BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

Great day. Loving the Olympics though the swimming is really dragging on now, great if you love the sport I suppose. Shame about Vic's, I would go down there to offer some comfort but the judge was rather strict with the terms.

The weightlifting is decent, I train for predominately strength these day so can appreciate what they can move.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Loving the Olympics but I do tend to avoid the swimming as I find it pretty dull

Archery has been a surprise favourite so far and seems to be played in the right spirit and they actually seem happy to be there

Who's been people favourite individual athlete of the games so far? Or favourite moment? Apart from a British person winning a medal.

Mine is Yannick Agnel's final leg in the 4x100 metre freestyle to catch Lochtie and the Americans. And he's been amazing.

The favourite event I attended was the men's team archery finals. Great fun.

But as a 'cult hero' El-Sayed Lashin in the table tennis.

The archery was very good, I wouldn't mind having a go if I ever get the chance. Really enjoyed the shooting yesterday, which is surprising as I find clay shooting boring. I think it helps that the competitors seemed more relaxed and enjoying the whole event.

If they ever put me in charge of the olympics the swimming will be seriously cut down.

Loving the Olympics but I do tend to avoid the swimming as I find it pretty dull

Archery has been a surprise favourite so far and seems to be played in the right spirit and they actually seem happy to be there

Same thoughts about the Archery. I've been impressed with the mentality they appear to have. In particular I think it was that female Japanese archer, Miki Kanie I think she was called that stood out to me. She was constantly smiling and as a result I was really cheering that Japanese womens team on to try and win their first medal in the sport. The way they celebrated when they got the Bronze showed how much it meant to them.

If by 'time' you mean 'arse' then I totally agree.

One gold and two bronze so far today. Potential for atleast 3 more gold today in the pool and velodrome. We have another female judoka through to a semi final as well.

Quite interesting that we have won medals in the same amount of sports as USA despite them having 18 golds.

And just one less sport than china.

Swimming has 34 gold medal events track cycling just 10.

Weightlifting 15 medals

More interestingly we are allowed just 1 team/ individual in each cycling event yet swimming is a competition of the best in the world no matter the nationality.

A bit flawed?

Quite interesting that we have won medals in the same amount of sports as USA despite them having 18 golds.

Weightlifting 15 medals

More interestingly we are allowed just 1 team/ individual in each cycling event yet swimming is a competition of the best in the world no matter the nationality.

A bit flawed?

More than a bit I'd say. Far too many variations for my liking.

More than a bit I'd say. Far too many variations for my liking.

They were discussing this on talkshyte this morning, It's a bit unfair on others to call Micheal Phelps the greatest athlete ever as he has so many shots at winning gold in breaststroke, freestyle etc etc. If sprinters had different ways of competing than simply running forwards I'm sure someone else would have already topped his record, obviously this is never going to happen unless they introduce running backwards, sidewards. :huh:

Managed to watch Teddy Riner ragdolling some fatties in the judo, thanks to the magic of BBC iPlayer's rewind facility and my boss finishing early today.

Check it out - it's so one-sided, it almost seems unfair. They should tie his feet together to give the others a chance. That bloke would make an incredible MMA fighter, if he was so inclined.

Two gold medal events for us in next hour at the velodrome.

Team pursuit likely to be gold and new world record whilst Kerain is likely to produce a silver, but could easily be a gold.

Then we have Becky Adlibgton in her 800m final tonight who qualified fastest and is reigning world champion at about 8pm.

Weightlifting 15 medals

A bit flawed?

Fully agree, swimming has far too many variations, it should be just 25m, 50m, 100m etc, then 2 relays. It's also had far too much coverage on bbc for me. Also agree on the restricted numbers in the cycling. Gb has to pick between Jason Kenny and chris hoy for 1 race, they are ranked 1 & 2 in the world, but only 1 can compete. I could understand in the sailing where teams could gang up to disrupt other countries or equivalent, but I don't understand the 1 per country rule.

Archived