BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Newcastle United, 24th September.

m1st

Being made to look like an old man against Duff? The soft tackle on Zamora that led to a goal? The disaster against Arsenal (It was not all Hoilett's fault)? The <50% pass completion rate in the same game (Lowe managed 89%)?

He's a liability, both with and without the ball. Hopefully we can move him on in January and buy an out-and-out left back. He's on too much money to be back up to Samba and Dann, but that's the only useful purpose he serves right now.

Givet was completely exposed by Hoilet's lack of application to defending for the Fulham goal, once Zamora was in the penalty area and with space, Givet was up against it with the slimmest of margins in stopping Zamora. What he and we needed was for Zamora to make the wrong decision, unfortunatley Zamora didnt and excecuted with a plomb.

Givet so far this season has had two or three excellent matches for us which I think only Paul Robinson can better from any other Rovers players.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givet was completely exposed by Hoilet's lack of application to defending for the Fulham goal, once Zamora was in the penalty area and with space, Givet was up against it with the slimmest of margins in stopping Zamora. What he and we needed was for Zamora to make the wrong decision, unfortunatley Zamora didnt and excecuted with a plomb.

Givet so far this season has had two or three excellent matches for us which I think only Paul Robinson can better from any other Rovers players.

Well maybe he was exhausted due to the lack of cover and switched off a bit first half, he was shaking his head because Holliet was doing nothing, constantly 2 on 1.

I thought he was really good second half against arsenal with Olsson, so I think that duo will be ok, Givet was making really good interceptions once he had some help.

He's a liability, both with and without the ball. Hopefully we can move him on in January and buy an out-and-out left back. He's on too much money to be back up to Samba and Dann, but that's the only useful purpose he serves right now.

Interesting, having seen all bar one of the early season games, i'd say that the players who were here before Kean became manager are better, bar the odd one, than the ones that have come in since Kean's been the manager.

Well maybe he was exhausted due to the lack of cover and switched off a bit first half, he was shaking his head because Holliet was doing nothing, constantly 2 on 1.

I thought he was really good second half against arsenal with Olsson, so I think that duo will be ok, Givet was making really good interceptions once he had some help.

Thought the Fulham game he did very little wrong though I can see how fans will think he should have done better for the Fulham goal but there is alot more to that Fulham goal than just Givets defending.

Agree though that Olsson should be playing in front of Givet or even Pedersen but not Rochina or Hoilet.

I thought he was really good second half against arsenal with Olsson

Really? He still lost the ball all the time and Walcott was in acres of space on several occassions. By comparison it was 'really good', but in isolation it was still awful.

Thought the Fulham game he did very little wrong though I can see how fans will think he should have done better for the Fulham goal but there is alot more to that Fulham goal than just Givets defending.

Duff tore him a new one for the entire half. His use of the ball was rubbish as well.

It's not really his fault since he's a centre half and not a full back. He's unfortunate to be left footed really, if he was right footed no-one would have bothered moving him to full back in his career. It doesn't alter the fact that he's useless at left back though.

Interesting, having seen all bar one of the early season games, i'd say that the players who were here before Kean became manager are better, bar the odd one, than the ones that have come in since Kean's been the manager.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here JAL - the player of the season so far has been one of Ince's! (Robbo). Doesn't make him a good manager though does it?

As long as they all blend into a team and fast I couldn't give a monkey's who signed them! Of the one's that have come in under Kean, Yak and Dann look like they'll do a good job for us, Simon and Rochina probably will, with the jury still out on the rest of them.

Duff tore him a new one for the entire half. His use of the ball was rubbish as well.

It's not really his fault since he's a centre half and not a full back. He's unfortunate to be left footed really, if he was right footed no-one would have bothered moving him to full back in his career. It doesn't alter the fact that he's useless at left back though.

Unfortunately for us due to the detailed planning and expertise ofStephen Kean and his team we've no one else capable of playing left back at premiership level.

I'll defend Givet, though I wont defend that Petrovic player just yet.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here JAL - the player of the season so far has been one of Ince's! (Robbo). Doesn't make him a good manager though does it?

As long as they all blend into a team and fast I couldn't give a monkey's who signed them! Of the one's that have come in under Kean, Yak and Dann look like they'll do a good job for us, Simon and Rochina probably will, with the jury still out on the rest of them.

Just cutting Givet a little bit a slack for a comment made by Chris, which kind of jumped out. Yes, certainly agree though with your train of thought on all of the players above darwenblueswearehere.

Just cutting Givet a little bit a slack for a comment made by Chris, which kind of jumped out. Yes, certainly agree though with your train of thought on all of the players above darwenblueswearehere.

Fair do's. I thought Givet was outstanding in the second half of both of the last two (league) games, and there isn't a centre half in the world who could play left back without defensive cover from his midfielders and not get badly exposed a time or two. That includes Phil Jones, John Terry and any other player you care to mention.

I'll defend Givet, though I wont defend that Petrovic player just yet.

The day Petrovic suddenly becomes a good PL player is going to be a great day, because I can't remember seeing a player before where I have thought "oh my god this guy is really bad".

I'm still giving Rochina, Formica time, I gave Jones and Jones time, I just can't imagine Petrovic adapting to the pace.

But I cant wait for him to turn it around and prove me wrong :D

The day Petrovic suddenly becomes a good PL player is going to be a great day, because I can't remember seeing a player before where I have thought "oh my god this guy is really bad".

I'm still giving Rochina, Formica time, I gave Jones and Jones time, I just can't imagine Petrovic adapting to the pace.

But I cant wait for him to turn it around and prove me wrong :D

You know you're right Chris. How many of your mates and fellow Rovers fans are saying similar things about Petrovic.

You know you're right Chris. How many of your mates and fellow Rovers fans are saying similar things about Petrovic.

1 word - Nani, look at how long he has taken to settle in England, How many people said he wasnt good enough, You cannot judge him on a few matches, he needs to fully settle in, he`s only been here a few weeks for gods sake

1 word - Nani, look at how long he has taken to settle in England, How many people said he wasnt good enough, You cannot judge him on a few matches, he needs to fully settle in, he`s only been here a few weeks for gods sake

Really good example man, Nani debut for Man U, everyone knew he's be a star:

You can see the potential in Formica, Rochina and Simon. I just have my doubts about Petrovic.

Nani's first goal two weeks into the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrCr2Mx4uk

Sadly missing my trip to Newcastle this year, but if anyone is umming and ahhing about going then I suggest go. Great day out, or weekend as it used to be for me.

Although I don't know Ozz, I echo every word of his comment. For me, it's the best away game of the season [usually because I can gloat to friends at full time about collecting our traditional three points! :D ].

Btw, I've been away for the last few days, so would just like to thank all for their generosity in the meantime in comments about all the players I, er, m1st ;) who played for both clubs - provided the Toon don't get relegated at the end of this season, I'd like to volunteer to do next year's preview of this game and DO BETTER!!! ^_^

If we can beat Arsenal, we can beat this mob.

Away from home? Tricky. And they're in good form.

I'd be more than happy with a point. Just hope Kean keeps the side disciplined and we can build some continuity to the team.

Away from home? Tricky. And they're in good form.

I'd be more than happy with a point. Just hope Kean keeps the side disciplined and we can build some continuity to the team.

I believe Arsenal have many players able to have a flash of brilliance and score against us, this Newcastle side are pretty ordinary in comparison. They were absolute dog turd against QPR when I watched them, I think their main strength is their physicality which is one thing I think we can cope against.

That's 44 words.

I believe Arsenal have many players able to have a flash of brilliance and score against us, this Newcastle side are pretty ordinary in comparison. They were absolute dog turd against QPR when I watched them, I think their main strength is their physicality which is one thing I think we can cope against.

Err what.. Physicality.. Rochina, Formica, Jnr, Olsson, Simon, Nzonzi.. we talking the same blackburn right?

Against QPR Parew was honest enough at the end of the match to openly say that he got it totally wrong tactically (would love our manager to say that once in a while when he gets it wrong).. they are a good team these days, Pardew is not a shiny play manager but he has built well from the back and added some good talent to the team.. at the end of the day for me they have more class throughout the side beyond defence (one of the most underrated in the league currently) in Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez, Lovenkrands, Best, Ba and Afra..

Strange to even be uttering these words but at the moment Newcastle are to me a more scary opposition than Arsenal.. their defence is pretty decent and they have the attacking talent and the strong experienced midfield that we lack.

Saying that still hope we win even if it means Kean staying.. this result is key to our season imo, if we start with the right formation and the right players we will get a result but if Kean does not play with cover for the fullbacks, sticks Yak on the bench or tries for yet another mix in midfield (compared to his best teams with two proper defense minded midfielders) then we are stuffed.

Jermaine Jones took a couple of months before becoming settled in the league. Petrovic will take time. Rochina, Olsson, Formica, Hoilett all took a while before they became up to standard.

I really don't understand how you can put Formica and Rochina in the same bracket as Hoilett/Olsson. The latter two have made it and would command big fees if they left us.

Formica and Rochina are a long way from the finished product and an impartial jury is still out on them. If every player were as good as Hoilett/Olsson we really would be top ten and better.

Just come across this article which says it better than I could:

http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=256460

Nice to recognise a few of the guys commenting below it!

Archived