[Archived] 2011 Summer Transfer Window Roundup

Guest Wen Y Hu

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I do have the strength so here goes:

In the Summertime by MungoVenky:

May 20 season ends

Rest of May: the weather is fine and we have a £50m pot (nicko) or the biggest pot we have even had (keano) but little did we know we didn't even have a pot to wee in...

Early June: Put the Marquee up, let the Jones out, yah boo sucks at ManU and get the straitjacket for Vinjay.

Mid-June: start planning for the summer transfer window. Didn't we have a wonderful time the week we went to Brockhall? (wrong song)- Kean, Scouts, Huber write marquee list, A list, B list, C list and none of them have Myles Anderson on them

A bit later in June: Huber swings the entire might of Kentaro onto swamping the world with Rovers queries to get 5 players signed within a fortnight. Nicko goes into overdrive of delight and Pappis Cisse almost gets across the line, well a line, well we never talked to him, well we get to hear intimate details of the offer made to Friburg, Cisse and Kentaro's bank account, well he doesn't come anyway, well he never got asked, well the money may or may not have been there to be spent or, or orrgh

A bit later in June: Myles Anderson might be signed to general bemusement not least of Chris Smalling

A bit later in June: It's Balaji and his Brasilian side-kick getting all excited about Neymar taking over all transfers and telling Huber to drop everything as they are the big kids now- well for about 24 hours until Huber calls Mrs D who stops everything and puts them all in the dunce's corner.

End of June: nicko in apoplexy- too many lists, no decision making, every agent in the world now has more telephone numbers for Pune than girls on the Rieperbahn. SHAMBLES SCREAMS NICKO and he promptly picks a fight with an innocent board member as he and about 30 transfer targets depart this earthly thread.

Early July; Huber and Mrs D have another barny

Early July: A SIGNING or a retread from January? Whatever, daddy's boy Myles Anderson checks in. He can join all the other kids in...

Blackburn Wakes Weeks' Guess who is doing our transfers? © which replaces boncy castle (jumping on Kean's head) as the most popular game for young 'uns of all ages in a picturesque corner of merrye olde Lancashire. Meanwhilst in Pune, a middle aged lady has lost her pen and will not sign anything.

Still Middle July: Zahavi flogging Kalinic for £12m, Pavone and family shacked up waiting for Keano- it is all going to end in tears.

Still middle July: we need a panto villain (even though its not Christmas)- there he is, it's Barclay the Banker!

Late July: Dnipro say what was that all about but are patient souls and still offer a ridiculous amount for our Nicko (no, not that one...)

Early August: Jerome Anderson in or out? Step forward another agent whose name I'd never heard of and cannot remember now but he's hot with the Pune set.

Transfer at last! Worth holding it in a long time for this one wasn't it boys? Easy on the prostate.

mid-August enter Ali Merchant who is going to show Paul Hunt how to make an advert for Roast Chicken and keep count of the transfer funds

A bit later in August enter Vineeth Rao in Neville Neville Land, the Teletubbies Home near Bolton. Even more fun for the kids than guess who's doing our transfer?©

Late August- it's all sorted!!! Pini Zahavi gunna get us a whole new team.

Still Late August- its the Balaji and Jerome puppet show in the Directors' Box at Ewood- the kids go wild, will Mr Sweep bash the potato with his rolling pin? No, alas.

Even later August. School sneak Harris snitches on Jerome for raiding Mrs Desai's tuck box.

Even later August. Pini magics up three players on the last day and El Hadji Diouff is seen slinking offstage into his chrome chariot but the kids are too Slew with Yakki Dann to notice.

THE END

I am one of many that have expressed serous concern about Kean and the general running of the club, but I really do think that if Big Sam had signed the players we have signed since Jan, it would have been seen as relatively good business.

Either way, all we can do is get right behind every one if our players, new and old, on the pitch and try to provide the 12th man support that every struggling team needs.

I will be right behind the Kean Out lobby if results do not improve in the next 3 games (which I think they may not do!) but for the next 2 home games we must lift all our players in every way possible.

I know this will be difficult if we start either game with Roberts but I thought the booing of Roberts and Pedersen on Saturday was embarrassing.

I would not start either player but if we are desperate to boo, we should boo the manager, not the players whilst on the pitch.

What did you think of last summer?

We knew the score last summer which wasnt what we wanted for and yearned for change. That change has come and now weve just had this massive chance to improve, did we take it, dont think we have.

Ok I was a bit tongue in cheek with that summary of the transfer window but I have just counted 11 (yes eleven) different set-ups Rovers had this summer for doing our transfers.

There were only 15 weeks from season ending to season opening and the window was only officially open for nine weeks!

That is criminally irresponsible behaviour by Venky's and it is no wonder that the entire football world views them with disdain.

We knew the score last summer which wasnt what we wanted for and yearned for change. That change has come and now weve just had this massive chance to improve, did we take it, dont think we have.

But you and many others made your minds up about Venky's already. So surely you knew the score this season as well?

its a name i heard and PM'd a few on here a couple of weeks ago.

believe everton wanted him.. he didnt fancy them.. so they then switched attention to drenthe.

Pedro Leon was target for several teams in Europe but he always said that, if he left Real Madrid on loan, he would only go to Getafe. No chance of getting him!

Jesus H Christ on a bike!

What is required for some people to be happy? We've got a whinge or a moan for almost every circumstance here.

Anyone in spitting distance of 30 is too old.

Anyone without 50 games in the premier league is too inexperienced.

Anyone less than £5m (£10m?) is too cheap and therefore rubbish.

Anyone playing for another Premier League team begins to take on mythical properties in comparison to our own players.

Any youth player that has left becomes statistically relevant in terms of players in and out.

Then players need to be proven in various different ways and also guaranteed to achieve ridiculous feats such as 15 goals a season despite there probably not being 10 players in league history that could do so!

In many ways this transfer window has been incredible. For years I've wanted rid of a lot of the dead wood in the squad and we're well on our way there. We've got a few promising players in our academy and using them rather than overpaid journeymen must be a good thing. The players we've lost we've replaced (Hughesy's post on page one shows this) and many of the replaced players didn't do all that much for us last year anyway. Can Dann and Petrovic replace the Jones'? We'll find out.

We've now got a team with great experience at the back where it is most needed and filled with youth throughout. Our new centre back pairing is brilliant in terms of quality and age. The Yak has scored goals wherever he has played Yak record. Hoilett has signed a new contract. Formica and Rochina both look dangerous. I could go on (well a little anyway).

Would I have liked a more exciting striker? Yes, but no guarantees come with any player, least of all strikers. When you consider Stoke had to shell out £10m for Peter Crouch's proven Premier League experience of scoring a goal every four+ games I'm not that disappointed. The Yak is younger and has scored more league goals in nearly 100 less appearances than Crouch! There's £10m reasons to be petrified.

I would also be happier if we had another option at right back but most times have some issues and I'll learn to live with it.

Plus we're doing pretty well comparatively to our peers as well. Just looking at forwards Bolton have gambled on N'Gog and have little else up front, Everton are in all kinds of trouble, Newcastle have the mercurial but dodgy knee'd Ba and Leon Best, Norwich!, QPR have DJ and little else, Sunderland have a lot of gambles, Swansea don't have anyone of note, WBA need Odemwingie not to be a one season wonder and Wigan is where Franco di Santo gets a game.

So our strike force might not have the guaranteed 15 goal a season player of legend but looking at those above I'm not all that worried about it!

It's been an awful start brought on by terrible injuries against Wolves, an abject performance all around against Villa and utter profligacy against Everton. We'll be right by the end of the season though.

I wonder what the odds are on ten league goals for the Yak?

Because every other club in the premiership has every position covered with an outstanding player! Get a grip!

From 7th down you have to mix some average with the quality - just how it goes!

In my opinion £18m spent is great for a club like rovers and the players all have great potential, just hope they show it as soon as possible!

Yakubu is better than Kalinic so that will do for me!

Want them to do well, so that Rovers do well. like every other fan.

That wasn't what I asked you.

We've signed some solid players and some promising talent without paying stupid money for it.

If you'd like to see Venky's go down the Pompey route just so we can have some short-term success, then more fool you.

I'm just happy we're investing in the right kind of players.

I thought the loan window slammed shut at the same time as the transfer window and the only way of signing a player now is signing a free agent? ^_^

Agree with most on here in that we have come out of the transfer window with 3 achilles, the RB position(hopefully Salgado will come good) a goalscoring striker(again hopefully one of the forwards steps up along with midfielders contributing goals) and the "manager" Steve Kean who surely only has a handful of games to get it right and some points on the board.

Above all, I'm really looking forward to watching Simon play, by all accounts a very exciting player with plenty of pace and trickery, and fingers crossed the bargain of the window.

Archived