BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba in Russian Race Row

• Backroom

I said this would happen, it was obvious after the abuse Roberto Carlos and many others got that he would be a target

Disgusting all the same, to think the world cup is going to be held there can be expect the sound of vuvuzelas to be replaced by monkey chants?

He's an idiot for going there. He was loved and respected at Rovers and was earning more than enough as it is. I remember in Sydney there were a number of African kids (possibly Congolese) so eager to get his autograph and meet him. He was a great role model for them back then, so important for us both in defence and attack with some truly inspirational performances. Now he's sold his soul for dirty money to be degraded and abused by neo-Nazi scum in Russia.

Poor guy needed to play with Beckham and Ronaldinho, Yakubu and Hoilett weren't big enough for him. I had tremendous respect for him until he started having a sulk and refused to play or give us 100%.

If we manage to stay up, he may feel even more foolish. He could have had another year of EPL. Now he's stuck in a country well known for its attitude towards those not of the same skin colour as the locals. Despite recent incidents which might suggest otherwise, racial tolerance and inclusion in the UK is in fact miles ahead of what it is there or indeed many other countries.

He would've gone there with eyes wide open and I presume he will have broad enough shoulders to cope. He's no doubt crying all the way to the bank.

He will have a couple of years there, earn a massive whack and then get a gig in Europe I should think. He'll probably become a better player under Hiddinck than playing for Kean as well, no doubt.

A shame (not said sarcastically).

Just because some posters in the thread say it's to be expected it doesn't mean it's any less wrong or any more stressful to the big lad.

And using this as something that might make him regret leaving us isn't the best way to be hoping he feels in the future he made a bad decision. In fact, I don't care if he never feels that way. If he was playing for a rival who compete with us then I would hope they wouldn't do well as a team and that we did better, but after leaving for a large amount and to a team who don't affect us then I hope he get what his performances for the new club deserve.

Wasn't Samba's nickname 'King Kong' amongst his Rovers team mates? So it's OK for our lot to make ape comparisons?

I'm sure there is a difference between racist chants by people who don't know Samba and a nickname amongst friends that Samba agreed to, yes. Which part of it confuses you?

Our fans on the other hand continued to sing a song about him which he did not like. That was embarrassing.

I thought he had no issue with it?

When a mate of mine asked him on a pre season trip what he thought, he said he had no problem.

Whereas a mate of mine who worked in catering for the club, and a German girl I knew who was over on some kind of apprentice journalism thing both told me that he found it embarrassing and didn't like to be defined by the colour of skin. He didn't mind being called black, but when it was needlessly pointed out it kind of annoyed him.

Yes. But it doesn't mean it's for everybody to sing about and define him by all the time.

Firstly, I don't recall that even happening.

Secondly, why not? It's either taken as a racist slur or not.

Firstly, I don't recall that even happening.

Secondly, why not? It's either taken as a racist slur or not.

A song that starts 'Chris Samba is a big black man...'

He never complained because it wasn't racist, I'm simply pointing out it was embarrassing that people chose to sing a song that he didn't like (though they may not have known so fair enough) that defined him by the colour of his skin.

Wasn't Samba's nickname 'King Kong' amongst his Rovers team mates? So it's OK for our lot to make ape comparisons?

Reminds me of a mate of mine who tried to download the movie "King Kong" ... Only to download "King Dong".

He never lived it down.

Brilliant stuff.

Archived