BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier league Television Rights

Tom

• Backroom

BT have just secured the rights to 38 premier league games a season for 3 years from 2013 edging out ESPN whereas sky gets 116 games.

Here is the real kicker, the deal overall is worth £3 billion that's £1.8 billion more than last time.

The gap between the premier league and the rest has perhaps become a bridge to far for all and thanks to Venkys we are the wrong side of that now.

The consequences of this will be huge IMO

• Backroom

I presume BT will roll a channel out similar either to the old setanta or pay to view one

I work for BT and see it as possibly being great for share price or very costly for the company which could be dangerous.

Hope it's the former!

Pay per view won't ever take off in this country, unless it's offering a premium product.

I do feel the one thing the EPL is seriously missing out on at present is offering a package of games via streaming.

3 billion is scandalous amounts of money though. The players & agents will be demanding more money from tomorrow.

• Backroom

If we'd stayed in the prem Venky's would definitely not have sold, and none of the extra money would have gone into the club in any meaningful way anyway. It doesn't matter.

Pay per view won't ever take off in this country, unless it's offering a premium product.

I do feel the one thing the EPL is seriously missing out on at present is offering a package of games via streaming.

3 billion is scandalous amounts of money though. The players & agents will be demanding more money from tomorrow.

Totally agree.

I presume BT will roll a channel out similar either to the old setanta or pay to view one

I work for BT and see it as possibly being great for share price or very costly for the company which could be dangerous.

Hope it's the former!

It could be part of the BT Vision sports package. Then get new subscribers.

I can see a lot more pubs being chased for broadcasting foreign games with the amounts of money at stake here. Which in turn will probably lead to more pubs closing down as they can't afford Sky's ridiculous prices and won't be able to get punters through the door without it.

All in all, it's been a bad day as far as the rights go.

Greedy footballers and agents will get even greedier. Pubs and clubs will get poorer and if you wan't to watch football in this country you'll have to stump up a lot more money (in the long run and at however much a BT channel subscription will be)

Will they though? I thought the 16,16,8,8 current payments only started recently.

Yes.

The format changed recently - it used to be three equal payments - the value has always fluctuated.

The amounts are based on "shares" of prize money at the end of each season - the value of these shares increases so the parachute payments will - we will get one £16m for 12-13 - then whatever the new share from the prize pool will be.

I can see a lot more pubs being chased for broadcasting foreign games with the amounts of money at stake here. Which in turn will probably lead to more pubs closing down as they can't afford Sky's ridiculous prices and won't be able to get punters through the door without it.

All in all, it's been a bad day as far as the rights go.

Greedy footballers and agents will get even greedier. Pubs and clubs will get poorer and if you wan't to watch football in this country you'll have to stump up a lot more money (in the long run and at however much a BT channel subscription will be)

Arent pubs allowed to show foreign tv rights now since that woman from Portsmouth won? Its a weird thing imo how companies keep paying more when its getting easier by the season to watch games elsewhere anyway.

Arent pubs allowed to show foreign tv rights now since that woman from Portsmouth won? Its a weird thing imo how companies keep paying more when its getting easier by the season to watch games elsewhere anyway.

Not as simple as that - yes they can show premier league football as long as their is no branding on screen (ie the premier league logo and graphics).

Also recently sky decided to limit the number of games shown overseas as they own the rights and could choose which games they made available to foreign channels, this meant that even pubs with a foreign decoder could only show what games sky decided upon that day.

No one in the UK can show a live premier league game between 3 & 4:45 on a Saturday regardless of branding!

The only solution is for Joe public to stop buying sky subscriptions and refuse to pay to watch football on tv. But that won't happen.

Pubs have to pay anything from £3k to £40k per year for sky at the moment depending on their business rates and food turnover.

Just as an aside and I'll admit to not giving this much thought but isn't there an opening for the Championship to start up a Chanpionship TV station? MU have their own, Chelsea too I think. So if one club can justify it then I'm sure the combined might of Champoionship clubs could to.

A very competative league with big enough fan bases bringing plenty of advertising potential and most of those supporters have little or no interest in the Prem. I know it failed a while back but times have changed. The recession plus the cost of the new Prem package will surely have priced out lots of advertisers and sponsors. When one door closes another one usually opens.

Archived