BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Press officer censorship

SAS

What exactly did go on yesterday?

Was it Agnew who vetted questions and is it common practice.

Yes, at every media contact Agnew will tell the interviewer what the boundaries are, what is off limits and what is acceptable. If they do not agree then no interview. Having said that there will be plenty of friendly journalists. In the press conferences the group of journalists are briefed on what they can ask and if they go off the plot they could face a ban (and possibly losing their job). (An extreme example is Fergusons banning of the BBC for years because of allegatiions against one of his sons, which I might add were never tested in court by the Ferguson family).

In individual interviews (like the recent Kean Sky exclusive) I expect the interviewer may have had to submit their questions so they can be agreed and Kean briefed on his answers and body language.

The media need to keep on the right side of the Premier League clubs as they rely on them for large amounts of column inches and hours of TV. Similarly they rely on a good relationship with agents as they feed them many of their 'exclusives'.

This explains why Kean gets such a positive spin as Anderson and Agnew work hard to give him a positive image. The use of a 'bodyguard' and lots of stewards close to Kean on matchdays provides visual imagery to help boost Keans profile and provide a distraction from the fact that he is incompetent.

All the press know what he is like. Kean is one of these people you can see through in 5 minutes.

Kean will soon find out that no one is interested in a manager of a small town Champions League Championship club and the media will be more likely to ridicule him and expose him for the imposter he is. He will become a nobody which is what he is.

It is the same for politics, entertainment etc. Most journalists are in someones pocket. There is no such thing as a 'free' press. If you want to spin a story you will find plenty of journalists wanting to print it.

Yes, at every media contact Agnew will tell the interviewer what the boundaries are, what is off limits and what is acceptable. If they do not agree then no interview. Having said that there will be plenty of friendly journalists. In the press conferences the group of journalists are briefed on what they can ask and if they go off the plot they could face a ban (and possibly losing their job). (An extreme example is Fergusons banning of the BBC for years because of allegatiions against one of his sons, which I might add were never tested in court by the Ferguson family).

In individual interviews (like the recent Kean Sky exclusive) I expect the interviewer may have had to submit their questions so they can be agreed and Kean briefed on his answers and body language.

The media need to keep on the right side of the Premier League clubs as they rely on them for large amounts of column inches and hours of TV. Similarly they rely on a good relationship with agents as they feed them many of their 'exclusives'.

This explains why Kean gets such a positive spin as Anderson and Agnew work hard to give him a positive image. The use of a 'bodyguard' and lots of stewards close to Kean on matchdays provides visual imagery to help boost Keans profile and provide a distraction from the fact that he is incompetent.

All the press know what he is like. Kean is one of these people you can see through in 5 minutes.

Kean will soon find out that no one is interested in a manager of a small town Champions League Championship club and the media will be more likely to ridicule him and expose him for the imposter he is. He will become a nobody which is what he is.

It is the same for politics, entertainment etc. Most journalists are in someones pocket. There is no such thing as a 'free' press. If you want to spin a story you will find plenty of journalists wanting to print it.

Is it a British thing then? I don't remember Christian Gross or Juande Ramos getting such lenient treatment - foreign agents?

I still think it's because the natural order hasn't followed since time immemorial managers have gone based on results - how many times do we hear from ousted managers that "it's a results business"? The pressure builds, the fans get more anti and the manager gets potted (I don't recall a single Sunderland fan get called a disgrace for holding up a Bruce Out sign, nor did the media slag off those venomous blokes behind Big Sam's dugout at Newcastle. Things have gone too far with Kean and the press are simply going through the motions because, let's face it, the really don't give a ######.

Is it a British thing then? I don't remember Christian Gross or Juande Ramos getting such lenient treatment - foreign agents?

I still think it's because the natural order hasn't followed since time immemorial managers have gone based on results - how many times do we hear from ousted managers that "it's a results business"? The pressure builds, the fans get more anti and the manager gets potted (I don't recall a single Sunderland fan get called a disgrace for holding up a Bruce Out sign, nor did the media slag off those venomous blokes behind Big Sam's dugout at Newcastle. Things have gone too far with Kean and the press are simply going through the motions because, let's face it, the really don't give a ######.

Stu,

The media, in my opinion, have been bought off, cant be any other reason, everyone cant be thick, well Merson excluded!!

Stu,

The media, in my opinion, have been bought off, cant be any other reason, everyone cant be thick, well Merson excluded!!

I don't think Rovers or Venkys have the means to buy off the press. Ironic comment about Merson considering his agent.

Stu it is not common place for such managers like you say Gross,Ramos to be grilled as much. Obviously when you are dealing with criminals/crooks this is the way they operate. Anderson & Agnew probably know all the ins and outs of the press. They know how to make sure certain questions don't get asked. They have vast experience of it so know which way to spin it with the press. However to me you and the rest of the fanbase we obviously know when they are hiding something/lying. They obviously believe no-one can see through their lies. I would also hazard a guess Agnew is probably up to his neck in it.

I frequently go to the post match press conferences at Ewood and I have never seen Paul Agnew tell the journo's what to avoid, I went to the Chelsea one when they played here, and journo's were asked not to ask about the John Terry racism case.When Utd won the league here last season Fergie turned up (which is rare) but the press had been told no questions about an F.A charge that he had just got at the time.

The times though I have been to hear what Kean has had to say post match, it's been pretty tame questions that have been fired at him.

Just come back from lunch at the Willows (near the hospital) and in walked in the lovely Mr Agnew, an official from Leicester City and a third suited man.

Sat on the table right behind us, but sadly didn't discuss anything interesting.

Hope they didn't find mine and my wife's slightly overloud discussion as to how badly Rovers are being run at the moment, too disturbing to their cosy little lunch :)

Was tempted to sneak into the kitchen and defecate on Agnew's plate, but hopefully the chef in there was a Rovers fan anyway and beat me to it...

Just come back from lunch at the Willows (near the hospital) and in walked in the lovely Mr Agnew, an official from Leicester City and a third suited man.

Sat on the table right behind us, but sadly didn't discuss anything interesting.

Hope they didn't find mine and my wife's slightly overloud discussion as to how badly Rovers are being run at the moment, too disturbing to their cosy little lunch :)

Was tempted to sneak into the kitchen and defecate on Agnew's plate, but hopefully the chef in there was a Rovers fan anyway and beat me to it...

I dont know how you stopped yourself doing something to agnew, Andy! I wouldnt be able to show the same restraint! ;)

An official from leicester. :rock: let's hope they want kean or agnew! (prays)

I dont know how you stopped yourself doing something to agnew, Andy! I wouldnt be able to show the same restraint! ;)

An official from leicester. :rock: let's hope they want kean or agnew! (prays)

Perhaps Leicester are declaring war on their supporters and need advice on how to orchestrate a press campaign against them, perhaps we need to go on the LC boards and warn them.

Willows ?? No offence Andy but that sums the ewood regime to a tee. Cheap crappy microwaved crap.

It's a fair point - we'd been at the hospital, so local, cheap and convenient.

Bit like Kean's appointment I guess.

I was very tempted to say something to embarrass Agnew and possibly would have done if he had been talking Kean and the Venky's regime up, but as it were they were talking about personal lives.

• Backroom

It's a fair point - we'd been at the hospital, so local, cheap and convenient.

Bit like Kean's appointment I guess.

I was very tempted to say something to embarrass Agnew and possibly would have done if he had been talking Kean and the Venky's regime up, but as it were they were talking about personal lives.

Probably best you left it pal. Can you imagine the headlines if you'd had a word?

ROVERS FAN STALKS CLUB OFFICIAL AND THREATENS HIM WITH VIOLENCE

Agnew: My Terror.

Blackburn Rovers press officer and long term fan Paul Agnew today spoke of his terror at being assualted in a family restaurant. With chiling echoes of the attack endured by Rovers manager Stevie Kean- he had to go elsewhere for a pudding- it raises the question, are Blackburn Rovers fans worse than terrorists?

Agnew: My Terror.

Blackburn Rovers press officer and long term fan Paul Agnew today spoke of his terror at being assualted in a family restaurant. With chiling echoes of the attack endured by Rovers manager Stevie Kean- he had to go elsewhere for a pudding- it raises the question, are Blackburn Rovers fans worse than terrorists?

:D Very good Matty and not far off the money if soemthing had happened.

Must say I'd have ripped into the idiot if I'd have seen him :angry2:

Archived