BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poppy ban overturned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15666769.stm

I am so humbled by FIFA's and presumably Blatter's generosity in allowing England and Wales to have a poppy sewn onto their sleeves. It's caused and awful lot of upset and David Cameron and HRH Prince William have been prompted to condemn FIFA's intransigent attitude. Thank heaven they have condescended and will now allow the poppies to be worn and hopefully with the pride they deserve. I think I'll write a thank you letter.

Alternatively... It serves us right for even asking that bloody shower and the conniving bent little ###### that runs them. Will we never learn to just get on with things without bothering about other nations? Surely we know by now that given half a chance there is always some Godforesaken fly blown nation that will object to anything and everything we do. The day we have to bow and scrape to Johnny Foreigner for such 'priveleges' in commemorating our war dead will be a dark day indeed.

Is it just me that suspects that the only reason Blatter backpedalled is when the German Football authorities entered the fray in backing us up?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Common sense prevails, but this should never have been an issue in the first place. The whole fiasco is barmy, and sums FIFA up as the inadequete and shambolic organisation it is (as if further proof was needed).

For me they had made the right decision in the first place. Keep politics and religion out of football-what happens now if the Iranian team decide to wear something to honour the 'martyred Palestinian dead' from the 'decadent Zionist regime'? This poppy issue (on shirts) has never been an issue before now-so why has it become one now?

Dont get me wrong, I wear a poppy because I choose to, but don't like this 'forcing the poppy down our necks' culture that has appeared in the last few years or so (wearing it in late oct etc)

For me they had made the right decision in the first place. Keep politics and religion out of football-what happens now if the Iranian team decide to wear something to honour the 'martyred Palestinian dead' from the 'decadent Zionist regime'?

I think wearing a poppy is accepted to only have a very remote link to religion and politics. Also it seems that footballers wear black armbands and clubs hold a minutes silence nowadays if the bloody club cat dies.

For me they had made the right decision in the first place. Keep politics and religion out of football-what happens now if the Iranian team decide to wear something to honour the 'martyred Palestinian dead' from the 'decadent Zionist regime'? This poppy issue (on shirts) has never been an issue before now-so why has it become one now?

Dont get me wrong, I wear a poppy because I choose to, but don't like this 'forcing the poppy down our necks' culture that has appeared in the last few years or so (wearing it in late oct etc)

I agree with this personally. I fully support the poppy, and it is great to have the tradgedy of war kept fesh in peoples minds. But to be honest do we want international football to become a platform for these sorts of things?

It would be quite legitimate, in the context of the poppy, to have armbands for the rememberence of those killed at Horishima, or those killed in the holocaust, or those killed the Opium Wars, or those killed in September the 11th or the Vietnam war or Korea. The list is endless.

"This will be the 37th time ENG have played between Nov 1 and Nov 15 since 1918. In 93 years, they've never felt the need for a poppy."

Why are you all so concerned now?

Not being led by the media are we?

The poppy is worn in remembrance. For the vast bulk of time since 1918, wearing a poppy was not needed as you had the survivors of that war walking the streets, telling their stories, reliving the memories of those who fell.

That generation is gone now. It is appropriate that their descendants remind each other of their ancestors' sacrifices. Hence, the wearing of the poppy.

The poppy is worn in remembrance. For the vast bulk of time since 1918, wearing a poppy was not needed as you had the survivors of that war walking the streets, telling their stories, reliving the memories of those who fell.

That generation is gone now. It is appropriate that their descendants remind each other of their ancestors' sacrifices. Hence, the wearing of the poppy.

Not in 2005 though?

Did we not care then? I don't want to get into a disagreement about it. I'm wearing a poppy now. I just think its odd how we have suddenly decided we need to wear one and not wearing one on the England kit is a massive issue.

The director of the British legion said exactly the same.

Don't think FIFA should have over turned this ban for two reasons....

1) Whilst respecting war dead is a noble thing and perfectly fine to do within the borders of that country, one man's soldier is another man's terrorist or invader. It's easy to see poppies and think of WW2 and not even the Germans would have an issue with people that fought the Nazis but what about more controvesial conflicts like the Falklands for example? You only have to look at a map to see why the Argentines feel the 'Malvinas' (as they call them) should belong to them and if we were playing them in a friendly should they be expected to put up with our players openly respecting the people that killed theirs?

2) A more general point but I'm sick of rich, celebrities having all the time and gumption in the world to DO something for the cause but they don't seem as forthcoming to actually GIVE any money. Instead of going mental over this issue, the FA and the players should have instead made a large (1 weeks wages per player) donation to the British Legion which would have actually done something past just the symbolic gesture they've managed to orchastate.

Not in 2005 though?

Did we not care then? I don't want to get into a disagreement about it. I'm wearing a poppy now. I just think its odd how we have suddenly decided we need to wear one and not wearing one on the England kit is a massive issue.

The director of the British legion said exactly the same.

You wear a Poppy because you remember and care for all nations in all wars. And I mean in all wars.

I don't know the history all that well of wearing the poppy, it seems more popular in the last few years, I mean why does this come up now??

But from what I know, it's more connected to World War I, the Great War though of course, it pertains to all wars now. Their was a poem written and it seems as an object to commemorate the brave, it took off from that poem "Field of Flanders" which you can read here.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

Again, I'm no historian!

And some good points brought up here.

I don't wear a poppy, because of how the rich and powerful, and the armed forcers, use it to support their version of history and to gather support for modern wars.

Those who dies in WW1 were victims of a stupid war of powers fighting over commerce and land and using ordinary people as chess pieces. WW2 was different and a fight we had no choice in, to fight fascism when of course sections of the royal family, the ruling elites and big business wanted to cut a deal with Hitler. Since then we've been involved by and large in pointless wars in which working class lads die and leave families and friends behind.

In recent times the poppy has become a symbol of the armed forces not the dead who fought worthy casues, and the two are not the same.

And wait 'til some lunatic leader forces his football team to wear a nationalist or xenophobic symbol and points to the poppy.

You wear a Poppy because you remember and care for all nations in all wars. And I mean in all wars.

I agree. I do wear it for that reason, but other countries may not appreciate the British Royal Legion and I don't know why it has to be brought into sport.

Also, Pauls last paragraph is entirely relevant. We have just set a dangerous precedent.

I don't wear a poppy, because of how the rich and powerful, and the armed forcers, use it to support their version of history and to gather support for modern wars.

Those who dies in WW1 were victims of a stupid war of powers fighting over commerce and land and using ordinary people as chess pieces. WW2 was different and a fight we had no choice in, to fight fascism when of course sections of the royal family, the ruling elites and big business wanted to cut a deal with Hitler. Since then we've been involved by and large in pointless wars in which working class lads die and leave families and friends behind.

In recent times the poppy has become a symbol of the armed forces not the dead who fought worthy casues, and the two are not the same.

And wait 'til some lunatic leader forces his football team to wear a nationalist or xenophobic symbol and points to the poppy.

Poppies represent those that lost their lives or were horrifically injured thats all. To refuse to recognise the hoorrors of WW1 and even the dead of your favourite anti facist war WW2 shows you up for what you are. If you are so principled then don't sit on your arse cherry picking goodies from the capitalist vine just give the deeds to your house and your posessions to the nearest Big Issue seller and then go and sit on the steps of St Pauls or camp out outside the Palace of Westminster for the rest of your days.

Archived