BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Newcastle United, 24th September.

m1st

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few more common links (well players/managers/coaches who have been at both clubs)

Shay Given

David Batty

Darren Peacock

Kenny Dalglish

Terry Gennoe

Andy Cole

Damien Duff

Graeme Souness

Craig Bellamy

Sam Allardyce

Neil McDonald

Danny Simpson

And not forgetting one of our former stalwarts, Glenn (killer) Keeley...............

And come to think of it, his long term partner in crime Derek Fazackerly was assistant to Kevin Keegan at the cartoon army........

Just thought I'd say that was a fantastic preview, m1st! Hoping for another 3 points, but sadly expecting a loss. Knowing Kean he will start the Yak on the bench (scored against Arsenal), Olsson on the bench (set up the fourth goal), Lowe on the bench (played a blinder against Arse) and start with Salgado, Gamst and Dunn. Once again...hope I'm wrong and that Rovers will get a point somehow.

Don't play Rochina and Formica in the same line-up, do start with Olsson wide left, Put someone else in mid-field who can back-track and protect Salgado or Lowe or whoever plays right-back. Play the Yak up front with Hoilett behind him and play the extra mid-fielder.

And given our record there (we've got points with worse squads) I'm then very hopeful about a positive result!

Don't play Rochina and Formica in the same line-up, do start with Olsson wide left, Put someone else in mid-field who can back-track and protect Salgado or Lowe or whoever plays right-back. Play the Yak up front with Hoilett behind him and play the extra mid-fielder.

And given our record there (we've got points with worse squads) I'm then very hopeful about a positive result!

I'd agree with this. Who would the midfielder be? Lowe? I'd have said Grella but I'm unsure how sharp he'd be after a full 90 minutes midweek.

I'd play Salgado if fit though. Lowe is not a right back.

I'd agree with this. Who would the midfielder be? Lowe? I'd have said Grella but I'm unsure how sharp he'd be after a full 90 minutes midweek.

I'd play Salgado if fit though. Lowe is not a right back.

Lowe probably on the basis that I can't think of anyone else! Dunn and Peds would be in contention if fit. I know people have a lot of issues with Pedersen but he does put a shift in.

Grella maybe?

47er, braddock - I am thinking along the same lines. Grella looked promising before his injury nightmares but I worry that he has become too slow. When last he played for the Aussies he made some horrendous tackles.......he has become a bit of a liability from this point of view - done for pace I reckon. Seems he had a bit of a mixed outing on Tuesday. Did you see him?

• Backroom

Good preview.

To be honest I think this is the type of game we can win. We always do well at St James' and as far as Rovers go I'd rather play a team in good form than bad form - 9/10 we're the team that gives a struggling opponent a win. Newcastle have to lose a match at some point and I'm hoping we'll be the ones to do it.

Head: 2-1 Newcastle

Heart: 1-0 Rovers, a late header from Samba via a set piece.

47er, braddock - I am thinking along the same lines. Grella looked promising before his injury nightmares but I worry that he has become too slow. When last he played for the Aussies he made some horrendous tackles.......he has become a bit of a liability from this point of view - done for pace I reckon. Seems he had a bit of a mixed outing on Tuesday. Did you see him?

i saw him and thought he was very good. he improves rovers (defensively) and ive always thought he is useful in possession. never panics.

if only we could guarantee his fitness :( we'd have a perfect anchorman!

i saw him and thought he was very good. he improves rovers (defensively) and ive always thought he is useful in possession. never panics.

Not perfect because he commits too many fouls and is too slow. But he is tough and every team needs one.

I'd certainly like to see Grella start or at least come on to get his obligatory yellow card and break down the play.

Also, I have it on good authority that Rovers will win. Been good there the last few seasons.

Are we talking about the same Vince Grella? His passes are so poor they look like clearences. Every ball against Orient the other night was played at throat level. He never shows for the ball. The other night he refused to take a pass from Hanley or Givet and when they tried to pass to him he just pointed up field and poor Hanley had no other option but to smash the ball up field. He is not good enough. I can't remember a single good game of his. I hope Kean persists with Petrovic.

Have a good record away at St James recently so here's hoping it continues. Newcastle unbeaten so far but not convincing yet.

Exaclt Philipl knows his history a place we have been to a few times needing results.

I'm not going to comment on a result but I'll go for this team:

Robbo

Salgado*/Lowe Dann Samba Givet

Nonzi Dunn*/Grella

Holliet Formica Olsson

Yakubu

This is the team I think he will play and probably the strongest team anyway.

With Olsson on I fancy the left to be very solid, yes Givet looks unfit and making mistakes, but a lot as Olssen covers the second man, Givet might be able to keep concertration enough to stay solid.

Lowe was poor midweek, so Kean might go back to Salgado, I fear having Rochina infront, hopefully a def midfield can help out.

I'm expecting Formica to be quiet and he will be replaced, there are not many better options.

You seem to have completely forgotten about Hoilett there Chris?

I'd have him instead of Formica, and Lowe + Dunn where you've put two players for a position.

And it's Olsson!

blimey yeah Holliet for Rochina then.

I thought Dunn did ok in that role against Fulham, probably our best player, I think he might try him again, no point in playing Petrovic, otherwsie Grella who I have not seen play for ages, must be slow and unfit.

And I think he will start Salgado but if he is not fit Lowe.

Exaclt Philipl knows his history a place we have been to a few times needing results.

I'm not going to comment on a result but I'll go for this team:

Robbo

Salgado*/Lowe Dann Samba Givet

Nonzi Vukcevic

Holliet Rochina Olsson

Yakubu

This is the team I think he will play and probably the strongest team anyway.

With Olsson on I fancy the left to be very solid, yes Givet looks unfit and making mistakes, but a lot as Olssen covers the second man, Givet might be able to keep concertration enough to stay solid.

Lowe was poor midweek, so Kean might go back to Salgado, I fear having Rochina infront, hopefully a def midfield can help out.

I'm expecting Formica to be quiet and he will be replaced, there are not many better options.

Chris how do you come to Givet looking unfit and making mistakes ?

Want to start seeing Keans Rovers,

1. passing the ball better with far greater accuracy.

2. finishing to be far more clinical, less chances required to score a goal.

3. finally the team to defend far better as a whole, than they have been doing.

Come on Kean !............................its a simple game :glare:

Chris how do you come to Givet looking unfit and making mistakes ?

Being made to look like an old man against Duff? The soft tackle on Zamora that led to a goal? The disaster against Arsenal (It was not all Hoilett's fault)? The <50% pass completion rate in the same game (Lowe managed 89%)?

He's a liability, both with and without the ball. Hopefully we can move him on in January and buy an out-and-out left back. He's on too much money to be back up to Samba and Dann, but that's the only useful purpose he serves right now.

Archived