BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Newcastle United, 24th September.

m1st

Totally despondant - I really thought we would get a result at Newcastle. Getting beat is hardly a surprise given our away record over recent years (strangely Newcastle had been one of our few away successes) and the form they are in at the moment. What I struggle with is the manner of the defeat.

I can't say I am pro-Kean - but I do like lots of his ideas around promoting youth and building a team around more expansive football. However - expansive football is always built on a solid defence. The best team in the world is built around a team that attacks as a unit and defends as a unit - if he sees them as a template for the future we are a million miles away tactically (let alone player quality).

Kean should always be judged on results - and he now has to pull off a major shock by getting a draw or better against City. Anything less than that - and his previous record starts to build against him.

Rather than a pre-match protest - why aren't people talking about a post match one ? A sit in at Ewood Park would be an interesting idea - which would get media attention if sufficient took part. If we pull of an unexpected result - no protest - if (as I suspect) we get soundly beaten - the numbers could be significant. You never know - the city fans may join in out of sympathy ;)

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is a joke, we have all these players like Junior, Olsson, Simon, Rochina, Formica full of attacking talent but offering very little defensively and often trying to do all of the hard work on their own and not even attacking as a unit. Olsson is probably the most team orientated of them and I think there's always a spot for him on the left hand side, although he did seem to get frustrated and get himself sent off yesterday.

The idea seems to be that these players will keep a dominant possession game, putting the opposition under pressure with clever link up play and attacking movement. In reality all that seems to happen is that one of them gets the ball and runs like a headless chicken until they either lose it or misplace the pass due to lack of support.

Rochina possibly has the potential to be among the elite players in the game, but right now he'd stuggled in League 2 and needs to learn the basics like remembering you have team mates. Formica is struggling with the physical side of the game, keeps the ball momentarily before being hussled off the ball for the most part, people need to get within 10 yards of him to give him a simple option. Hoilett's biggest problem is he offers nothing defensively and again could really improve his decision making at times.

It's glaringly obvious to me that they need to stick Yakubu up front, or even Goodwillie, play Hoilett off them with Olson on the left and then build the rest of the midfield around being a strong unit, retaining possession, breaking up play, the likes of Formica, Rochina etc can be introduced later on if we need a goal, right now they are not strong/consistent enough to be playing from the start, especially away from home.

Meanwhile while all of this is going on with our 'attacking, possession keeping forward line' doing very little the back four and whichever poor sod is left in the middle of the park are being hung out to dry as they just can't cope with the numbers, people are getting dragged out of position all over the place and the space is being exploited, you simply can't do that as this level.

We're practically relying on N'Zonzi to be the main man in the middle of the park at the moment while he still has so much room to grow himself and while being quite a tidy player in terms of breaking up play and giving it simple, he's far from the finished article in that role and given the players in front of him doing very little he needs someone a lot more defensively minded/experienced along side him, not bloody Dunny or Lowe.

Then there's always the fact we don't even have a bloody left back at the club, Givet's been hung out to dry there and Hoilett has been largely to blame but in my opinion he's always been a center back who can do a job at left back, he's not the answer, and neither is Olsson who defensively lacks the positional sense.

Right now in my eyes I see the key points of the team being Robinson, Samba, Olsson, Hoilett, N'Zonzi possibly, other than that it just seems to be a lot of players with 'potential' or settling in to a new club and trying to get their own careers back on track before they are ready to be taking on a project of this magnitude, the rest of them Dann has looked okay but can't say I think we'd be any worse off if we had decided to actually buy a left back and moved Givet there with Nelsen ready to come in as well. Hard to know what to make of Yakubu, done nothing wrong but with the kind of striker he is he's not going to do anything in games that we can't even get the ball to him in the final third.

I've been going on about the full backs for ages.

We don't have one good enough so don't play any. Just a back 3 (we do have 3 centre backs and even Givet may be OK in that role) and 5 in midfield (2 defensive ones).

I don't think Kean knows what a clean sheet is.

So the fans should do nothing? I'd also like to know when you think this half decent result is coming?.. I think you may be waiting a while.

Those who stand by and do nothing should be ashamed of themselves and typifies the attitude of most people of this town. If there is to be another demonstration then i shall be there.... Again.

As I say, I admire yourself and all of the protestors. I just honestly don't think it makes a blind bit of difference though, because Venky's seem so hellbent on keeping Kean in his job. I really hope to be proved wrong, but I'm just becoming despondent with it all.

And I agree - looking at the fixtures I can't see where the next result is coming from. My comment was just that one positive result doesn't make Kean a good Manager yet many on here voted to give him more time post Arsenal. I know he's crap, you know he's crap, yet he's still in his job. It's infuriating.

Actually it's more worrying than that, this week he's been talking about being tighter in defence. There was a pre-match quote yesterday morning saying we have to be strong in defence.

So what we saw was Steve Kean's attempt to shape a defensively strong Rovers team. What a complete joke, and all the evidence needed (as if it was in doubt) that he's not up to the job. That was his 'Wigan away'. You could see what was going to happen from the minute Demba Ba was allowed to turn and run at the defence from the half way line, there wasn't a Rovers player within 20 yards of him.

Where was Givet for the second goal by the way? And why couldn't he jump for the third? I don't care how good Olsson is in midfield, he needs to go left back because Givet is costing us goals every single game. Defence is more important than midfield and Olsson is miles better than Givet at left back.

Don't agree with you that Ollson is a better left back than Givet. I can't remember Ollsen playing well there. Plus the fact he's brittle temprementally, he's awlways one tackle off a yellow/red card. Much more chance of it happening at full back.

Kean HAS to go to the drawing board and figure out how to get our shape right and be competitive in midfield. That means:-

1) Dropping Formica and moving Hoilett to second striker

2) Dropping Givet and moving Olsson to left back.

3) Play two of Rochina, Vukcevic and Pedersen on the wings - but selection based not on their attacking qualities but rather who can hold the shape and defend the best

4) Looking to see if there is anyone more solid we can play at right back - Riberio? Lowe? Dann? Hanley? Henley?

5) Find some sort of effective solution to central midfield. Not a passing player, just someone who can break up the play and be aggressive. Sadly it just downs't seem like we have a player like that but it is VITAL to turn someone up. Something as drastic as playing GIvet at centreback and moving one of Nelsen/Dann/Samba in midfield in front of the back four could mildly improve things. We are so poor on this front.

Its backs against the wall time!

I've already commented on the Ollsen/Givet issue. Ollson's not a full back.

Bringing Pedersen back ? What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different outcome ?

What was Ribeiro signed for if he's not able to step in ? Dann's nowhere near ready enough at this level, positionally he's as green as grass.

None of the three you name has what it takes to play the midfield sweeoer role, Nelsen and Samba are not mobile enough and Lowe is too raw.

Well, although I prepared the preview [anybody want a better one for the Carling Cup game?^_^], I wasn't at the game [working; and, when I switched my phone back on after work, texts from various mates from the "Hotbed of Soccer"© let me know how we'd done].

From what I saw on the repeat on MotD this morning [i couldn't face it last night], our defensive organization is desperate; the full-backs are woeful. Plus, I remember Gordon Lee saying in 1970-something that, what he needed to do was to do was have a "spine" [Keeper; Centre-half (-halves?); centre-forward: excuse the old-fashioned terminology!] to the team.

It feels nowadays that we're weak at full-back and in midfield so that our centre-halves and goal-keeper are being over-run. And that, accepting that the game has altered since the 1970s, there's no "spine" to our team.

If we can all see this, then why can the man who's being paid a minimum of £400,000 to take the decisions do so also? As a glass-half-full fan, I'd always been someone who's been prepared to give Kean another chance; but I'm afraid [no, I'm not; why would I be afraid to use that word?] Kean's time must surely be up very soon if we're not to go down.

Earlier this evening, I had an e-mail fom one of the "Magpie" mates who helped me by answering questions for the preview - in reply, I commented that, in the 40+ years that we'd known each other, I never remember feeling lower about our prospects. I'll always be a Rover; but I must say that Kean's management [?] is making it more difficult for me to be so. Living away from the town [every game's an away game], growing older and no longer driving, it's becoming harder to get to games. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the effort if it's just to see a team taken apart by the opposition.

Samba slams poor Rovers performance against the Toon

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-Rovers-captain-Chris-Samba-slams-poor-Newcastle-performance-article804280.html#ixzz1Z0IJGc7t

I totally agree with Samba. I'm really pleased with Samba coming out and being honest to the fans. good on him!!!

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-Rovers-captain-Chris-Samba-slams-poor-Newcastle-performance-article804280.html#ixzz1Z0IJGc7t

I totally agree with Samba. I'm really pleased with Samba coming out and being honest to the fans. good on him!!!

Means absolutely nothing.

chaddyrovers, on 25 September 2011 - 23:55 PM, said:Samba slams poor Rovers performance against the Toon

Read more: http://www.mirrorfoo...l#ixzz1Z0IJGc7t

Means absolutely nothing.

Actually, it means that players are questioning the preparation and tactics of the clown in charge ( I refuse to call him a manager)

chaddyrovers, on 25 September 2011 - 23:55 PM, said:Samba slams poor Rovers performance against the Toon

Read more: http://www.mirrorfoo...l#ixzz1Z0IJGc7t

Actually, it means that players are questioning the preparation and tactics of the clown in charge ( I refuse to call him a manager)

Thats just it though, how can they go from that great second half against Arsenal and the buzz the victory created to that shoite in the space of a week, their tails should have been up and there should have been a togetherness at least ! :angry2:

I'd go for Samba questioning fellow team mates Yoda.

I will say He is questioning the manager tactics and some of his team mates.

Kean hasn't set the team up defensivly correct all season long. But he doesn't learn from his mistakes. We had been shocking all season defensivly haven't kept a clean sheet all season not even against Sheff Wed and Leyton O in the cup.

I will say He is questioning the manager tactics and some of his team mates.

Kean hasn't set the team up defensivly correct all season long. But he doesn't learn from his mistakes. We had been shocking all season defensivly haven't kept a clean sheet all season not even against Sheff Wed and Leyton O in the cup.

I'll backtrack on saying that it means nothing what Samba says, as this could be the first indirect or discrete shout at Kean publicly by the clubs captain then again that could be wishful thinking on my part.

As I say, I admire yourself and all of the protestors. I just honestly don't think it makes a blind bit of difference though, because Venky's seem so hellbent on keeping Kean in his job. I really hope to be proved wrong, but I'm just becoming despondent with it all.

And I agree - looking at the fixtures I can't see where the next result is coming from. My comment was just that one positive result doesn't make Kean a good Manager yet many on here voted to give him more time post Arsenal. I know he's crap, you know he's crap, yet he's still in his job. It's infuriating.

Protests have to occur (unfortunately) as to bully the owners into making a decision or at least force those powers that be to give answers... If they choose not to listen then surely they are digging their own financial grave? Fans will inevitebly stop going, which will obviously mean no BRFC.

The situation is (as you say) Infuriating, frustrating but above all confusing... Why? When having spent millions to buy a premier league club, not at all protect your investment and employ someone more qualified? They could have done all they can to employ Hughes, spent half of what they did in the summer transfer window and we would of finished in the top half. It's surreal! There must be underlining reasons why this person still has a job yet none of us can grasp what they might be. Our owners really are a strange bunch.

Steve Kean.... Delusional, Deluded.... Doughnut.

Samba has come out and said Rovers were very poor on saturday v newcastle. Article in the mirror today. This is different than what Kean has said. Samba has said we need to improve all over the pitch. Is this a sign of Kean losing the dressing room. We already know he lost the plot ages ago as well as the supporters. Forget this 1% garbage, we all know it is more than that.

Another protest and I believe Kean is gone.

If I had seen this post before I would not have done my own. I believe that this is a sign that Kean is losing the dressing room. Samba has just given Kean and the players a kick up the backside. Pity the owners don't kick Kean out the club.

This isn't the first time Samba has spoken out. We heard he did the same v blackpool, hence the second half performance. Maybe he wants to be a player manager (joke by the way - but there again :rock: )

Archived