BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Newcastle United, 24th September.

m1st

As someone with a number of long-standing [40 years +] friends who are members of the Toon Army, I always look forward to the game at St. James’ Park [to give it the shorter version of its current official name!] for a number of reasons: catching up with old friends over a pint or two before the game, including banter about what the result’s likely to be; and then, after the game, meeting up with them again when I celebrate our traditional collection of three points! Unfortunately, I’m working on Saturday afternoon so can’t make it this year.

Oh; and as a disabled fan, I’ve found the stewards at St James’ to be among the most helpful at any of the away grounds I’ve visited as they make sure I get to my seat in the Crow’s Nest at the Leazes End with its panoramic views over the city. I just wish they’d provide binoculars to give us a better view of the game!

HISTORY.

United was formed in 1892 and elected to Division 2 for the 1893-94 season. We first met them at the end of the 1897-98 season in what, in those days, were called “Test Matches” [home and away Play-offs] because we’d finished next to bottom of Division 1. Each of us won our home game, but we also had to play the team from Turf Moor [my computer’s programmed not to spell that name!], who beat us twice in the same competition. That meant we finished bottom of the group and faced relegation from Division 1. We were actually rescued from that fate by the team which had just beaten us twice [ye 19th Century Dingles!], who proposed that Division 1 should be expanded from 16 to 18 clubs and that Rovers and Newcastle United should fill those vacancies.

In the pre-World War 1 era, United won the League three times [compared with our two title wins] with another win in 1927, which was the season before we equalled Aston Villa’s then-record [which Newcastle also subsequently equalled], of 6 F.A. Cup wins. That run to Wembley in 1928 began with a 4-1 win over the Magpies at Ewood. We continued to meet in Division 1 until 1934, when United were relegated, a couple of seasons before our first relegation. United didn’t return to Division 1 until 1948, just as we were again relegated.

As a fan who’s got his first “Pensioner” season ticket, my first, VERY vague, memories of Newcastle United goes back to the early 1950s when they won the Cup three times in 5 years to equal our record: Blackpool [1951]; Arsenal [1952]; and Manchester City [1955] which led, so one of my Geordie friends told me, the “Sports Pink” report on the last of those triumphs having the headline BAM! However, they only got to the first of those three triumphs after a semi-final and replay against us.

We resumed League games against Newcastle United when Johnny Carey’s team returned to Division 1 in 1958. Our first match back in the top Division was played at St. James’ Park, and we won 5-0! We also won the home game 3-0 later in the season. We only played them for two more seasons as they were relegated to Division 2 in 1961, returning to the First Division in 1965, which was our last season in that Division for some time. While we were in Division 2, they won the old Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, predecessor of the UEFA Cup, in 1969. That was the last trophy they’ve won, apart from the Football League Division 1 [today’s Championship] in 1992/93.

While we yo-yoed between Divisions Two and Three in the 1970s and early 1980s, United stayed in Division One until 1978, when they were relegated to Division Two. We played them for one season, 1978/79, at the end of which we returned to Division Three for one season before Howard Kendall’s team returned to Division Two, where we played Newcastle until they were promoted in 1984. They remained there until 1989 when they returned to Division Two. We left them behind when we became founder-members of the Premier League in 1992 but, under Kevin Keegan’s management, they re-joined us the following season when, as noted above, they won the Football League’s Division One championship.

Our last game in the Premier League for a couple of years from 1999 was played at St. James Park; I remember us taking the lead [Jason Wilcox, if memory serves!] and the chant “One-Nil to the Nationwide” [the Football League’s sponsors at the time] ringing round St. James’ Park! Our League rivalry resumed a couple of seasons later and has continued ever since, with the exception of 2009/10, which they spent in Division One.

COMMON LINKS.

While there may have been links between the two clubs in earlier times, it was particularly in the early 1970s when it felt like there were no two clubs as closely linked as the Magpies and us, what with players and managers switching between the two clubs.

When Ken Furphy took over the reins at the newly-relegated [to Divison 3] Rovers, among the first players he brought in to strengthen the team were two from Newcastle: Benny Arentoft & John MacNamee. I remember getting on a bus on my way home from College one afternoon in 1971, and being greeted by chortles of laughter from one of my Geordie friends who couldn’t quite believe that someone had taken MacNamee off their hands! The following season they were joined by Kit Napier, who’d been signed by Newcastle from Workington but had failed to make the leap from the old Division 4 to Division 1. Furphy’s work was carried on by Gordon Lee in the mid-1970s; and after his team won promotion to Division 2 in 1975, Lee and Richard Dinnis, his “first team coach”, were recruited by Newcastle United as their managerial team. They took with them players such as our goalkeeper, “Sir” Roger Jones and Graeme Oates, the midfielder whom we’d recruited from Bradford City.

The links between our clubs continued in the 1990s when the centre-forward in our Premier League-winning team decided to move back to his home town only a couple of weeks before the start of the 1996/97 season, leaving us, the opinion of some fans [me included!], in the lurch. Some seasons later, after our relegation under Brian Kidd was confirmed, he was followed into St James’ Park by Kevin Gallacher, whom we’d recruited from Coventry City to fill the gap by Shearer’s injury in 1993.

Some other, more oblique, links between us include Alan Pardew, the current Newcastle manager and Graham Fenton.

Pardew was a mid-fielder in the Crystal Palace team which broke the hearts of those fans who travelled down to south London for the second leg of the two-legged Play-off Final at the end of the 1988/89 season. We had beaten Palace 3-1 at Ewood on a wet evening at the start of June 1989 and travelled down with hopes high that we’d be back in Division 1 at the end of second leg. Those hopes were cruelly broken by an atypical performance from the team on Saturday, 4 June 1989. We lost that game 0-3 and I don’t think I’ve ever had a longer journey home from a defeat, if you know what I mean. Mind you, that paved the way for that wonderful Bank Holiday Monday in 1992, when we beat Leicester City to take our place in the original Premier League. Which is, of course, where we remain; unlike Crystal Palace!

Graham Fenton, a son of Whitley Bay and childhood Toon fan, joined us from Aston Villa in 1995. His moment of glory [for us, anyway!] came when he came off the bench to score both goals in our 2-1 win at Newcastle in 1996. That victory derailed Newcastle’s challenge for the Premiership title that season. I don’t know whether this is an urban myth; but I heard that Fenton’s father was watching the match on TV at Whitley Bay golf club and, when his son’s second goal went in, had to make his excuses and leave!

Graham Fenton was Assistant Manager of Blyth Spartans when we played them in the F.A. Cup in 2009.

OPPONENTS’ OPINION.

I asked the following questions of two old friends who’ve been following the “Mags” [one is an “exile”, who now follows them via the internet and TV] since the early 1950s. You may think their answers reveal an attitude towards the regime at the sportsdirect.com@St. James’ Park, not unlike the feelings of many Rovers’ fans to our club’s ownership and management in the last 12 months or so. Also, their answers were sent before we demolished Arsenal!!

1] Given that we both have, shall we say, “controversial” owners, what are your current thoughts on where you’re going under Mike Ashley’s ownership?

V. Goin’ nowhere [like you]

M. The Sports Direct shop in the town where I live has had a permanent sale since it opened some years ago and it looks as though the Ashley sales technique will spill over into NUFC. Any promising player is up for sale at the right price if there's a quick buck to be made & our man will be there. Just one thing, though, with the type of players we are likely to buy, I fully expect Newcastle to become a feeder club for Gateshead.

2] And how do you rate Alan Pardew as a manager? [“Better than Joe Kinnear or Steve Kean”, is not an acceptable answer!]

V. A cockney manipulated by another cockney, but with more say in the dressing room (not like Nolan/Barton dominated Hughton).

M. He came out of nowhere and the feeling remains that he is a friend of the Hertfordshire tycoon. The farce over the so-called attempts to sign a striker and his statements during that period show to me that he is reading from an autocue.

3] I don’t think all the money you got for Andy Carroll has been re-invested in the squad, so how do you rate the business you’ve done in the last couple of transfer windows?

V. V. POOR but with no wasteful panic buying (oft seen at the Toon).

M. See 2 above and what is this Demba Ba all about? The positive might be Cabaye, who looks as though he can pass a ball without taking 3 touches and saying a decade of the rosary.

4] At the time of preparing this, you’re in one of the Champions’ League places :rolleyes: , but where do you think you’ll finish the season?

V. 12th.

M. 16th if we are lucky. 15th if Kean stays with you.

5] Which of your players should we see as a particular threat a week on Saturday; and what line-up can we expect?

V. No real threats but the Taylor/Collocini pairing should snuff out your lot!

6] We have a pretty good record at St. James’ over recent seasons; how [honestly!] do you see the match going?

V. Newcastle 1-0, Leon Best can perform on occasion.

M. I expect a pulsating game and a 0-0 score.

SATURDAY’S GAME.

Well, as a regular glass-half-full contributor to BRFCS who actually predicted an unexpected win against Arsenal, I fully expect us to win this game. We have a really good record there in recent seasons and given the way we took on Arsenal, I expect that we can see off the Toon. I just wish I wasn’t working and could go to the game.

I was impressed by the way the team played against Arsenal and believe we can carry that momentum into beating a less impressive side on paper. To set the discussion going, I’d like to see us field the following 11:

Robinson;

Lowe, Samba, Dann, Olsson;

Grella, Nzonzi;

Rochina, Formica, Hoilett;

Yakubu.

Subs: Bunn, Salgado, Givet, Petrovic, Vukcevic, Slew, Roberts.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent preview.

I think we are looking at a defeat or possibly a draw here. Newcastle are unbeaten so far this season and they will be a tough nut to crack on their home ground. I also haven't bought into the hype that some have about or performance at the weekend. If we play like we did this weekend a lot of teams will score on this team that looks like it doesn't have any balance in midfield whatsoever.

I really looking forward to this game. I am going to the game.

I reckon Rovers will win or get a draw which would be a good point. Newcastle are unbeaten with 2 wins and 3 draws.

My team for this game would be :- Robinson; Lowe, Dann, Samba©, Givet; Nzonzi, Grella; Formica, Hoilett, Olsson; Yakubu.

Subs:- Bunn, Hanley, Vukcevic, Petrovic, Rochina, Goodwillie, Roberts.

I reckon Rovers will win or get a draw which would be a good point. Newcastle are unbeaten with 2 wins and 3 draws.

My team for this game would be :- Robinson; Lowe, Dann, Samba©, Givet; Nzonzi, Grella; Formica, Hoilett, Olsson; Yakubu.

I think you are right (if Grella is fit enough).

Givet can perform a lot better with Olssen backing him and Olssen still has the energy to be an attracking threat, this "should" really secure the left.

Lowe at the right is early days, Kean might go for Salgado but hopefully not.

I see Formica starting and possibly coming off if he is still fading from games.

Big game - draw is a very good result, win would be excellent and really kick-start our season!

Im going to the game, then staying over and a night on the lash in Newcastle - cant wait!

If anyone still needs to sort train...look at alternatives from Blackburn. Blackburn > York (think it was) & then York > Newcastle was working out something like £60, compared to £100 return from Blackburn > Newcastle.

We are going from Todmorden > Newcastle - £40 return

Givet can perform a lot better with Olssen backing him and Olssen still has the energy to be an attracking threat, this "should" really secure the left.

I know we spoke about this a bit already, but...

Even with Givet and Olsson down the left we left shed loads of space on several occassions. Givet is a problem in his own right, regardless of who plays in front of him. His pass completion was below 50% on Saturday. He's a liability both with and without the ball. It was his mistake at Fulham too.

It's a tough decision because Olsson was excellent in midfield against Arsenal, but Givet is so poor right now that I think we have no choice but to play Olsson there.

Even with Givet and Olsson down the left we left shed loads of space on several occassions. Givet is a problem in his own right, regardless of who plays in front of him. His pass completion was below 50% on Saturday. He's a liability both with and without the ball. It was his mistake at Fulham too.

It's a tough decision because Olsson was excellent in midfield against Arsenal, but Givet is so poor right now that I think we have no choice but to play Olsson there.

Givet was shaking his head most the first half as he was two on one, Hollliet was not covering.

I agree that Givet not ideal based on form but Olseen did support him well I thought, plus Kean likes Givet so I'm not sure he will drop him based on the seond half protection down the left.

I think Givet left back and Olssen left wing will be enough.

In fairness to Givet, I think he's a good centre-half playing out of position at full back. Unlike Phil Jones and, based on Saturday's display, Jason Lowe for example, he may not be one of those players who can adapt to the requirements of different positions.

A few more common links (well players/managers/coaches who have been at both clubs)

Shay Given

David Batty

Darren Peacock

Kenny Dalglish

Terry Gennoe

Andy Cole

Damien Duff

Graeme Souness

Craig Bellamy

Sam Allardyce

Neil McDonald

Danny Simpson

Thanks, Wilsbowski.

As I said in slough_rover's preview of the Arsenal game, our early season form [?] meant that I was approaching the preparation of this preview with much less enthusiasm than previously and when my euphoria level increased [around 5.00 last Saturday], it was too late for me to start delving into my memory to come up with all those names.

Mea culpa. Will try harder next time! :blush:

Oh; and as a disabled fan, I've found the stewards at St James' to be among the most helpful at any of the away grounds I've visited as they make sure I get to my seat in the Crow's Nest at the Leazes End with its panoramic views over the city. I just wish they'd provide binoculars to give us a better view of the game!

I'm not disabled but always ask for the lift at St james. 8th floor, I'm just not fit enough now :(

Enjoyed the preview too :tu:

I would go:-

---------------------Robinson

-----Lowe---Samba----Dann----Givet

Rochina----Petrovic---Nzonzi----Olsson

----------------------Hoilett

----------------------Yakubu

Rochina and Olsson both track back quite well, and the free role for Hoilett will do him loads of good I think. Let him float around and hurt the barcodes on the counter. Petrovic has improved for me and deserves to start I think. There are no gurantees Grella will be fitter.

Need to keep it tight in this game and look to hurt them on the break with out pace (Hoilett and Olsson) and through set pieces (another reason for Rochina to be on the pitch as his delivery is excellent).

Good preview. Hope our luck against the geordies continues and we get a win on Sat. Im going up on the Aqueduct coach. Does anyone know what time they are setting off?

Also, anyone with an iPhone down load the footychantslive app.

I am working for those guys uploading the score and what Rovers fans are singing during the matches this season. Nice little earner for me and pays for all my games this season home & away.

FootyChantsLive

A few more common links (well players/managers/coaches who have been at both clubs)

Shay Given

David Batty

Darren Peacock

Kenny Dalglish

Terry Gennoe

Andy Cole

Damien Duff

Graeme Souness

Craig Bellamy

Sam Allardyce

Neil McDonald

Danny Simpson

Alan Shearer played for Newcastle for a spell didn't he? :P

Thanks, Wilsbowski.

As I said in slough_rover's preview of the Arsenal game, our early season form [?] meant that I was approaching the preparation of this preview with much less enthusiasm than previously and when my euphoria level increased [around 5.00 last Saturday], it was too late for me to start delving into my memory to come up with all those names.

Mea culpa. Will try harder next time! :blush:

No need to try harder, it's a very good preview :). I knew of those names as my family is originally from Newcastle.

I missed Keith Gillespie and Shefki Kuqi and no doubt more anyway.

Alan Shearer played for Newcastle for a spell didn't he? :P

You mean the Alan Shearer that M1st mentioned in his preview, hence the "some more" in my comment?

Err, Graham Fenton had his 15 minutes of Rovers fame at Ewood Park not away at Newcastle.

OMG; is my face :blush: ?

I'm sure you told me that last season too, Tyrone!

I remember now; I assumed it must have been played up there because I watched the game on Sky; the erstwhile Mrs m1st didn't approve of me going to midweek games when she might need the car [we didn't live in Blackburn], so I went to a neighbour who had Sky and watched the game there.

I'm not disabled but always ask for the lift at St james. 8th floor, I'm just not fit enough now :(

Enjoyed the preview too :tu:

Need to get you jogging with Preston Blue laugh.gif

Looking forward to this game. Junior I think will be key to this game as Newcastle have lost Enrique and as said in the preview, they do not have a real threat.

A draw would not be the end of the world. Draw your away games and win your home ones.

Archived