BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BRSIT reaches £1.2m in pledges!

If the Trust succeeds, I believe there will be a real upsurge of both interest and good will from supporters in season ticket termas and walk-on support.

I think a lot of us didn't realize how good we had it under the previous regime, me included. I haven't bought a season ticket for a few seasons but to see things back how they were before the unmentionables took over would guarantee me to buy one no matter how out of pocket I am these days.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the opposite.

If the Trust succeeds, I believe there will be a real upsurge of both interest and good will from supporters in season ticket termas and walk-on support.

We will then be reliant on a decent team, good management and league position, but then we always have, haven't we?

I think Brighton is a good example of what feel-good factors can be generated simply by a belief that club and fans are together and pulling in the same direction.

I agree with you saying Brighton a good example of the feel good factor. That was a club which had bad owners. Lost there ground, massive debts had to share a ground etc. But they had a Jack Walker situation. Tony Bloom came in and gave the club a huge loan - which does not need to be paid until at least 2023. With this money the club had a new ground built - Amex stadium at Falmer. But unlike Rovers, it is in a very good catchment area. Not another professional club near them.

Last season they were promoted to the championship and moved into the new ground for the start of this season. So two reasons for the feel good factor. They have a decent manager / owner which rovers do not. Brighton sold every season ticket last season, with 3000 more put on a waiting list. During this close season they are increasing the capacity of the ground by a further 8000. So many influences that can give that feel good factor.

Sadly Rovers do not have that. I think what we should be looking at is the swansea example. If the two Ian's are still interested in the club and have the funds required for 80% of the club. Plus the fans trust owning 20% then there is reason for hope. But with so many clubs around the blackburn area - so much competition for support etc - I just cannot see how enough money can be raised for 100% fans ownership of the club.

I agree with you saying Brighton a good example of the feel good factor. That was a club which had bad owners. Lost there ground, massive debts had to share a ground etc. But they had a Jack Walker situation. Tony Bloom came in and gave the club a huge loan - which does not need to be paid until at least 2023. With this money the club had a new ground built - Amex stadium at Falmer. But unlike Rovers, it is in a very good catchment area. Not another professional club near them.

Last season they were promoted to the championship and moved into the new ground for the start of this season. So two reasons for the feel good factor. They have a decent manager / owner which rovers do not. Brighton sold every season ticket last season, with 3000 more put on a waiting list. During this close season they are increasing the capacity of the ground by a further 8000. So many influences that can give that feel good factor.

Sadly Rovers do not have that. I think what we should be looking at is the swansea example. If the two Ian's are still interested in the club and have the funds required for 80% of the club. Plus the fans trust owning 20% then there is reason for hope. But with so many clubs around the blackburn area - so much competition for support etc - I just cannot see how enough money can be raised for 100% fans ownership of the club.

the last bit of your post is what we were hoping and thinking all this week based on my colleagues chat with Ian Currie at the Norwich game.For me thats the most likely possibility but in my humble and limited opinion it could be easier said than done.I also heard that the 2 Ian's provide capital to some pretty big ventures in their business but at that point i am out of my depth in these matters as to what that really means.

Pafell, they haven't actually ruled that out. They've actually said that if some saviour came in and wanted a huge share of the club they would try and work hand in hand. However at the moment while there is no saviour, the time to start planning for the worst is right now. At the meeting it was actually mentioned that these things don't just magically happen on their own, hence why they are trying to get something off the ground right now. Imagine if in two seasons we are down in league 1, the clubs worth has dropped considerably and Venky's are willing to sell to anyone who will listen just to get it off their hands. Yet because people like yourself are saying "it'll never happen" no one has bothered (to phrase Wayne) "put their head above the parapet." Then we truly will be screwed and it could lead to our once great club diminishing till it's no more.

1335539802[/url]' post='1252120']

Pafell, they haven't actually ruled that out. They've actually said that if some saviour came in and wanted a huge share of the club they would try and work hand in hand. However at the moment while there is no saviour, the time to start planning for the worst is right now. At the meeting it was actually mentioned that these things don't just magically happen on their own, hence why they are trying to get something off the ground right now. Imagine if in two seasons we are down in league 1, the clubs worth has dropped considerably and Venky's are willing to sell to anyone who will listen just to get it off their hands. Yet because people like yourself are saying "it'll never happen" no one has bothered (to phrase Wayne) "put their head above the parapet." Then we truly will be screwed and it could lead to our once great club diminishing till it's no more.

This.

It's a start, it won't end there. That is despite the cynical types who prefer to moan on a message board late at night.

We need a positive option and this is it.

Personally, I've no intention of being cynical but simply don't believe that BRSIT is a viable option on what I have heard so far. I accept totally that Venky's are a complete and utter disgrace. I genuinely believe that they have done untold damage to the club that will take a generation or more to recover from if, indeed, it ever does. However, because I think Venky's are a disaster it doesn't mean that I believe that BRSIT have the answer. Having read all that has been written about it and listened to podcasts etc. I simply don't feel that it is a viable option. Perhaps I am a cynical type but, ultimately, if I'm being asked to part with a grand I have to believe that the money is going to something that I believe is a postive step forward and at the moment I remain unconvinced.

Wow I have not said it 'will never happen'. I have said that I cannot see how the amount of money needed can be raised by fans alone. Big difference imo. I believe fans can raise some, but not all. The idea is a good one - but!

It has also been said on here that Ian Battersby is too close to Jerome Anderson - which I do not accept was the truth. Has it not been mentioned on here before that the two Ian's went over to see Venkys awhile ago. So somebody has and did put their head above the parapet.

Then there was the Qatar interest, which went nowhere.

I also do not believe they are going to sell. After all, if they have just had this training facility built in India - why do that if they are planning on selling. The only way to get rid of venkys is legal action, which could force them out. But the only ones in the position to do so, is the Walker trust. But they are not interested. But they sold the club and in my view they are just as responcible for the current situation as anybody else. At anytime they could have stepped in, but they have not done so. Certain influential people in Blackburn should be putting pressure on them to act.

Wow I have not said it 'will never happen'. I have said that I cannot see how the amount of money needed can be raised by fans alone. Big difference imo. I believe fans can raise some, but not all. The idea is a good one - but!

It has also been said on here that Ian Battersby is too close to Jerome Anderson - which I do not accept was the truth. Has it not been mentioned on here before that the two Ian's went over to see Venkys awhile ago. So somebody has and did put their head above the parapet.

Then there was the Qatar interest, which went nowhere.

I also do not believe they are going to sell. After all, if they have just had this training facility built in India - why do that if they are planning on selling. The only way to get rid of venkys is legal action, which could force them out. But the only ones in the position to do so, is the Walker trust. But they are not interested. But they sold the club and in my view they are just as responcible for the current situation as anybody else. At anytime they could have stepped in, but they have not done so. Certain influential people in Blackburn should be putting pressure on them to act.

Well I did say "people like yourself" meaning the sceptics, I didn't actually say you personally.

The problem with what you're saying is that what if they do sell, we're down in league 1, there's no buyers and they just leave the club to rot? This is what BRSIT has been set up for, a contingency.

And to the person saying... "Before I part with a grand I..." You aren't actually parting with a grand initially, you're just pledging. If at any point you feel like retracting your pledge because you feel that things are going the way you believe they should, you could do so (as far as I know).

£1.2m is a heck of a lot of money to be raised in a very short period of time. The website has only been up for a couple of weeks, and the only piece of media recorded was released mid-week. And that number was before the majority of businesses invited to Saturday mornings meeting had pledged (and they all said they would be getting behind it - the boss of Senator International is even setting up a loan facility with 0% interest so any of his employees who aren't flush with money can pledge).

An independent view of BRSIT: http://andrewhowells.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/how-to-save-a-football-club-2/

Personally, I've no intention of being cynical but simply don't believe that BRSIT is a viable option on what I have heard so far. I accept totally that Venky's are a complete and utter disgrace. I genuinely believe that they have done untold damage to the club that will take a generation or more to recover from if, indeed, it ever does. However, because I think Venky's are a disaster it doesn't mean that I believe that BRSIT have the answer. Having read all that has been written about it and listened to podcasts etc. I simply don't feel that it is a viable option. Perhaps I am a cynical type but, ultimately, if I'm being asked to part with a grand I have to believe that the money is going to something that I believe is a postive step forward and at the moment I remain unconvinced.

I thoroughly agree with you, you are cynical. Now I am probably one of the most cynical people you could meet, I plan for the worst and I analyse whether something could work or not. This is a genuine possibility and I think there is a chance of success.

I don't think anyone connected with BRSIT believes that there is a simple answer to this, however it does provide a vehicle which allows fan involvement in a way that isn't possible without it. This is the first step of a long journey and yes, Venkys don't appear to be willing to sell at the moment. Do I want them to turn into succesful owners at Blackburn Rovers, yes I do, but what happens if we continue down the current path we appear to be on? Portsmouth have a genuine chance of going out of existence and that has happened elsewhere.

You aren't being asked to part with any money, that is down to whoever chooses to pledge and clearly that doesn't include you. Is it possible that you might change your mind if it becomes more likely to succeed? Well perhaps not yourself but there are a lot of other people who are holding back who will come forward if this turns into a viable option.

I have never held with the people who complain about Venky's and then cry into their beer or post on the internet to vent their frustration. You have to have an alternative or otherwise you are just a spectator who stands on the sidelines criticising others for trying to find a resolution.

What can't be claimed is that the people involved with BRSIT don't care passionately about Blackburn Rovers and I feel that it is with that commitment we may save the Rovers should we end up in a place where the alternatives are bleak.

This is early days and as such don't write BRSIT off. The only thing that holds us back is our paradigm of the world where we are victims rather than participants.

• Moderation Lead

I thoroughly agree with you, you are cynical. Now I am probably one of the most cynical people you could meet, I plan for the worst and I analyse whether something could work or not. This is a genuine possibility and I think there is a chance of success.

I don't think anyone connected with BRSIT believes that there is a simple answer to this, however it does provide a vehicle which allows fan involvement in a way that isn't possible without it. This is the first step of a long journey and yes, Venkys don't appear to be willing to sell at the moment. Do I want them to turn into succesful owners at Blackburn Rovers, yes I do, but what happens if we continue down the current path we appear to be on? Portsmouth have a genuine chance of going out of existence and that has happened elsewhere.

You aren't being asked to part with any money, that is down to whoever chooses to pledge and clearly that doesn't include you. Is it possible that you might change your mind if it becomes more likely to succeed? Well perhaps not yourself but there are a lot of other people who are holding back who will come forward if this turns into a viable option.

I have never held with the people who complain about Venky's and then cry into their beer or post on the internet to vent their frustration. You have to have an alternative or otherwise you are just a spectator who stands on the sidelines criticising others for trying to find a resolution.

What can't be claimed is that the people involved with BRSIT don't care passionately about Blackburn Rovers and I feel that it is with that commitment we may save the Rovers should we end up in a place where the alternatives are bleak.

This is early days and as such don't write BRSIT off. The only thing that holds us back is our paradigm of the world where we are victims rather than participants.

I'll chuck a grand of my own cash in, when I feel like it's going to make a difference.

The problem is, I doubt Venky's will sell for ANY LESS than they bought for, so until we get to that point, I can't see it being a realistic possibility.

Though I genuinely hope it does bear fruit, as there is nobody else buying it seems.

I'll chuck a grand of my own cash in, when I feel like it's going to make a difference.

The problem is, I doubt Venky's will sell for ANY LESS than they bought for, so until we get to that point, I can't see it being a realistic possibility.

Though I genuinely hope it does bear fruit, as there is nobody else buying it seems.

Well why not pledge then? You can always retract it if they decide to move on with the process and you feel it won't make the difference you hoped it would.

If everyone did that, it may just make the difference you are talking about.

People seem to be under the impression that they are putting in their money now - they aren't - they are pledging money.

As for Venky's selling for less, if we go down they will make money from the assets that will have to be sold won't they, which will mean they make up the difference? And owning a Championship club won't be a good PR vehicle will it?

I can't see them keeping hold of the club unless they are willing to invest in the team to get them back up. They might wait a season to see if Kean can get us back up, but if that happens I fear a Leeds style freefall.

Firstly, Roversider, let me say that I agree with much of what you say with regard to the people involved being sincere in what they are trying to do. I don't doubt that for a minute. However, where we differ is perhaps in the view that if you aren't backing the BRSIT plan then you have no right to voice an opinion about the present owners. You are correct in that I don't have a solution. However, if I don't believe BRSIT is the solution what would be the point in pledging money to it? Surely you would agree that if you are going to back something you have to believe in it? When I feel that the BRSIT plan is a viable option I will be happy to reconsider but at the moment I suspect, that like many supporters, I simply haven't reached that point.

Firstly, Roversider, let me say that I agree with much of what you say with regard to the people involved being sincere in what they are trying to do. I don't doubt that for a minute. However, where we differ is perhaps in the view that if you aren't backing the BRSIT plan then you have no right to voice an opinion about the present owners. You are correct in that I don't have a solution. However, if I don't believe BRSIT is the solution what would be the point in pledging money to it? Surely you would agree that if you are going to back something you have to believe in it? When I feel that the BRSIT plan is a viable option I will be happy to reconsider but at the moment I suspect, that like many supporters, I simply haven't reached that point.

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions, I just think we have too much negativity at the moment. All I ask in respect of BRSIT is if you don't want to pledge at the moment then fine but wait a while to let it develop before writing it off. By the sound of it you haven't made a final decision yet and that is good, it may turn into a damp squib but I hope it can be nurtured into something special. I'm of the other camp to you, I've pledged and will push for BRSIT to be successful, however if it ends up being wrong then I will pull out and mark it down to a worthy attempt. We may share the same concern about the chance of success but I feel it's better to try than not.

Archived