Kean keeps on playing Salgado, who gets more useless everytime I see him. In the middle of the park we should be ok with N'Zonzi and Petrovic as our holding players, Hoilett and Olsson (with Vukcinic - yet to be proven, Pedersen and Rochina as back-ups )at the wings are very good and as an attacking midfielder we can play either Formica, Rochina or Dunn. Upfront we should play two strikers: Yakubu the power-ranger and Goodwillie the moving target(man) with Jordan Slew behind that, although I don't have a clue what type of player he is. In case all of them are bleading out of their ears, we have Jason Roberts as a back-up. Not sure why Kean fancies him that much, but I think that's the general opinion on these boards.

I think this formation is not bad at all (with exception of Salgado, any alternatives?)

Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Givet

- N'Zonzi -

Hoilett - Formica - Olsson

Yakubu - Goodwillie

Alternative would be with N'Zonzi and Petrovic as holding midfielders and Yakubu the lonely striker, although I think he's better with someone like Goodwillie around him, keeping defenders busy.

I was going to start arguing the point that there is a reason Crouch cost 10m and Yak 1.5m, but whats the point success will be the only judge of right and wrong.

All I know is Yak is a gamble based on his bad injury, massive valuation drop and poor record since the injury, Goodwille is a gamble, Roberts will get around 3-4 goals hopefully and Formica might get over 5 but he seems to get dropped alot.

The success odds on Goodwillie and Yak are low but Kean is rolling the dice so on his job should be on the line (although I don't think he'll be sacked if we go down).

We needed and still need a proven goalscorer. Yakubu isn't a bad signing for the money and at least we know he is good enough in this division unlike Roberts.

The main positive from this window is that otherwise, our squad is as strong as its been for long time. Now we have a decent P.Jones replacement and plenty of bodies in midfield, Id like to think that any transfer activity in January will focus entirely on a striker.

Nothing in football is ever that simple.. many on here don't rate the Yak anymore.. why... well since his Achilles tendon injury back in 2008-2009 which forced him out for the season his goal scoring record has been poor (worse than Roberts in the EPL), he has slowed down considerably, his general fitness poor and he does not look interested. Everton ended up rating him so highly he could not get near the team even when they had an injury crisis.

His stats at Everton:

2008-09 14 games 4 goals.. Achilles injured and out for the season

2009-10 25 games 5 goals

2010-11 14 games 1 goal.. Loaned to Leicester

Injury facts

It is known thanks to scientific research (search online if in doubt) that injuries to the Achilles tendon do effect the performance of the player once they return, so given his record since his return we are taking a gamble on him.

Overall

If we get him back on form and fit then he will be a great signing.. if we don't then he we are in deep poo with another striker who can't score. It's no good papering over the cracks in terms of his ability by pointing out his overall everton career, we have to be realistic about him, he was a bloody good footballer who got injured and now while still decent (you don't loose natural ability) he is not the same guy who did so well in the past.

I think this formation is not bad at all (with exception of Salgado, any alternatives?)

Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Givet

- N'Zonzi -

Hoilett - Formica - Olsson

Yakubu - Goodwillie

Alternative would be with N'Zonzi and Petrovic as holding midfielders and Yakubu the lonely striker, although I think he's better with someone like Goodwillie around him, keeping defenders busy.

I tried to put up an alternative, but I had to conclude that we have a lot of exciting players and it would be hard to fit them all into the first XI.

As much slack as Kean is getting one thing is for sure. He has really adressed the creative problem we had!!

Veevs: Why don't take his 11 in 20 record for Leicester into consideration? That is the closest stat to compare with.

Ok let's start with the Hughesy chart. Emerton? Hughesy Emerton is on there- are you picking ghosts or something?

It only has 5 in your favourite hole position for not quite good enough forwards and that is 3,995 holes short of what the town is famous for. At the time of writing, the adequacy of that squad could be 3,995 hole fillers short of what is needed.

This is how I look at it.

There are only 15 players with reasonable PL experience. I am counting Bunn, Olsson and Hoilett in that category.

More worrying I am also counting JRob whom you won't find a single one of the other 19 PL clubs giving a nanosecond before rejecting a swap deal with their premier forward and Salgado, Nelsen, Grella, Dunn and MGP from whom we can rely on for how many full on full quality 90 minutes PL appearancies this season? Plus Yak who has been there, done it but some time ago and needs acclimatising to the PL again if his 28 going on 30 something legs can still hack it.

In terms of reliable PL experience, this looks SCARY.

With the best will in the world, we are going to have to do more defending than attacking this season so where are the midfield tackles coing from? Nzonzi who gets cranky when he has to do it all himself, Grella on whose delicate body I suspect our Premier League survival might depend and Petrovic who frankly looked petrified in his cameo appearance v Everton.

So we are down to passionately hoping that the new boys from outside the PL acclimatise rapidly:

Goodwillie- off the fried marsbars and onto the fitness regime and there could be a player there by November.

Rochina/Formica- will need to play well without scoring any goals to get a decent run in the side unless the useless spud gets planted.

Vukcivic- likely to have fallen out with Kean before he gets anything like a decent run in the side; don't blame Kean as he does that with all managers

Anderson- George Weah's cousin or something.

Overall, it is a squad with a fighting chance of staying up if we had a manager.

But we have Kean so we are going down.

As for the owners' "performance", I don't have the strength...

Such a whinger.

I'm happy with the side. I'm sure a lot of people are. We ain't going down. Another striker and it would've been an EXCELLENT window. Seen as there isn't another striker then it's good.

Crouch receives extra stature amongst the press because he played for a media friendly club! Let's see what they write in 12 months time!

The proof is yakubu can and will score goals in this division whilst having developed a run of form at leicster - 11 goals in 20 games!

In addition, he scored goals in a very rigid everton team that had some very decent league finishes!

Is crouch 8 times a player? Will he score 8 times as many? I doubt it!

I think this formation is not bad at all

It really is, we'd get absolutely hammered each game! Far, far too attacking. Not even the best teams in the league are that gung ho. Swap a striker for a holding midfielder and it's somewhere close though.

Are you happy with right back and defensive midfield too?

Right back isn't ideal but manageable. We have 3 options for defensive mid. Thats enough in my opinion. Obviously in an ideal world we'd have a world class right back and a 25 year old Makelele on the bench but in reality, given the options we have, I dont think those positions are major concerns. The lack of a proven striker is far more of a worry.

Robinson

Salgado Dann Samba Givet

Petrovic Nzonzi

Hoilett Formica Olsson

Yakubu

I think the above would work. Olsson needs to play further up the field and I'd be against fielding Rochina/Formica and Vukcenic in same the team for the next couple of weeks until they're all up to speed.

Are you happy with right back and defensive midfield too?

Could be happy with Petrovic. As yet i'm unsure on that. I don't think he's as bad as Phil was making out in his first league game. I'm certainly not negative about him.

As for Salgado, he had a poor start last season too. We know he's a good right back. Can't speak for Bruno but I can't imagine he's great. It's a loss losing Emerton as well. The positive from this is that we have brought in Dann which frees up Givet or Olsson to play at left or right back. Not ideal but not a catastrophe. Also from what i hear of the kids, there could be one or two full backs about to break through.

It's the best window we've had in a long time in my books.

What do people think of the transfer window system it self? IE Only being able to buy and sell in the two alloted periods, as opposed to all year round with deadline day in March ish like it used to be?

As it should be - except maybe it should open a few weeks earlier and should close at 5pm the day before the 1st game of the season.

Open window allows clubs like City to sign a new player every few weeks and buy the title.

As it should be - except maybe it should open a few weeks earlier and should close at 5pm the day before the 1st game of the season.

Open window allows clubs like City to sign a new player every few weeks and buy the title.

Sure but it puts silly pressure on teams to have over inflated squads, no one can go out and buy much needed replacements during the season and the larger clubs just go daft on backups (see ManC, Chelsea et al who no have almost full second sides better than ours).

I think it lost a big part of it's use with the new fair play rules (which unfortunatly have a nasty side effect of benefiting the high income clubs).. teams like chelsea can have to balance the books to stay in Europe, simply buying the league is no longer an option (which sadly means eventually most city clubs will float to the top).

I also believe that having the transfer window in place inflates player prices and agent fees considerably and leaves many clubs with players they do not want.

What it does it make the top clubs stockpile good players so that they can cover injuries. That's why so many good players end up warming the benches of the top teams nowadays.

If there was an open window teams wouldn't have to stockpile players like they do now, because they would know they could address any injury problems as and when they happened.

True - but imagine an open window.....3 bad results and they would go and buy another attacker!

They would suffer if they did that, it wouldn't buy them the title. It can take players a while to settle in - look at Dzeko.

Archived