BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 10 Years Ago today

10 years Ago to this very day, I sat in the milenium stadium watching our beloved Rovers lift the Worthington cup. How times have changed. I dont know how some of you feel but I thought it would be appropiate to create this thread for today for us to reflect on what was a special day and a day I myself will never forget.

There is 1 man in particular who I feel does deserve some credit for his time at Rovers, that man is Graeme Souness. To me it feels as if his time at Ewood was more over shadowed by his departure to newcastle rather than what he did achieve at the club. For me our 2nd best manager since King Kenny. This is a man that took us back to the big time and helped us lift the worthington cup 10 years ago today and took us into europe and kept us up. With the situation Rovers find themselves in todays game I only find it right that we reflect on what was a special day for the club 10 years ago.

There is 1 man in particular who I feel does deserve some credit for his time at Rovers, that man is Graeme Souness. To me it feels as if his time at Ewood was more over shadowed by his departure to newcastle rather than what he did achieve at the club. For me our 2nd best manager since King Kenny. This is a man that took us back to the big time and helped us lift the worthington cup 10 years ago today and took us into europe and kept us up.

If Souness had left during the summer after we had won the Worthy Cup I'd have agreed. He stayed a couple of seasons too long in the ened and events during those two years will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Love Souness. For better or worse, he doesn't take prisoners, and he was EXACTLY what Rovers needed at the time he came in. We owe a lot to what he did for this club in the last decade or so. Yeah, he lost the plot towards the end but you can't take away the memories of promotion, Euro qualification and of course the cup win. Not to mention the calibre of player he brought to Ewood (Friedel, Neill, Berg, Tugay, Berkovic, Cole, Sukur, Grabbi), as well as the young players who fulfilled their potential under him. Good times...

Souness had 3 fantastic seasons at Rovers and one bad one. I always thought he was a good manager. The usual vitriol from the usual Rovers fans that saw him off was as ridiculous as it was unjustified. Some people can't help the knee jerk reaction though and it often takes 5-10 years before sanity prevails. Thankfully Souness is finally starting to be remembered with the admiration he deserves, much like Shearer in that sense.

probably my best day as a rovers supporter, end off.

Souness had 3 fantastic seasons at Rovers and one bad one. I always thought he was a good manager. The usual vitriol from the usual Rovers fans that saw him off was as ridiculous as it was unjustified. Some people can't help the knee jerk reaction though and it often takes 5-10 years before sanity prevails. Thankfully Souness is finally starting to be remembered with the admiration he deserves, much like Shearer in that sense.

i think souness just lost the dressing room, his tactics had become way to predictable(and his ego had become very inflated), but yes 3 Great seasons though(and on a modest budget), also his training methods where famously out dated.

also i was suprised(pleasently) about the amount of rovers fans tha came out of the woodwork to attend that game, im sure there was 40000+ at the game(and there would have been hell of a lot that couldnt make it down for the game).

also thought the millenium stadium was a great venue for the league cup(allthough the toilet situation was messy to say the least!!!)

also i was suprised(pleasently) about the amount of rovers fans tha came out of the woodwork to attend that game, im sure there was 40000+ at the game(and there would have been hell of a lot that couldnt make it down for the game).

also thought the millenium stadium was a great venue for the league cup(allthough the toilet situation was messy to say the least!!!)

Wasn't it around 31000 official Blues there? Though I suppose there could have been more in the boxes, sponsor sections etc.

Great trip, surrounded by crowing Tottenham fans in the pubs around the ground pre match... they soon cleared off at full time.

Brilliant day, my sons (who were 7 and 8 at the time) still talk about it. Fantastic performance, massive underdogs, no one gave us a chance. Only negatives, it was freezing where we were sat and the traffic jam getting away afterwards, but that's a price I'd willingly pay for memories such as these.

Great day, I was only 11 years old and I can remember pretty much everything about that weekend, even reading the magazine 'SHOOT' on the way down in the car.. with free Jermain Defoe kick it where you want it stickers :blush:. And meeting some nice Spurs fans in the Italian restaurant across the road after the game

Great trip, surrounded by crowing Tottenham fans in the pubs around the ground pre match ... they soon cleared off at full time.

One of my best memories was of being stuck in the coach on the M4 between Cardiff & Newport after the game, listening to them whingeing on "6-0-6" about how we hadn't rolled over like they expected us to.

Happy days; when will we ever see their like? Not in my lifetime, I fear. :angry2:

Btw, ruggles; thanks for creating this thread.

10 years Ago to this very day, I sat in the milenium stadium watching our beloved Rovers lift the Worthington cup. How times have changed. I dont know how some of you feel but I thought it would be appropiate to create this thread for today for us to reflect on what was a special day and a day I myself will never forget.

There is 1 man in particular who I feel does deserve some credit for his time at Rovers, that man is Graeme Souness. To me it feels as if his time at Ewood was more over shadowed by his departure to newcastle rather than what he did achieve at the club. For me our 2nd best manager since King Kenny. This is a man that took us back to the big time and helped us lift the worthington cup 10 years ago today and took us into europe and kept us up. With the situation Rovers find themselves in todays game I only find it right that we reflect on what was a special day for the club 10 years ago.

What makes me sadder is that back then we had Duff, Dunn and Jansen who were the best young players in the country...a year or so later they were effectively all gone.

Love Souness. For better or worse, he doesn't take prisoners, and he was EXACTLY what Rovers needed at the time he came in. We owe a lot to what he did for this club in the last decade or so. Yeah, he lost the plot towards the end but you can't take away the memories of promotion, Euro qualification and of course the cup win. Not to mention the calibre of player he brought to Ewood (Friedel, Neill, Berg, Tugay, Berkovic, Cole, Sukur, Grabbi), as well as the young players who fulfilled their potential under him. Good times...

Berkovic was awesome for us, really helped in that final push for promotion. I was gutted when we didn't sign him but Tugay softened the blow. Sukur would have been a class signing too but for the leg break.

Archived