BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

I'd never sing 'god save the queen' and I'm embarrassed when its played at any major sporting event. Its terrible.

Suppose you'd rather it was turned into a pop song like those godawful performances in the states where they get 'Christina Miley GaGa Spears' to warble the star spangled banner ?

It has class, like our marvellously grumpy Queen.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the national anthem was changed, I'd sing it. I'd never sing 'god save the queen' and I'm embarrassed when its played at any major sporting event. Its terrible.

Thats cos it's probably got a quite different connotation in Brighton. ^_^

As for Scottish people: they may be aware of the sixth verse of the British National Anthem

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King"

That's not very nice is it?

And 'Flower of Scotland' ?

"Sent him homeward to think again" Yup, we had a good think, then went up to Cullodden and knocked the ###### out of them

Suppose you'd rather it was turned into a pop song like those godawful performances in the states where they get 'Christina Miley GaGa Spears' to warble the star spangled banner ?

It has class, like our marvellously grumpy Queen.

It's a prayer. Got no problem with the Queen but I'm not going to start praying for her. Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem would be a massive improvement.

I was hoping for a more Dizzee Rascal inspired anthem personally. I'm sure Cheryl Cole could give it a stab.

Why are there so many unoccupied seats at the venues so far?

Are the Welsh,Scots,and Northern Irish refusing to attend?

Ha!

That was bugging me yesterday. Apparently it's all the 'Olympic family' tickets given to all sponsors. If they're going to gobble up all the tickets then they should at least have the courtesy of turning up, when there's 1000s of folk have been trying to get tickets for the past 18 months.

Who? USA vs France? Tony Parker vs the Americans. He's an unbelievable player.

Are Britain playing?

Russia vs GB is on at 8 tonight.

GB haven't looked good going into this tournament - we've lost our three warm up games to USA, Belgium and Tunisia.

USA are on at half 2

Ha!

That was bugging me yesterday. Apparently it's all the 'Olympic family' tickets given to all sponsors. If they're going to gobble up all the tickets then they should at least have the courtesy of turning up, when there's 1000s of folk have been trying to get tickets for the past 18 months.

It's definitely not all corporates. It's amazing how many people are taking to their seats part way through a session and how many are leaving well before the end. It's like the Riverside have all come down to the Olympics.

Judo this morning was good, but table tennis is absolutely mental! (In a good way)

Brazil vs Belarus in football is on now....Sky channel 460.

Goal!!!! 1-0 to Belarus haha.....lovely cross field ball, knocked back first time to another player who crosses it in for a first time header after some poor marking.....but a very nicely worked goal nonetheless......and the scorer was born in Brazil.

Hulk looks lively.

That was a fabulous race won by the favourite Vos and Lizzie Armistead taking silver for GB. They clearly learnt from the men's race yesterday

Obviously the 1-2-3 fact is correct but the rest of your post betrays ignorance and lack of understanding of the sport. In Froome, Wiggins and Cavendish we have three of the world' s best riders. The records show British cycling has delivered time after time in every competition in recent years topped off by a brilliant TDF win last Sunday - for the over hyped failures of Cavendish and Wiggins.

The race panned out as it did because NONE of the other sprint teams were prepared to share the work on the front of the peloton so destroying their own chances of a medal along with GB's. The Germans (!) were especially guilty of this. Either these teams had no faith in their own sprinters or didn't want to go head to head with Cavendish.

If GB made a mistake, and I grant you they may have done, it was the apparent lack of a Plan B. I said elsewhere Froome should have gone with the breakaway and still think that could have made a big difference.

100% agree with Paul's comments, the rest of the cycling world is so terrified of sprinting against Cavendish they chose to employ spoiler tactics, ruining their own chances to stop Team GB. Cycling on the front of a group is far more tiring than sitting in the bunch and Wiggins, Froome, Miller and Stannard had nothing left in the tank. To hear some of the comments in the media (including John McEnroe on the BBC) it is not a surprise that some people have been a little fooled that the GB men's road team somehow blew it, 5 men v the rest of the world is a huge challenge. Ironic that tactics have been questionned when we've just had a 1-2 in the TdF and have the current World Champion.

Archived