BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jess Ennis is absolutely smashing it.

I'd love to absolutely smash her.....and the other 2 British heptathletes.....but no, she was quality today.

A British guy just won in the boxing but I don't know how far along the competition is.

1 trans.gifUnited States 21 10 11

2 trans.gifChina 20 13 9

3 trans.gifKorea 9 2 5

4 trans.gifUnited Kingdom 8 6 8

5 trans.gifFrance 8 5 6

The Ethiopian girl was really impressive.

Interesting to see if we can overhaul the Koreans, Russia are a way off the gold medal pace meaning third is a real possibility.

If the rowing, cycling, athletics and boxing all provide 2 golds each, which is entirely possible, we'll be on 16 without mentioning any of the sailors, Murray, Shanaze Reade, the equestrian guys and any other unexpected randoms that could pop up. 20 golds and beating the record from Beijing looks very possible at this point.

• Backroom

Swimming needs more investment....there's only a handful of 50m pools in the whole country.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of our schools have pools compared to American ones

I bet all ours are in private schools

It's not a schools issue...the country needs more publically owned Olympic sized 50m pools so the best swimmers can train properly. There's plenty of public and private pools here but they are too small.

Just got back from Centre Court. Incredible day. Federer's match just never ended (I think broke the record for longest Olympic singles match?) and Murray was brilliant. The atmosphere was probably the best I've ever been in. The reaction on match point was deafening. I'm now a shade of lobster, but it was a cracking day out.

It's not a schools issue...the country needs more publically owned Olympic sized 50m pools so the best swimmers can train properly. There's plenty of public and private pools here but they are too small.

Iirc Darwen was planned for 50m but a public consultation reduced that to 25m.

Just got back from Centre Court. Incredible day. Federer's match just never ended (I think broke the record for longest Olympic singles match?) and Murray was brilliant. The atmosphere was probably the best I've ever been in. The reaction on match point was deafening. I'm now a shade of lobster, but it was a cracking day out.

I think? that was Tsonga's match the other day but I'm not sure, maybe this one topped it.....I also think Murray said he prefers the Olympic crowd to the Wimbledon one. Have you got tickets for the final?

It's not just pools though, it's the lack of amenities for almost every non team sport.

Look at how much we have improved at track cycling since the velodrome was opened in manchester, that should be the legacy of this Olympics, to invest in top class sports facilities for all.

I read a stat before these Olympics that over 60% of our Olympians went to private schools, that surely proves the talent is there, it's just finding it.

I think? that was Tsonga's match the other day but I'm not sure, maybe this one topped it.....I also think Murray said he prefers the Olympic crowd to the Wimbledon one. Have you got tickets for the final?

Apparently Feds game today was the longest Olympic tennis game ever, and was only shorter than his 4 set win over Roddick in 2009 Wimbledon final by 10 mins or so. It was exhausting especially sitting in the sun throughout. I can see Murray taking Federer this time round. His groundstrokes were incredible today and Djokovic was playing decent tennis. Brilliant win.

Can't make the Sunday final unfortunately, although I didn't realise that its going to be played over 5 sets which seems odd. I'm actually going to the 100m final instead so I'm not going to miss out too much.

Well have a fantastic time. 100m wow, those tickets are golden.

Bolt in close to 9 secs flat I reckon. Very Fast track and great opposition means he will be challenged till far later in the race than Beijing.

Apparently Feds game today was the longest Olympic tennis game ever, and was only shorter than his 4 set win over Roddick in 2009 Wimbledon final by 10 mins or so. It was exhausting especially sitting in the sun throughout. I can see Murray taking Federer this time round. His groundstrokes were incredible today and Djokovic was playing decent tennis. Brilliant win.

Can't make the Sunday final unfortunately, although I didn't realise that its going to be played over 5 sets which seems odd. I'm actually going to the 100m final instead so I'm not going to miss out too much.

Fair enough.....that Roddick vs Federer match was truly epic....I hate that word now it has become overused but that's the best word to describe it......hopefully he does, he is a tremendous player unfortunate to be around at the same time as 3 other ones......an Olympic gold medal in front of a home crowd will be truly special and give him confidence that he can beat one of the others in a "major" final.....I know it isn't a Grand Slam but you know what I mean.......have fun at the 100m final.....I am truly jealous.

Well have a fantastic time. 100m wow, those tickets are golden.

Bolt in close to 9 secs flat I reckon. Very Fast track and great opposition means he will be challenged till far later in the race than Beijing.

I wouldn't bet against Bolt but nothing is ever guaranteed....they say he hasn't been running as well because all his media commitments have interfered with his training......and that Yohan Blake has beaten him twice this year hasn't he?...something like that.....never right off the Americans in sprinting either.....Justin Gatlin and will Tyson Gay be there? And what about Asafa Powell I haven't heard him being mentioned.

I think Bolt will win but I love when the unexpected happens and Bolt not winning the 100m will be up there.

Had a brill day in the Olympic Park! Spent the afternoon having a wander around and watching the cycling from the park in the middle of the park. Our event in evening was hockey, first game Spain vs SA was very good, next one wasnt as good but the Belgian fans made up for it.

One strange thing about it is of all the days of the olympics so far, its the one I know least about (especially cos my phone died), iys quite hard to follow everything else whilst watching your games. However you know that 'something' is happening cos Wherever you are in the park the noise that comes from the aquatics centre and athletics stadium is very loud.

Off tomorrow to see if GB can pull their finger out at Basketball!

Do Korea have any medal hopes left after weightlifting and archery have gone?

If only we could swim..

Now the judo fencing and archery are over ROK will start falling away. Third place on the medal table is GBs for the taking. Korea have had an exceptional Olympics so far and finishing above the likes of Australia, several Europeans and most importantly Japan would be seen as a huge triumph.

Hope Great Britain can take South Korea. I think Japan and Brazil are teams to watch out for in the men's competition, broke my heart the women lost but O Canada got two great goals...even if GB should have been given a pen.

Great Britain, won Olympics, 1908, 1912, 2012

England win World Cup, 1966, 2066!!

Gold chance in women's triathlon this morning. Not many people know about this sport.

But we are world champions in men's and women's. The men's event will probably see the Brownlee brothers cross the line together for a 1-2.

Most of my training is geared towards triathlon and I have competed at this distance.

It includes 1500m swim - 40km bike - 10k run.

Gold medal for Pendleton!!! What a quality but confusing race. I thought she had lost it then.....she's so attractive as well as an amazing athlete.

Her burst of speed which made the the best in the world look like they were in an OAP beginners spinning class literally took my breath away. An amazing spectacle!

Not only that but the mens line and discipline which gained a gold and new world record in the team pursuit made the Aussies look ragged.

Credit to all. Makes me feel like getting my bike clips out.

Archived