BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

5 players transfer listed

chaddyrovers

How much can you rely on those who got us relegated in the first place (Kean aside here)? I do think we need to keep hold of Givet at all costs but you can't just meet the terms of one person or that'll cause even more unrest with the other players. Personally I would try to keep them happy with some sort of incentive or big bonus if they won us promotion or a wage increase on X date if we were top three or something.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of keeping our experienced players but I still maintain that they played their part in getting us relegated and they knew the terms of their contracts.

It isn't like other relegated clubs won't have done the same.

Yeah, well what you're now saying is that the club should negotiate with the players - which I agree with. That's a long way from the position of "they signed their contract, tough!" stance others are taking.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have no problem offering them bonus related terms if promotion is achieved but how many of them can look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave 100% for the club we love last season.

I have no problem giving the likes of murphy etuhu and best the money they are getting to get us out of the ###### the players who have been well paid by us for years have been getting. Do you really think MGP,Dann,Dunn and Robinson deserve to be on premiership wages.

Not saying tough at all! Just saying the players should not demand and increase as it was their contribution that led to this situation! I'm all for negotiation but so long as the players understand that it comes with some conditions such as performances!

Agree with buck and dub!! Its like having a looney foreman giving instructions to qualified builders on how to build a house...yes the brunt is with the foreman or coco in this case but the players also didnt get the job done!! so what do you do?? you say 'cheers lads you got us in a right mess so now were gonna employ boys that can get the job done to cover your mess!!'

Let them take responsibility for once and suck it up!!

I'm afraid if you knew your pay would be cut if the team were to be relegated, proceeded to sign along the dotted line, then that would be an incentive to do everything I can for that season to remain in the league.

It's not all about finances of the club, it's just about as much as providing incentives to players to do their utmost to remain in the league, den.

I'm sorry, but too many times I watched the players make numerous mistakes game after game: misplaced passes, lack of ingenuity, poor shooting. Players like Yakubu and Hoilett still managed to perform despite Kean, so there's no excuse for anyone else.

They are getting paid less now because they failed to perform when the club needed them most. On the other hand, players like Danny Murphy are getting the big wages because they showed last season they can do the business in their old clubs, and even in pre-season it sounds like they are far better performance-wise than the old guard.

I can understand they would be frustrated, but I hope we don't just throw contracts at them to make them happy. They should be handed conditional contracts with pay rises and bonuses if they help the club achieve promotion.

I think you're seriously underestimating the role the manager plays in a team. Look at Chelsea's defence and keeper under Mourinho compared to AVB.....under the latter they made individual mistakes all the time....bad tactics and organisation cause individual mistakes, the players aren't confident in the system......when did Salgado ever make mistakes under Allardyce?

Imo Givet should be given what he wants which wasn't it a 25% wage rise after it was cut?.....Robbo, Dann, Dunn and Pedersen are all replaceable and we wouldn't miss any of them too much. If Martin Olsson miraculously stays he can get a rise as well if he is going to be played on the wing.

They are built into their contracts. I am not suggesting that Venky's should give them pay rises but players being players they aren't happy that they are on a lot less money than some of their new team mates, this kinda thing can only have a detremental effect on team morale/spirit which is already at a low after relegation.

Tough. Whilst we can apparently afford (and sorely need) a few new players to have any chance of returning to the Premiership (where I'm sure the players would all again have Premiership wages), there's absolutely no way the club can afford to pay their old wages, or, I would imagine, give even half of the difference back. That's the whole reason the wage cuts are built in. If they're going to sulk about it (and potentially ruin their careers as we malinger in the Championship or lower), that's very unfortunate, but it's just tough titty. It would be financial ruin to sanction wage rises all round, it's as simple as that.

IF i failed big time one year I would not be rude enough and ask for more money even if a new colleague came in and got more money than me.

Perhaps they believe it was down to gross mismanagement rather than themselves?

The likes of MGP had never been relegated before.

Surprising that Givet isn't amongst them. Does this mean he has come to an agreement with the club after his own salary?

This was always going to come up as a problem but it's their own fault, you sign a contract with certain clauses then you should take what comes with it, anything else happening is irelevent

The only one id make an effort to match up with the new players is Givet

Exactly. Apart from Givet, because you're just invalidating your argument there. You can't make exceptions, no way no how.

But back to your main point- there are things about my contract at work I don't like, including the god awful wage, which is considerably lower than a footballer's. But there's nothing I can do about it. I read it all very carefully and still signed it.

i think all the players played below what they are able to do. That is down to Kean.

Kean being the manger created a bad atmosphere at the club, on and off the pitch. Pedersen can still takke a good corner and free kick. Is still a good striker of the ball. But for some reason - Kean / atmosphere or other reasons - is not doing so.

Oh come the hell on, the reason for Pedersen not taking good corners and free kicks anymore is simple- his own shocking inconsistency. It's been the case for many years, it isn't just because Venkys and Kean rolled into town.

I can understand those of relegation clauses getting narked if someone new comes in on higher wages - even if I don't agree with them.

However, if MGP is transfer listed why would the club even consider his demands?

As others have said, the only one who should have his relegation pay cut reviewed is Givet (and possibly Robbo).

3 years older with more experience? I was mainly thinking about Cech, Terry and A Cole.

Which would be fine, except Terry was now over thirty and his back problems meant he wasn't the same player. also Cech and Cole weren't bad players under AVB.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic, it's just not as clear cut as you made it out to be. I still agree that a manager should bear the blame for a woeful goals conceded record like ours.

Perhaps they believe it was down to gross mismanagement rather than themselves?

The likes of MGP had never been relegated before.

Surprising that Givet isn't amongst them. Does this mean he has come to an agreement with the club after his own salary?

IMO, they've forfeited their right to that argument by virtue of the fact that they never revolted about it. Players always came out and supported the manager, and as far as we can tell, they never got together as a group and went to Venkys to say 'listen, this guy is a clown and we can't do our jobs properly, get shut will you?'

This kind of rebellion has happened against far better managers. But our players all made out like everything was hunky dory.

I'm afraid if you knew your pay would be cut if the team were to be relegated, proceeded to sign along the dotted line, then that would be an incentive to do everything I can for that season to remain in the league.

It's not all about finances of the club, it's just about as much as providing incentives to players to do their utmost to remain in the league, den.

So you would be happy to sell them?

It's either negotiate or sell them. Tieing them to half wages and not letting them go would do no-one any good.

Obviously I don't want to sell them. I think this issue was unavoidable, as there was always going to be players unhappy with their wage cuts.

Indeed, which raises the question- how do other clubs deal with this? Relegation wage cut clauses are commonplace.

Indeed, which raises the question- how do other clubs deal with this? Relegation wage cut clauses are commonplace.

They don't bring in players, who have done nothing for the club yet, on hugely bigger wages, while putting other players who have been at the club for a number of seasons [good and bad] with the club, onto hugely inferior wages. It's about having chairmen and staff at the club who know what they're doing.

Which would be fine, except Terry was now over thirty and his back problems meant he wasn't the same player. also Cech and Cole weren't bad players under AVB.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic, it's just not as clear cut as you made it out to be. I still agree that a manager should bear the blame for a woeful goals conceded record like ours.

Ok fine......they made more individual mistakes under AVB than under Di Matteo.....I'm not saying they were bad players, just that they made more mistakes....and this is down to the tactics.

Salgado was one of our best players until Kean came where he gradually became worse and mistakes started to creep into his game.....obviously Salgado made the mistakes but the manager is at fault as well.

Have a look at our squad who out of the players would be in a so called delegation after having money cut after out relegation

1. Robinson- Seemed genuinely upset by relegation and has been a decent keeper for us. On around £40k in the prem with Bunn and Keane coming through no to a raise for me.

2. Givet- No idea what was on in prem but deserves to have his situation resolved a true warrior.

3. Dann- Should hand back every penny he has stolen from the club since he came in.

4. Olsson- If he's gonna stay and be commited then prob deserves to keep his wages.

5. Dunn- should be happy to still be taking a wage all the times the clubs paid him for being injured and contributing nothing.

6. MGP- Great guy and years of service but for the last few years has not offered much on around 50k in the prem would you honestly talk to him about it.

7. The likes of Hanley and Lowe harsh on them as they tried hard and were let down by some awful management and senior pro's not trying and others refusing to play don't know how much their wages will have fallen tho.

So who out of the delegation would you pay more to or let go.

Robinson is a high earner and suffers greatly from Kean's tactics.....let him leave and keep Bunn and Kean....have Bunn as No.1 providing he plays well.

I'd offer Givet what he wanted.....clearly our best defender.....the more I think about Samba's weaknesses, the more I think he has been our best defender in recent seasons.

Dann should make a public apology for his performances last season.....play him the first couple matches of the season......if he is still poor, try and get rid and get a replacement in.

Olsson can keep his wage....he won't be one of our highest earners....I'd tell him Sweden are short of left backs anyway and there is a chance he could keep his place......and then promise him that he would be played on the wing this season, meaning he would be getting a move to a big club soon enough and probably starting on Sweden's left wing.

Good point about Dunn, tell him his mate Kean can lend him the money.

Pedersen should be on 15, not 50 grand a week.....and that's being generous.

Don't know what the deal is with the young players, surely they would also get a pay cut but the difference won't be too much.....Hanley and Henley can get their full wage back.......I don't think Rochina is on much, but Vukcevic, Petrovic and Formica might be some of the players......if it's a 40% wage cut, then I would negotiate most at 20%.....Givet can have whatever....Dann and Pedersen should count themselves lucky it's only 40%.

Wolves offered new deals to everyone in their squad who was due a drop, but they wanted to keep at the beginning of summer, so it's not exactly new territory. I don't understand why no one at Rovers had dealt with this before now.

I suspect the wages increases are designed to take the players back to their previous levels from last season.

If you have ever worked somewhere, then found a new starter is earning more than you for doing the exact same job, then you would have more empathy of the players position on this.

But if yo

Wolves offered new deals to everyone in their squad who was due a drop, but they wanted to keep at the beginning of summer, so it's not exactly new territory. I don't understand why no one at Rovers had dealt with this before now.

I suspect the wages increases are designed to take the players back to their previous levels from last season.

If you have ever worked somewhere, then found a new starter is earning more than you for doing the exact same job, then you would have more empathy of the players position on this.

But at the end of the day my performances had put the business in huge trouble and the new employees were brought in to possibly save my company and help secure my future i might be more inclined to accept the situation.

Plus for many of these players i'd imagine what we are paying them is still of a level that other teams would not pay them after last years dismal performances.

But if yo

But at the end of the day my performances had put the business in huge trouble and the new employees were brought in to possibly save my company and help secure my future i might be more inclined to accept the situation.

So sell 'em. and then what?

Archived