BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

Guest Wen Y Hu

Question folks.. does anyone else have concerns about us lacking a utility player? We have nearly always had one for as long for as I can remember (dang brings back memories of the king of versitility ala Paul Warhurst lol), not always the best of players but certainly capable of slotting in during those injury/suspension kind of moments.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just about bite though is it, most big teams play with experienced players in the middle of the park that provide cover for the back 4.. imo allot of them are actually misread in how they play just because they are not seen throwing themselves around nor in the thick of the goalmouth action.. for me

ManU have the likes of Carrick playing that role (personally think he looked better as a deep lying playmaker when alongside a proper defensive midfielder but thats the position SAF wants him in)

Liverpool have Leiva for that role

Chelsea have Essien, Mikel and co

Spuds have Sandro and Parker

Arsenal have not looked the same since loosing Alonso and ask any of their fans and they will point to that being one of the main weaknesses in their side (Wenger believes they need someone there as they have even gone as far as playing Frimfrong in that role this season)

ManCity have Toure, Barry, De Jong and Hargreaves (greedy little...)

Some of these players are more box to box however when required they play that defensive midfield role (against tough teams or when the main defensive midfielder is out) take a scout around the EPL and you will find them in almost every team.

Take a look at how we played at the end of last season all of our decent games came from 2 def midfielders (2 from PJ, JJ and Nzonzi), Keans more attacking/passing style suits us having two defensive midfielders or 1 box to box and 1 defensive.. and at the moment we have no Box to Box players and two youngsters and a sick note. I would say Kean also favours that formation.

As it stands I reckon we will have to play Nzonzi AND Petrovic (and hope he hits the ground running) to get the best out of the other lads we have signed.. because frankly Simon, Dunn, Hoillett, Formica, Rochina, Olsson et al are all full on attacking players who are not going to help break up the play, win the ball, pressure the opposition or even effectivly track back.

I think that sums it up pretty well, incidentally, Scholes only finished last year, he was an ace at pressing the ball, playing a simple pass to his team mates, Sav was brilliant in that role for us and Stoke have one or two who do that so well.

Personally, the best we have at that job is never fit but I saw him for Turino when he was fit and Grella would have been ideal, just wonder why someone with no injury issues has problems here, wonder if its the climate??

Yep! 50% is certainly airing on the side of caution.

Not my version just correcting the math for you.

Even allowing for the alleged third party ownership with Jorge Messi, 10.5m over the headline fee is a tad hard to believe don't you think.

I'll repeat it again, mine was a conservative estimate as I think that formica's 3.5 million cost us more than 8 million total-Kamy did say that the figure was unbelievable and Glen said look at the figure for Rochina to take a guess.There is no way to know who is correct atm but when the figure is released I am sure we will be equally shocked.

I'll repeat it again, mine was a conservative estimate as I think that formica's 3.5 million cost us more than 8 million total-Kamy did say that the figure was unbelievable and Glen said look at the figure for Rochina to take a guess.There is no way to know who is correct atm but when the figure is released I am sure we will be equally shocked.

shhh imy your scaring people.. any option in the argument is not good imo.. because from whatever angle you look at it they allowed themselves to be taken for a ride which added to scary footballing decisions is utterly frightening for our long term future. I personally think fees and golden handshakes is where the 18m overdraft came from that cost us a great summer.

Good thing we never signed the June/July targets using the "Glen said look at the figure for Rochina to take a guess".

We could be have been looking at a £200m window.

Role on Venky's London A/C being published.

Reason why JA was dropped pretty quickly after?

back to the original point, money has been spent and wasted, as opposed to no money being spent from their own pockets.

Who was the poster that said he would reveal the name of the striker that refused to sign while Kean was in charge?.

Come out from the shadows and spill the beans.

Reason why JA was dropped pretty quickly after?

back to the original point, money has been spent and wasted, as opposed to no money being spent from their own pockets.

imy, Im not privy to facts, so I will not make assumptions in this case there are too many variables, you'll have to excuse me as I'm leaving it there.

Good Article on the benefit(s) or otherwise of Transfer Windows from an unusual source (As they are usually rubbish)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2033401/Patrick-Collins-Football-stop-selling-short-transfer-window.html

I did start a thread to discuss the concept of transfer windows etc, but was told to move it here, as it's clearly got nowt to do with the debate I would have liked to hear opinion on... But there you have it...

Exactly - but the difference is you know for a fact that we haven't got all the Jones money. Kalinic money in and Dann money out can be debated. Just because we don't know all the facts doesn't mean we should ignore the ones we do.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I'm not sure how you missed my point. If we can only buy players by selling our best ones and reinvesting part of the proceeds, who's next to go so we can have another "successful window?"

And how does this differ from the Trust? What happens when we have no really good players left to sell?

I agrees with you. JW Trust was best owners for our clob. Always good managers, always good finishes, I wish JW Trust was still owners of BRFC.

Good Article on the benefit(s) or otherwise of Transfer Windows from an unusual source (As they are usually rubbish)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2033401/Patrick-Collins-Football-stop-selling-short-transfer-window.html

I did start a thread to discuss the concept of transfer windows etc, but was told to move it here, as it's clearly got nowt to do with the debate I would have liked to hear opinion on... But there you have it...

While its a good article, its one of those articles where the judgement appears, before any of those players have played a game for their new clubs. Crouch could turn out a good buy, and Benayoun is a solid midfielder. Yakubu, well he is a more than capable striker who will score goals. While its at time ridiculous, the transfer window can either save you or break you. Its really the January window, that is more of a problem, as its a big disruption.

More civilised surely to clarify what you meant? If you can of course.......

There's no point. We've hit that extremely familiar point on this messageboard where two people have established opposing opinions and no ground is being given no matter how logical the posts made are.

That's when I usually bow out.

I agrees with you. JW Trust was best owners for our clob. Always good managers, always good finishes, I wish JW Trust was still owners of BRFC.

Reinvestment difference is nearly 50% more from sales income than it was with the trust,they sold the best players sold the club and then they can blame others.. sadly not having that.. :angry2:

Reinvestment difference is nearly 50% more from sales income than it was with the trust,they sold the best players sold the club and then they can blame others.. sadly not having that.. :angry2:

Don't care how much was apparently re-invested in the club.. so far the new owners have shown a level of competency that frankly scares the hell out of me so I am as yet far from convinced. One of the things that I have loved over the last 15 years has been how well run the club has been, was always something that I could take a great deal of pride in, and although investement since the jack days has been poor Rovers always seemed a great bet, even when things went wrong there always seemed to be a back up plan, the boss types reacted and we knew we would battle back.

As a club we have among football fans in general become something of a joke and frankly I don't like that one bit.

Really worried this time that we have taken to much of a gamble on both signings and manager and we no longer have the creditability to bounce back, attract a better class of player, attract a decent level of manager or even be able to find a buyer should venkys decide to bail.

Sorry but who sold the club in the first instance? our beloved trust. They wanted rid of us and didn’t really care which cowboys bought the club. It also appears that the trust allowed SEM to take some form of lead in identifying new owners.

I am no fan of venkys, ( there biggest mistake is allowing a sub-standard manager to continue in his post) but looking back at some of the footballing and non-footballing decisions that have been made over the past 10 years the trust have made many mistakes.

• The appointment of Ince

• Turning down Sam first time around ( going for the cheaper option)

• Not backing Mark Hughes

• Withdrawing all external funding to the club.

• Lavishing huge contacts on the likes, of Grella, MGP, Roberts, Diouf & Dunn

• Selling our best players and not having the business model that allows for 50% of the money to be reinvested in the team

Archived