BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

So this is not far away. Are we interested? Personally I've no more interest in the London Olympics than in any other games. The Olympics does little for me and the fact it is in Britain hasn't increased my interest. I shall watch the cycling and possibly the Opening Ceremony as I'm interested to see how the model Danny Boyle has revealed is turned into reality. On the face of it including a selection of farm animals is rather tasteless and a bit circus-like but I'll reserve judgement on that.

Overall I feel this is a London Olympics and has little benefit or excitement for the rest of the UK - TV is TV regardless of where it is streamed from. When Manchester hosted the CWG in 2000 I felt excited and energised, we went to several events and enjoyed them. This Olympics seems somewhat divorced from most of us and we've been given little chance to join in. Location and cost prevents many from even considering a ticket application.

Euro 2012 has so far proved easy to avoid. Hopefully the same will be true for the Olympics.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the enormous crowds throughout the relay to date has perhaps demonstrated a far greater interest in the wider country than many thought. I was at Chorley market with my parents from before 0700 when it visited and it was great fun. The mix of people all smiling and lapping it up was brilliant. Some will never feel any interest though, and that's not a problem, I can see why.

What does annoy me are those insular footie fans we have at work who say other than some athletics and maybe swimming, that the entire games aren't important at all. What generates that level of arrogance in football fans that only that sport is 'worthy' and knock the efforts and accomplishments of every other sportsperson?

Personally I can't wait and have got tickets for 6 different sports, including medal events in 2 sessions. Particularly looking forward to seeing sports such as archery and fencing that I dont know much about.

Also got 5 sessions at the Paralympics which I think will be pretty inspiring.

Why avoid euros?

Are you not a footy fan?

After last season at Ewood, aren't you heartily sick of football ?

I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Managed to get tickets for the hockey and swimming and have made late inquiries about athletics tickets. Some of the minor Olympic sports (football - no thank you) do not interest me but absolutely love the athletics and hoping that we can secure at least one gold medal on the track.

London 2012 will give Britain the chance to show the world the pomp and pagaentry we are normally very good at and although the capital will be the main beneficiary (nothing new there) the Olympics will hopefully provide some cheer and relief from the unremitting economic gloom.

You are missing out Paul, as someone who thought the last World Cup was appalling, I've really enjoyed the Euros.

As for the Olympics, apart from track and field, I can't say I will be actively looking to watch anything else.

It's not that hard to get tickets - I just got some hockey tickets for 30th July 20 minutes ago at £35 each. I already have tickets for the womens' road race cycling, athletics on 6th August and some Olympic Park tickets for 30th July.

I take the point about other costs though. I am lucky both to get tickets and to have somewhere to stay in London as my eldest lives there. In fact for the first weekend he is off with his housemates to a wedding in Harrogate so I have the run of a 4 bed house in Brixton in return for lending him my car.

The best, and only bit I plan to watch, will probably last less than 10 seconds.

Al that money spent on the Olympics would have been better spent on the NHS, public transport and affordable housing.

I don't disagree with you Ozz. I was initially very down on the London games as well as I remembered how the southern based media tore apart the Olympic bids by Manchester and Birmingham and then expected us all to get behind London's bid. But the fact is that it's there and the money's been spent whether rightly or not so I decided to stop being grumpy about it and see what I could get to see. I would have like to have got inside the velodrome but I'm pretty happy with some cycling, athletics and now hockey. I'll be seeing the women's pole vault final on 6th and hoping for a performance from local girl Holly Bleasdale.

I turned down an invite to the Opening Ceremony.

We have enough sheep up here in Lankyshire for me to be bothered going down to a dank, smelly, overcrowded and overpriced London with an Olympic Park themed sheep and false clouds that rain.....they must be bonkers!

Abbey's quite right Jim. Your attempt at mockery has rebounded on you somewhat.

As for me...... a passing interest only for me I'm afraid.

Tholympics lost much of it's attraction for me when the true olympic spirit of amateurism was on the back of obscure political capital turned into shamateurism by first the commies and then the septics before being abandoned altogether.

I really enjoy the Olympics. From the swimming, gymnastics, to the track and field it's a great event. What does irk me is the creeping influence of TV sports. Beach volleyball and tennis are 2 that I think should never get anywhere near it. Basketball gets plugged to no end in the USA but for some reason the Yanks don't jump on the national supporting bandwagon like other nations do.

The Euro's have been good too.

I live in London and I think it is impossible to avoid the Olympics so I'm going to embrace them! I've managed to get tickets for athletics, rowing, beach volleyball and hockey. Some are quite expensive, but I've paid for them over time.

I'm looking forward to going to some sporting events without a feeling of utter dread, which I tend to feel when going to see the Rovers now.

• Backroom

Another uninterested one here.

I'll watch bits and bobs but the whole thing doesn't really bother me.

Loving the euros though, fantastic tournament so far

The planned opening ceremony maybe characteristically British, but I feel will be ridiculous.

I'm one of the few who though the handover in Peking was great; Weary of thousands of dancers in fairy lights in a closing ceremony that seemed to go on for three days, to have Jimmy Paige belt out Whole Lotta Love was tremendous. (If you youtube it you can hear the American commentators whooping and clapping in the background).

They should stick with what we're good at, pomp and pageant, maybe a little 007 thrown in.

Why avoid euros?

Are you not a footy fan?

At the moment if I never see another football match it will be too soon. Completely lost interest but will be there next season.

I think it's because Rivers has always fed my interest in football, the rest was just going in around the edges, and with nothing of interest happening at Ewood I've switched off for the moment.

I know England won last night but nothing else about the Euros.

Overall I feel this is a London Olympics and has little benefit or excitement for the rest of the UK - TV is TV regardless of where it is streamed from. When Manchester hosted the CWG in 2000 I felt excited and energised, we went to several events and enjoyed them. This Olympics seems somewhat divorced from most of us and we've been given little chance to join in. Location and cost prevents many from even considering a ticket application.

Paul hope you dont mind that I've edited your original post but you've summed up my feelings in the above comments.

Apart from the traffic disruption by the token torch marathon around the country it's the London Olympics.

Whilst its a once in a lifetime experience for supporters of Olympic events the costs involved are obsene, to set up the venue, organise the event and the prices of tickets, not to mention the hike in accomodation costs during the period. eg London Premier Inns average cost normally £80.00 per night up to £200 per night during Olympics - my son was quoted £500 per night at Stratford (sold out now !!!)

Im with o2g, i wasnt that bothered about the Olympics but its happening so may as well enjoy it!! Ive got tickets for Hockey and Basketball, still trying to get a few others but will need to check a different weekend because every event I could go to one 3/4th has v little tickets left.

I do agree however that some sports shouldnt be there such as footy. I think for most sports the Olympics should be one of the prestige events, if not THE event for that sport, but in footy it really isnt.

• 1 month later...

Personally really looking forward to the Olympics, and seemingly appear to be unlucky as I haven't managed to get tickets for anything. Even more annoying is the amount of people who weren't that bothered who have got them. Would have loved to go to the velodrome, or see the athletics. Would have liked to take my nephew to Old Trafford to see GB football team too, but that's sold out.

I think it's trendy to have a go, but I think there will be a massive change in attitude once they begin in earnest.

I do understand the point about everything having to be in London, but overall Im just happy to see our country actually get a world class sporting event held here. I'm just a bit sad that the legacy will be, similarly to Manchester, that the stadium will be used as a cheap way for rich football clubs to increase their revenue without capital expenditure and not a decent athletics stadium as it should be reserved for.

Been invited to an Opening Ceremony party which I think is a great idea as most people will watch. Why not do so with friends and a drink and turn it in to more of an event.

Everyone has to go dressed as their favourite Olympian. Fortunately I do have a yellow cycle jersey............

Archived