BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

Guest Wen Y Hu

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how long before players contracts with some sort of release / get out clause if the are not included in the 25 man squad for say two terms or one full season.

Not too far away actually, some players got caught up with this due to last minute transfers and couldnt move on, benefits Championship clubs cos they can take these as loan players!!

So how many extra thousands of Rovers fans are going to come flooding back after this summers transfer window.

Surely this would be as good a measure as any to gauge how successful the club have been other than by that of positive results on the pitch.

• Backroom

I'm rather deflated after this window.. Dann is a good buy, but what happened to the striker? Yakubu??? we were promised better than that (yet another broken promise from the muppets) I'm so disillusioned with it all!

My vision for this season? If we don't get rid of the clown PDQ then more than likely we'll be relegated and getting back in this league is going to be nigh on impossible without massive investment (and I can't see the Venky's coming across with the goods there!)

All in all, totally fed up and frustrated.

Shortly after Jones left if you'd given me this transfer window - bringing in Dann and keeping hold of Samba, I'd have snapped your arm off. I honestly thought we were doomed to losing half of our squad.

The Yak's a big gamble but as many others have correctly pointed out, you don't get half decent prem strikers for less than 10 million these days so unfortunately that's the route we've had to take.

1 more transfer still needed though......a decent manager could take this squad from the bottom 3 to the top 10.

1 more transfer still needed though......a decent manager could take this squad from the bottom 3 to the top 10.

I agree with that, obviously based on his record to date Kean has quite a bit to do to prove he is that decent manager.

I actually think the squad's actually coming together very nicely. We've got rid of two high earning non performers in EHD and Emerton this summer and if we could offload Pedersen and Dunn whilst bringing in decent replacements the squad would have a very vibrant and healthy look to it.

Obviously the one thing that still might make or break us is the striker situation. Can we survive if none of the strikers chip in with more than 5 or 6 League goals as has been the case for the last couple of seasons?

Hopefully we can with Hoillet in the team and more attacking options from midfield.

Personally, I think this was an excellent transfer window for Rovers.

We got good money for Jones, whose departure was inevitable. We kept hold of Samba which, in itself, is the single best piece of business we could have done. Finally, we have strengthened significantly in those areas we were weakest. We now have great strength in depth and a good mix of youth and experience.

Dann was an absolutely inspired signing for the money we paid and Yakubu looks like he's regained his fitness and form. If he gets back to the levels he reached at Pompey, 'Boro, and Everton, then we have the 10-15 goal a season forward we desperately need.

The only reason to think that this wasn't a good close season for Rovers was the fact that Venky's promised so much more and, I have to admit, that does sour things for me.

Personally, I think this was an excellent transfer window for Rovers.

We got good money for Jones, whose departure was inevitable. We kept hold of Samba which, in itself, is the single best piece of business we could have done. Finally, we have strengthened significantly in those areas we were weakest. We now have great strength in depth and a good mix of youth and experience.

Dann was an absolutely inspired signing for the money we paid and Yakubu looks like he's regained his fitness and form. If he gets back to the levels he reached at Pompey, 'Boro, and Everton, then we have the 10-15 goal a season forward we desperately need.

The only reason to think that this wasn't a good close season for Rovers was the fact that Venky's promised so much more and, I have to admit, that does sour things for me.

So you think we have balance in the squad ?

My view is this, we are OK defensively, we have Rochina, Formica, Hoillet, Simon, Dunn, Pederson (possibly Olsson) all attacking midfielders and only Petrovic and N'Zonzi (Grella if fit) as holding midfielders and from what I have seen to date, Petrovic will take quite a bit of time to get up to the pace of the game, he looks amazingly slow!! so no real ball winner in there.

Up Top, we have Roberts (not good enough) Goodwillie who will score goals if he gets an opportunity, as will Yakubu, Blackman isnt good enough and whilst I reserve judgement on Jordan Slew, its worth remembering that he is being kept out of the under 19s by Tom Hitchcock who is on loan at Plymouth!!

I havent mentioned Anderson or Bruno as I dont feel either will make a first team game this season if ever!

So you think we have balance in the squad ?

My view is this, we are OK defensively, we have Rochina, Formica, Hoillet, Simon, Dunn, Pederson (possibly Olsson) all attacking midfielders and only Petrovic and N'Zonzi (Grella if fit) as holding midfielders and from what I have seen to date, Petrovic will take quite a bit of time to get up to the pace of the game, he looks amazingly slow!! so no real ball winner in there.

Up Top, we have Roberts (not good enough) Goodwillie who will score goals if he gets an opportunity, as will Yakubu, Blackman isnt good enough and whilst I reserve judgement on Jordan Slew, its worth remembering that he is being kept out of the under 19s by Tom Hitchcock who is on loan at Plymouth!!

I havent mentioned Anderson or Bruno as I dont feel either will make a first team game this season if ever!

I dont think defensive midfield is a big issue. We have 3 options there and considering two of those will probably be playing alongside each other, I reckon that even if Petrovic is slow to get going, having Nzonzi/Grella alongside will help. Im not denying that its an area which in an ideal world we would like to have more bodies in, but I think there are more concerning areas of the squad - Right Back and Strikers.

Defensively we are as strong as we were last season in my opinion and I think thats as good as we could have hoped for at the beginning of the summer.

Attacking midfield is our strong point. A wealth of options, most of whom could probably play as a second striker if required.

I think Yakubu could do a good job on reflection. He'll certainly add experience and have far more of an impact than Roberts. Still lack a regular goalscorer but besides that I think we're looking ok.

He's made 20 appearances and scored 11 goals for Leicester since January. He's certainly kept fit and been in good form, albeit at a lower level.

It's not just about fitness (although I still think he does not look in shape) damage to the achilles tendon slows the player down and reduces the power in his shot.. the championship might now be his level but we will see, might just need a fresh start but he will never return to the same level he was at and thats science fact rather than fiction. Not saying he won't knock in the odd goal his natural ability as a goal scorer can't of deserted him, but he won't be the same player that was originally knocking them back for Everton.

Turkey being outside the EU is the only thing I can think of...

Think you may be right,according to Wikipedia the window was introduced "in response to negotiations with the European Commission". Also it seems each nation can decide when it's transfer windows apply so all this talk that we can't change ours to end at the start of the season is rubbish, we can if we wanted to.

Obviously the one thing that still might make or break us is the striker situation. Can we survive if none of the strikers chip in with more than 5 or 6 League goals as has been the case for the last couple of seasons?

Hopefully we can with Hoillet in the team and more attacking options from midfield.

There were five players who scored 20+ goals last season. Rooney, Tevez and Lampard are not your stereotypical number 9 type strikers. The other two were Drogba and Bent.

The main reason we nearly went down last season was our atrocious performance in front of goal. Roberts, Kalinic, Santa Cruz and Diouff were the main culprits although Roberts, to his credit, did make a significant contribution to the team performance when the chips were down at the death. Midfield was rubbish too.

Guaranteed "20+ goals a season" strikers are out of our league sadly so we have to do it differently. We have something different up top now. The potential attacking threat of Formica, Goodwillie, Rochina and Vukcevic (and maybe even Petrovic?) (and not forgetting old boys like Hoilett and Olsson) with the Yak leading the line is mildly exciting isn't it?

Damn it, I can't shake off this optimism thingy. How do the rest of you guys do it?

Archived