BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gb Olympic Squad

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not clued up , with olympic football , but are any of our new starlets playing for Portugal in the tournament ?

Portugal aren't in :) It is a very odd collection of countries who are in, I've no idea how they come up with it - it must go on the u21 rankings (because I dont think there is a u23 one)

Anyway just got back from Old Trafford. It was a good but strange atmosphere. Was a cross between an u21 international and listening to Wimbledon on the telly, but it was good. Think it was a first proper footy game for a lot of people there. The first game was pretty fun - everyone was cheering for UAE. I don't think UAE had so many supporters before, but having Suarez on the opposing team helps. Thought that GB started off ok and looked the better team in the first half, but not in the second. But Pearce has no 'plan B' like someone else we know :( Bellamy was our best player by an absolute mile I thought.

If you're going to any of the other games at OT - outside the ground despite the stricter security, all was well, just make sure you put all your stuff in one of their plastic bags and you'll be fine. Inside was a bit of a shambles. They'd run out of food after half time of the first game, then run out of beer and water in between the two games. However getting away from OT was the easiest it has ever been, they put on a load of shuttle buses on Talbot Road and was back at Piccadily by 10.30.

Because you want stories at the olympics. Former England captain coming home for one last hurrah would have been a good story, especially if he'd scored a free kick or something.

Better than having the country represented by a weasel-faced Welsh turd who once assaulted a teammate with a golf club.

Lets be fair tho, that teammates name was john arne riise. Now thats one annoying ginger right there

Portugal aren't in :) It is a very odd collection of countries who are in, I've no idea how they come up with it - it must go on the u21 rankings (because I dont think there is a u23 one)

Anyway just got back from Old Trafford. It was a good but strange atmosphere. Was a cross between an u21 international and listening to Wimbledon on the telly, but it was good. Think it was a first proper footy game for a lot of people there. The first game was pretty fun - everyone was cheering for UAE. I don't think UAE had so many supporters before, but having Suarez on the opposing team helps. Thought that GB started off ok and looked the better team in the first half, but not in the second. But Pearce has no 'plan B' like someone else we know :( Bellamy was our best player by an absolute mile I thought.

If you're going to any of the other games at OT - outside the ground despite the stricter security, all was well, just make sure you put all your stuff in one of their plastic bags and you'll be fine. Inside was a bit of a shambles. They'd run out of food after half time of the first game, then run out of beer and water in between the two games. However getting away from OT was the easiest it has ever been, they put on a load of shuttle buses on Talbot Road and was back at Piccadily by 10.30.

Thanks , for clearing that one up cn 174

Spain crashed out to Honduras, didn't watch it closely, maybe Fabregas played and the Spaniards were complaining vehemently to the referee afterwords.

they must pick these teams by going on something like the regional Federations, CONEMBOL (South America), etc.

Great Britain play Suarez and Uruguay I believe coming up. Uruguay has not by any means been playing well, hope that continues Looks like GB needs a draw to make sure they advance. Senegal played well this last match but obviously were overly physical vs. GB and the referee should have probably handed out a red card...maybe a penalty.

GB Women's defeated Brazil, great result that was.

Last time, Argentina won the Gold, Nigeria the Silver, neither made this tournament.

Japan is a pretty darn good team from what I can tell. Firing on all cylinders. I think Belarus will advance too. Statistically, none of these teams seem too bad.

I don't know how UEFA does it, but here in CONCACAF, there is an olympic qualifying tournament similar to the WC, which is the U23 teams (so the olympic squads minus the 3 overage players). USA men didn't get to the olympics cause they crashed out in qualifying to the Honduras side that just slew Spain (Juan Mata was the only Spain over-age player I recognized), and yes, even the younger spain players yell at the refs. Mata was the coolest head of the lot.

Some even say that olympic qualifying is harder than WC qualifying, because only 12 or 16 teams make the olympics, as opposed to 32 for the WC.

Loved watching the Women's GB-Brazil game, as I have most of the olympic soccer on TV. I admit, I do watch a lot of the women's game, for some reason I enjoy it... though that game I saw a name I'd not recognized before, I was impressed by the GB's Kim Little (tidy little player, she seems to be only about 4' tall!). Especially one moment when she was trying to collect a ball while shieiding off Aline, who appeared tos tand about 3 feet taller than her, and drew the foul.

The European part of the Olympic football qualifying was done based on the top three teams from last summer's European U21 championships. Hence the involvement of Spain, Switzerland & Belarus. Looking forward to the GB/Uruguay game tonight, mostly been Bellamy carrying the team through so far though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived