Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

Published: Thursday, 1 September 2011

2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

by Kamy

Summer ins and outs

So there we have it: after three months of fevered speculation the transfer window has shut. I for one am delighted because now I can get back to my daily routine and the focus can now turn to on-the-field matters.

The big question, of course, is: have Rovers had a good transfer window? Let's look back at what has happened during the course of this summer's transfer window.

The window began with the departure of Phil Jones to Manchester United. There had been speculation since January that Jones would leave Rovers this summer. He was courted by all the top clubs — United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool — and it was no surprise that he moved on, but like many things this summer the Jones transfer turned into a saga. It transpired that he had a release clause in his contract set at £16 million, which United activated. The player agreed to the move and United expected to seal the deal, but Venky's decided that they wanted more than £16 million and kicked up a huge fuss claiming that the £16 million clause only allowed Jones to talk to interested clubs and didn't mean that Rovers had to sell him at the price. Liverpool then came in with a £22 million bid, but Jones was determined to join Manchester United. After days of wrangling a deal was finally agreed. While the transfer fee remains undisclosed, it is understood that United paid £16.5 million up front with a further £3.5 million due in the form of performance-based add-ons. The Jones transfer saga seems to have gone down well with the fans, with many delighted that the owners fought for a better deal; however, the national media was less complimentary, with many journalists claiming that this was another example of Venky's naivety.

With the Jones transfer complete, thoughts turned to incoming activity. Going into July there was a lot of optimism that the club was about to make a huge splash in the transfer market, with Rovers manager Steve Kean claiming that the transfer budget was "very healthy". This sense of optimism was further heightened by national media speculation that Steve Kean had a £50 million war-chest. Now the real fun began, and within a matter of days Rovers were being linked with big-money transfer swoops for Papiss Cisse, Alexander Witsel and Pablo Piatti, to name but a few, and the BRFCS messageboard exploded with excitement as it seemed that Rovers were indeed on the verge of something very special.

As July wore on, however, optimism turned to doubt, doubt turned to frustration, and frustration turned to anger. None of the high-profile signings had materialised and Rovers had started to hold talks with players who were on free transfers, but they couldn't even get those deals done. Rovers' transfer policy had become a joke. National media ridiculed Rovers and fans wondered what on earth was going on. Where a month earlier the BRFCS messageboard had been full of excitement, now there was anger, despondency and depression. It now seems that Rovers had indeed been after these high-profile players, but it is alleged that the relationship between Venky's and their advisors Kentaro broke down in July and this was the reason why all transfer activity was suspended as the owners took stock of the situation.

Into August, with the season fast approaching and many fans feeling an increasing sense of despair, finally there was a ray of hope — finally it seemed that things were starting to move. Slowly but surely talk of free transfers subsided and Rovers started to be linked with young and upcoming players. Fans were more buoyant; newspapers continued to pour scorn. I am reliably informed that once Venky's had taken stock, they decided to change the transfer procedures: Kentaro were sidelined and transfers were now to be done in house with the likes of Paul Hunt, Anthony Bloch and Venny Rao working together to get deals done. Allegedly the owners did not want to pay the agent fees that were being demanded.

So with new transfer procedures in place things started to move. Radosav Petrovic arrived from Partizan Belgrade for £2.5 million (plus add-ons) to bolster the midfield and David Goodwillie arrived from Dundee United for £2 million (plus add-ons). There was now renewed optimism which was further heightened by the arrival of the highly rated Simon Vukcevic, while unknown Brazilian full-back Bruno Ribeiro had been brought in on a free transfer. On the outgoing front, Niko Kalinic left for Russian side Dnipro, fans' favourite Keith Andrews went to Ipswich on loan and Brett Emerton was allowed to leave on a free transfer to Sydney FC in his native Australia after eight years' service to the club. There was now speculation that they would add Greek-American defender George John of MLS side Dallas FC and Bosnian striker Vedad Ibisevic of Hoffenheim. Negotiations with both players were reported to be at the advanced stages, but, as transfer deadline day approached, suddenly these deals were halted and there was concern that Rovers would not strengthen further. Any concern was short-lived, however, as highly rated defender Scott Dann arrived from Birmingham CIty on transfer deadline day for a reported fee of £6 million, while Yakubu was brought in from Everton and, as the window was about to shut, young striker Jordan Slew was snapped up for around £1 million from Sheffield United.

A good transfer window?

So, to go back to the original question "Have Rovers had a good transfer window?" it is perhaps easier to answer this by looking at each department of the team:

Defence

Defensively, with the addition of Scott Dann, Rovers now have the makings of a formidable centre-back partnership. Dann and Samba are both very highly rated defenders and outside the top 5 it is as good a partnership as there is and this should give Rovers defensive stability. The position where there is concern is at right-back. Michel Salgado has started to show his age and, with the departure of Brett Emerton and with the unknown Bruno Ribeiro providing cover, Rovers seem very light in that position. Generally, however, Rovers should be fine defensively.

Midfield

Rovers now have an array of options in midfield. There are three defensive midfielders on the books — Nzonzi, Petrovic and Grella — with the likes of Pedersen and Dunn able to play more attacking roles. Simon Vukcevic further reinforces the midfield and is an excellent addition who could be one of the bargain transfers of the summer. Added to this you have Junior Hoilett and Martin Olsson, who could now be pushed further forward with Givet slotting in at left-back. Ruben Rochina can also play in the wide positions. It is fair to say the midfield is now not an area of major concern.

Attack

The attack is the one area of huge concern. The summer started with Rovers desperate for a regular goalscorer. Our top scorers last season mustered only five goals and the Rovers nearly paid the penalty for a lack of goals. Roque Santa Cruz and Mame Diouf went back to their respective clubs at the end of their loan deals and Niko Kalinic has been sold. That left Rovers with Jason Roberts. Rovers have added the promising David Goodwillie and the experienced Yakubu, while Mauro Formica has been playing the second striker role and has made a very promising start to the season. Ruben Rochina played and scored twice in the Carling Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday and shows a huge amount of potential. The fact remains, though, that Rovers at the moment do not have a reliable goalscorer that can guarantee 15–20 goals each season, and this could cause major problems. While it is true that we have players of potential, it is a huge risk to rely on these unproven players. If we look back at last season, the reason that Birmingham got relegated was that they didn't have a proven goalscorer.

Some afterthoughts

This has been a very mixed window. There have been some good signings and there have been some signings which have potential, but I hope that the decision not to sign a top striker does not come back to haunt Rovers. Moreover, the summer has seen the club's reputation further deteriorate, mainly due to outlandish statements made by the manager and owners regarding Champions League football which have not been backed up by sufficient spending in the transfer market and also due to the outward appearance that the owners do not know what they are doing.

Questions also need to be answered about the financial situation. Rovers received transfer fees of at least £23 million, which, coupled with the alleged £10 million transfer budget that we had, would have given Kean £33 million as the owners had promised to reinvest all money from sales. However, Rovers have spent in the region of £18 million, so where has the rest of the money gone?

I hope that Venky's have learnt some lessons and that come the next transfer window the same mistakes are not repeated. Now that the window has closed it is time for everyone to focus on supporting the team. Rovers are pointless after the first three games and face a battle for survival under Steve Kean. We can only hope that the signings will help us in this battle. Whether Steve Kean is the right man to take the club forward, however, is a question for another day.

* Published to the front page here.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read as usual, Wen Y Hu, but why leave out the Myles Anderson transfer? If there was one transfer that really got the blood boiling among the fans this summer it had to be that one...

I did the article, sorry I missed out Myles Anderson. To be honest not much is known about how? why? he was signed, other than he was here for a trial at the start of last season. Then with Kean incharge we decided to sign him on a free transfer, he seems not to have made any impact at Aberdeen last season. Kean described him as a "Chris Smalling" type signing but he seems not ready for the first team as even with our inhuryt crisis at the start of the season he did not play.

Of course there are the inevitable links with his father, his father and Kean but it is impossible to comment on what the motivations for signing him are? Frankly i'd be amazed if he ever gets anywhere near playing in the Premier League for Rovers.

I did the article, sorry I missed out Myles Anderson. To be honest not much is known about how? why? he was signed, other than he was here for a trial at the start of last season. Then with Kean incharge we decided to sign him on a free transfer, he seems not to have made any impact at Aberdeen last season. Kean described him as a "Chris Smalling" type signing but he seems not ready for the first team as even with our inhuryt crisis at the start of the season he did not play.

Of course there are the inevitable links with his father, his father and Kean but it is impossible to comment on what the motivations for signing him are? Frankly i'd be amazed if he ever gets anywhere near playing in the Premier League for Rovers.

Good article.

On M.A. you could have just written:

M.A. - WTF is that all about????

That would have summed it up.

Mixed views from me about yesterday's business.

Scott Dann sounds like a great signing. 24 yrs old and part of a good Brum defence last season. Probably as good as we could have done here. I'll wait until I see him in a rovers shirt before coming to a conclusion.

But.... the forwards? We have three out and out strikers at the club - Yak, Roberts and DG. There's an awful lot of weight on these lads to produce the goods. People say the Yak is an improvement on Roberts, but that's an irrelevance. The real question is "do we now have the strikers that can lift a team currently pointless after three games, up into the safety zone? The thing about that question is that hardly anyone wanted Roberts to be playing anything other than a bit part between now and the end of the season. Unfortunately, because of the lack of out and out strikers, we most definitely will see a lot of him either starting, or coming on as a sub. He's still going to be one of our main players - and that's the real worry to me. Yak, Roberts and DG don't convince me at the moment.

As for the rest of the window, well we haven't seen Zukcevic yet, so know nothing about him. Petrove hasn't impressed me at all yet.

Verdict on the window? - Don't know. If anything, we lack fire power. Teams that can't score goals go down. Let's hope the midfielders chip in as they have had to for a few seasons now.

Well written summary there, although I would disagree with some points.

It is fair to say the midfield is now not an area of major concern.

The attack is the one area of huge concern

Rovers at the moment do not have a reliable goalscorer that can guarantee 15–20 goals

To me the central midfield is the biggest concern of all. Petrovic is nowhere near ready to fill the void left by Jermaine Jones and Grella is always injured. We only have N'Zonzi to rely on as a defensive midfield player but he struggles when he doesn't have the right partner. I think teams will have no problem cutting through our midfield at will unless Grella can keep himself fit until January, and even then he's not very good.

I'm not sure the attack is a 'huge' concern. We haven't had a goalscorer in the squad since Roque's first season and we've done ok. It's a shame we couldn't find a top striker but we look like we've got plenty of goals in us from midfield, so it's not too bad.

There aren't any teams outside the top four who have a guaranteed 15-20 goal a season striker, with the possible exception of Bent at Villa. They're incredibly rare. Guaranteeing 15-20 goals is setting the bar outrageously high. 8-12 is far more realistic. Our problem has been that we haven't had a striker who can get near this target either.

As for the rest of the window, well we haven't seen Zukcevic yet, so know nothing about him. Petrove hasn't impressed me at all yet.

That would be Vukcevic and Petrovic! Sorry, I've just got a 'thing' about names being spelled incorrectly. :)

• Phil Jones > Replaced with Scott Dann

• Roque Santa Cruz > Replaced with Yakubu

• Keith Andrews > Replaced with Simon Vukcevic

• Nikola Kalinic > Replaced by Goodwillie

• Jermaine Jones > Replaced by Petrovic

• Zurab Kisanishvilli > Replaced by Ribiero

• Mame Diouf > Replaced with Jordan Slew

• Gavin Gunning X No need to replace > Replaced by Miles Anderson

• Benjani > Replaced by Mauro Formica (saving)

• Emerton > Replaced by Ruben Rochina (saving)

• Rigters > X No need to replace (saving)

• Jason Brown > X No need to replace (saving)

• Diouf > X No need to replace (saving)

Players already with the club, therefore wage saving in that slot...however didnt really feature last season

• Mauro Formica

• Ruben Rochina

Guest Wen Y Hu

Great read as usual, Wen Y Hu, but why leave out the Myles Anderson transfer? If there was one transfer that really got the blood boiling among the fans this summer it had to be that one...

Must admit that I had one eye on the list of transfer ins and outs while I was editing and presumed that Kamy had left out Anderson for the same reason that he had not mentioned the likes of Gunning, Doran and Potts, who all left the club this summer. Namely, that he is viewed as being on the periphery of the squad. For the same reason, I guess Blackman is not mentioned among the striking options for this season. Barring an injury crisis, I can't see either being involved in the Premier League this season. That's all there was to it, really, from my view.

On another note, I should have posted this under BRFCS News so that I don't keep getting quoted and credited for the great work that Kamy has put in to write this article. Sorry 'bout that. :blush:

Well written summary there, although I would disagree with some points.

To me the central midfield is the biggest concern of all. Petrovic is nowhere near ready to fill the void left by Jermaine Jones and Grella is always injured. We only have N'Zonzi to rely on as a defensive midfield player but he struggles when he doesn't have the right partner. I think teams will have no problem cutting through our midfield at will unless Grella can keep himself fit until January, and even then he's not very good.

I'm not sure the attack is a 'huge' concern. We haven't had a goalscorer in the squad since Roque's first season and we've done ok. It's a shame we couldn't find a top striker but we look like we've got plenty of goals in us from midfield, so it's not too bad.

There aren't any teams outside the top four who have a guaranteed 15-20 goal a season striker, with the possible exception of Bent at Villa. They're incredibly rare. Guaranteeing 15-20 goals is setting the bar outrageously high. 8-12 is far more realistic. Our problem has been that we haven't had a striker who can get near this target either.

That would be Vukcevic and Petrovic! Sorry, I've just got a 'thing' about names being spelled incorrectly. :)

Oops, sorry about the spelling LeChuck, it didn't look right when I wrote it. I must take you task about not needing strikers who can score goals though. A team can't continue to get away with that. I suppose my main point is that Roberts is still going to be a main player for us, - when really he should be third or fourth choice.

Judged against the standards of the club's public declarations of big budgets (by Kean), the association with big hitter name players (by the media), the promise of a net 5 million spend per year (by Venkys), it's been a weary transfer window.

Not being content with this miserable state of affairs the Positivity Ultras (curiously many of whom joined around mid 2011) are now bouncing up and down declaring their excitment at the outcome and banging on about one of the best windows in years.

Give me a break. We've been forced to suck but please don't try to make us swallow as well.

We are on zero points after playing some of the weakest teams in the league. That's 9 points to make up, just for parity. The new signings will have to play out of their skins with immediate effect and continue to do so if we are to reclaim any ground on the others. Kean may come good - who knows - but right now this combination of signings and coaching staff is woeful.

The trouble with the glass half full / half empty analogy is that it ignores what you start with.

If you start off with a full glass but it gets changed for half a glass then the glass is half empty - if you start off with an empty glass and it gets changed for half a glass then it's half full. The Rovers started with a full glass! We were regulars in the top half of the table, we had silverware, we had a reputation and an ethos, we had a good board and we had solid management (I'll put it no stronger than that for fear of sparking WWIII again). Against all these measures our glass really is now half empty. Before anyone invokes the name of the Trust and what they would have done I would contend that Venkys spending a net negative budget of this magnitude is no stick to beat the Trust with, they at least always stood up to the plate when the going got tough (and were honest and consistent in what they had to say and were never asked to repay bank borrowing either for some reason - go figure).

This transfer window has improved nothing. Even if you allow the bad of PJ leaving to be cancelled out by the good of Dann arriving the rest of the incomings have changed what exactly? Are we stronger or weaker? If we are weaker (to me that's unarguable) then please stop with all this mindless positivity quest claptrap.

Support the team yes, get behind the club yes, but stop whistling happy tunes in the dark - we are still in a very bad place, and life is irritating enough right now.

Here's a fact.

Yakubu: 127 career goals at 28 years old.

Robbie Keane: 155 career goals at 31 years old.

I was one of the few who really wanted Robbie Keane but looking at that... It could well be a decent bit of business by Rovers there.

Here's a fact.

Yakubu: 127 career goals at 28 years old.

Robbie Keane: 155 career goals at 31 years old.

I was one of the few who really wanted Robbie Keane but looking at that... It could well be a decent bit of business by Rovers there.

Last three seasons in the Prem - 11 goals.

I must take you task about not needing strikers who can score goals though. A team can't continue to get away with that.

I do agree there, I just think we can't expect 15-20 goals. To put in context, only 5 players scored that many last season. It's a figure only achieved by the elite.

Our problem has been we haven't been able to get a striker approaching double figures. If we can find a solid striker who will score 8-12 then that will be enough. I know that doesn't sound much, but the likes of Drogba, Rooney and Torres fell into that bracket last year.

Yakubu has ability to be that player for us, but he's a gamble.

Real Madrid winger Pedro Leon is set to snub a move to the Premier League in order to stay in Spain with Getafe.

A string of Premier League clubs were keeping tabs on Leon’s situation and reports in Spain have suggested that Bolton and Blackburn had both had loan bids accepted by Real.

Has this been posted before?

Would have been a great signing.

wow right back looks very weak, shame we didn't get someone there

Apparently Dann can play at right back if needs be. You're right though, it's a shame we didn't get anyone.

Philipp Degen was released by Liverpool yesterday. We should at least offer him a trial.

A mixed window in my view with a lot of question marks over pretty much all our signings (except probably Dann).

Defence:

Overall I would say it is slightly weaker with the loss of Jones but Dann is a very good player and probably the best we could find in our price range. Salgado is ageing rapidly and if he continues to play as bad as he has done so far this season then teams will contnue to exploit that weakness. Emerton going has weakened us further at that position.

Midfield:

The wing and creative options on paper seem to be fine, lot of pressure on the likes of Vukcevic, Formica and Rochina to deliver the goods. Central midfield still is a worry. Pedersen and Dunny can't play their due to their lack of ability and Grella can't play there due to being very injury prone. A lot riding on Petrovic and N'Zonzi playing well and remaining fit, lose one to injury and we have problems lose both and we are frucked. Jason Lowe might have to play an important role this season and hopefully he steps up if called upon.

Strikers:

I like the signing of Goddwillie; he seems to work hard, has good movement and has a good shot on him. Yakubu it all depends on if he can be bothered and he can keep the weight down, he might be able to chip in with a few goals if he remains focused. Blackman is pretty rubbish from what i've seen and Roberts we all know isn't good enough for this level. The most pressure will be on Goodie to score goals, to do that we need to make sure we build the team around him in order to try and get the best out of him.

The manager:

Probably the biggest weakness we have right now is Steve is still here. Part of me hopes we lose the next two so he get's sacked, the squad overall should have enough to stay up with a decent manager. If Kean continues to pick the likes of Roberts, Pedersen, Salgado and Dunny then we are seriously hampering our chances of survival.

The owners:

Pretty poor window for them with them promising all sorts of money being spent and we just haven't. The owners could have some big decisions to make in the coming months, let's hope they are strong enough and quick enough to make them.

Overall grade of the business done in the transfer window:

C

An OK window, we have probably stood still or kept to the level we were at. We will have to see how the season progresses and what impact all these signings we have made will make.

I disagree with the role of Vuckovic. Whenever I have seen him he has played as part of a front 2 in the kind of Mike Newell role. He is a real 'mosquito' player always harassing defences...but needs to play with another 'active' forward. Goodwillie looks the best partner. I would expect them both to be able to score 8 to 10 goals in a season. Probably not enough but depends on our midfielders as well in a more fluid formation.

I disagree with the role of Vuckovic. Whenever I have seen him he has played as part of a front 2 in the kind of Mike Newell role. He is a real 'mosquito' player always harassing defences...but needs to play with another 'active' forward. Goodwillie looks the best partner. I would expect them both to be able to score 8 to 10 goals in a season. Probably not enough but depends on our midfielders as well in a more fluid formation.

But Kean has already spoken about him as a wide player. With Emerton's departure, I'm almost certain we'll see Hoilett on one side and Vukcevic on the other, with the two interchanging.

Kean on Vukcevic: "It’ll take a bit of time to bed himself in but he’s a wide player"

Archived