BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gb Olympic Squad

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im personally extremely angry hes been left out. After all hes done for football in the UK, Olympic bid, charity and sport in general its outrageous hes been left out.

Total lack of respect by Pearce who In my opinion is a clueless manager.

Absolutely correct that Beckham not choosen.

Shouldn't be based on sentiment but those choosen should still be at the top of their game.

This tweet sums it up best for me:

Phil McNulty@philmcnulty

Cannot agree with those who believe Beckham should be rewarded for bring Games to London otherwise Lord Coe would be running 1,500 metres

Pearce is a tw@. I wanted to see Beckham play again, not Micah bloody Richards with some pinch-faced loon going berserk at him from the touchline, taking it all far too seriously.

Beckham would have been a good embodiment of the Olympic spirit, if there is such a thing. On telly the other day there was a load of fuss over the 100m squad - 'should Adam Gemili stick to the juniors' or 'can Dwain Chambers get the qualifying time' - when in reality both of them are utterly hopeless at international level, and Jamaica could field 20 guys who can run faster in their sleep.

I thought it was supposed to be fun! Next thing they'll be applying ruthless selection criteria for the paralympics.

Can only hope that Beckham has been left out through injury. If it's some statement by Pearce to show his management credentials then he must be convinced he can win the competition.

Oh and if "Britain" win the Olympic football gold medal...

...who cares?

Shouldn't be based on sentiment but those choosen should still be at the top of their game.

Phil McNulty@philmcnulty

Cannot agree with those who believe Beckham should be rewarded for bring Games to London otherwise Lord Coe would be running 1,500 metres

Nonsense, the football is clearly a sop to commercial pressure as there's no way it should be an olympic sport.

Shame a place couldn't be found for Beckham, but then, as others have said, Pearce is a donkey of a manager anyway. How the hell he's risen to his current position I don't know, I guess they're appointing him based on past performance as a player. Shame he couldn't extend the same to Beckham.

Phil McNulty@philmcnulty

Yes I agree with you and Phil McNulty. Why not also trot out Allan Wells for the sprint relay, Daley Thomson for the decathlon and Steve Redgrave for the coxless fours? Beckham 'announcing' that he hasn't been selected sums up the arrogance of prima donna footballers.

Beckham is an 'embodiment of the Olympic spirit'.

:lol:

I explained that right afterwards, assuming you're 'LOLing' at my previous comment.

The notion that's it's the taking part that counts, as in GB sending 100m sprinters who couldn't break 10 seconds if they were being chased by a pack of rabid pit bulls, plus countless other hopeless cases who are only there to make up the numbers.

Not that I'm equating Beckham with that type of athlete, but the most memorable parts of several Olympics have been the weird, the unusual, the noble losers - Erics the Eel / Eagle, Paula Radcliffe bawling again, broken runners getting helped over the line, etc.

Selecting the world's most famous footballer for the media to fawn over would have been a good idea.

I have tickets for the first GB game at Old Trafford but had already stated that I wouldn't be going if Beckham was playing. He wouldn't be there for the right reasons. Everything he does is about Brand Beckham and none of it is to do with what's good for the team. I know he's incredibly popular and plenty of people think he's great, but I just don't get it. Big ego and very little substance to back it up.

Just don't think football, tennis or road race cycling should be at the Olympics. These are professional sports for the masses already I would much sooner the spectacle was given to the likes of Holly Bleasdale than Beckham.

Bit annoyed about the three players were taking mainly due to euro 2012 being the worst tournament ive ever witnessed with no team playing well, was looking forward to football over the summer. As for the rest of the London Olympics I couldn't careless.

Why would it?

Because you want stories at the olympics. Former England captain coming home for one last hurrah would have been a good story, especially if he'd scored a free kick or something.

Better than having the country represented by a weasel-faced Welsh turd who once assaulted a teammate with a golf club. Or a guy who knobbed his sister in law. Or a defender so unreliable, he couldn't get in a mediocre squad for euro 2012.

Stories at the Olympics aren't made by people like Beckham. They are made by little people performing out of their skins and capturing the imagination even if they fail. Beckham doesn't need the Olympics and the Olympics don't need Beckham.

Stories at the Olympics aren't made by people like Beckham. They are made by little people performing out of their skins and capturing the imagination even if they fail. Beckham doesn't need the Olympics and the Olympics don't need Beckham.

Archived