BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Newcastle United, 24th September.

m1st

I really don't understand how you can put Formica and Rochina in the same bracket as Hoilett/Olsson. The latter two have made it and would command big fees if they left us.

Formica and Rochina are a long way from the finished product and an impartial jury is still out on them. If every player were as good as Hoilett/Olsson we really would be top ten and better.

I think his point is that they all required time. Rochina and Formica only turned up at Rovers in January. Hoilett and Olsson broke the squad eighteen months before that so have had much more time to develop. Petrovic should be afforded the same by that logic.

That said we desperately need Petrovic to make waves very very soon. Rochina and Formica can take their time mainly because they have Hoilett and Olsson (not to mention the recently signed CL regular Vukcevic) with more experience and pedigree knocking about. Petrovic on the other hand is playing in a poisition where no one looks that convincing. Nzonzi is up and down formwise and no leader. Dunn, Pedersen and Grella all are struggling with form, fitness and effectiveness in a deeper role. On top of that in terms of team structure central midfield is a much more important positon than wing or second striker.

It's hard for the guy but we are really depending on him. Maybe that's why he looks so nervous.....?

Bottom line is if we had signed Jermaine Jones or another similarly talented and qualified central midfield player (perhaps in the place of the excellent yet not really neccessary Vukcevic) we would be in a much better position now. Such a shame it didn't happen.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i saw him and thought he was very good. he improves rovers (defensively) and ive always thought he is useful in possession. never panics.

if only we could guarantee his fitness :( we'd have a perfect anchorman!

Sorry but I fail to see how you could have watched him and formed this opinion? Shocking distribution the other night as always, slow, can't keep up with play or track runners. Fouls due to being badly positioned.

Glad somebody else noticed that he wouldn't take the ball off the centre halves but my impression was they didn't want to give him the ball after he repeatedly given it away or thumped it chin height in someone's general direction.

Grella is not the answer and as I said on another topic I watched him playing for aus for four years when I lived over there and could have cried when I heard we'd signed him. Don't let the fact we paid 4 mil for him fool you into thinking he's a top player who's just been unlucky with injuries and could come good. He's shockingly bad and one of the worse signings the club has ever made.

The day Petrovic suddenly becomes a good PL player is going to be a great day, because I can't remember seeing a player before where I have thought "oh my god this guy is really bad".

I'm still giving Rochina, Formica time, I gave Jones and Jones time, I just can't imagine Petrovic adapting to the pace.

But I cant wait for him to turn it around and prove me wrong :D

I can. I thought JJ's first few matches last season were terrible. But then he got into his stride and come good.

Olsson took a couple of seasons to come good. Pedersen was red hot in his first two years and now look at where he's at. Petrovic has had 3/4 appearances. Too soon to judge.

That's my point!--they might all come good in 2 seasons but will we still be in the Premier League because they are not good enough NOW?

That's my criticism of Kean's transfer policy in a nutshell.

That's my criticism of Kean's transfer policy in a nutshell.

With the addition of Dann and Yakubu on deadline day, I think we addressed the issue of experience very well.

The only position we are sadly lacking a quality, experienced player is in central midfield. Petrovic is nowhere near the standard of Jermaine Jones and N'Zonzi really suffers when he doesn't have an experienced partner alongside him. For some reason he only seems to blossom with the right partner(s).

A much bigger effort should have been made to find a central midfielder. Despite having one of the best centre-back/goalkeeper combinations outside the big four, we haven't kept a clean sheet yet this season. That tells you a lot about what's going on around them.

True, if making an initial judgement, Kean's signings have been pretty decent (said it during the summer window too) - Dann can just come in and settle straight away. Yakubu, if he can stay fit and hungry (no pun) will cause teams problems.

Obviously, need to give more time to properly judge some of the others.

Also, we are seeing more of Rochina/Formica, both of whom were not involved much last season.

Us conceding goals has been largely down to our full backs. We are inexperienced at centre mid but I dont think its fair to judge Petrovic just yet. Jermaine Jones was poor for the first month or so when he joined and considering how young Petrovic is I think we should give him more time.

Personally dont feel it is the full backs fault 100% as lack of cover for them contributes.

I agree about giving petrovic more time - however my concern is his pace - even in his early games you could see jones had good pace.

• Backroom

Tough tough game, a point would be fantastic, a win unbelievable.

They are a solid team and it's a tough place to go.

I'm expecting a 2-0 loss and people to go mad again asking Glen to sort the protests.

Normally a loss wouldnt be drastic but we shot ourselves in the foot with the poor start, if only we could take penalties things would look a lot rosier at present.

Personally dont feel it is the full backs fault 100% as lack of cover for them contributes.

Kean made a point on Radio Lancs that the "offensive players" were not doing enough tracking back.

It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement on Saturday.

Guest Rovers4Good

The team for tomorrow barring any injuries will be:

GK Robinson

RB Salgado

CB Danns

CB Samba

LB Givet

RW Hoilett

CM Nzonzi

CM Lowe

LW Olssen

CF Yakubu

CF Formica

:)

No Rochina?

With Pedersen and Dunny possibly being fit what are the chances of them coming back into the side and thus weakening our side further?

IF that is the side - it looks as though he has gone for the better defensive capabilities of Olsson (which you can't argue with). Though personally I would play Rochina rather than Formica.

Hum, I don't really understand why Hoilett isn't moved to the free role? He has less defensive responsibility there and to be honest Formica just doesn't look that effective. Rochina showed excellent delivery from set pieces against Arsenal, and tracked back well. He also scores goals.... Couldn;t he take up a berth on right wing?

I have to say I am a bit suriprised.

Team looks good offensively and the back four is decent. However weak in midfield and down the right defensively. Lowe is going to have to have a cracker.

Guest Rovers4Good

Hum, I don't really understand why Hoilett isn't moved to the free role? He has less defensive responsibility there and to be honest Formica just doesn't look that effective. Rochina showed excellent delivery from set pieces against Arsenal, and tracked back well. He also scores goals.... Couldn;t he take up a berth on right wing?

I have to say I am a bit suriprised.

Team looks good offensively and the back four is decent. However weak in midfield and down the right defensively. Lowe is going to have to have a cracker.

You say that the back 4 is decent? Well i have to disagree sorry i think Givet doesn't look interested and Salgado looks like he's on a conveyor belt :(

The team for tomorrow barring any injuries will be:

GK Robinson

RB Salgado

CB Danns

CB Samba

LB Givet

RW Hoilett

CM Nzonzi

CM Lowe

LW Olssen

CF Yakubu

CF Formica

:)

Won't it be more...

GK Robinson

RB Salgado

CB Dann

CB Samba

LB Givet

DM Nzonzi

DM Lowe

RW Hoilett

LW Olsson

AM Formica

CF Yakubu

Subtle difference but looks a bit more sturdy...

How do you know this anyway?!

Archived