BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Agnew/Shaw versus Currie/Battersby

I'm afraid it does in my eyes. If you have spent your life watching, and you cannot due personal issues or a boycott due to the direction of the club - Fair enough.

But essentially, I would describe people without season tickets as fans.... not supporters.

Amazing. I'll let my lad know he's wasted 22 years following Rovers and clearly is no longer a supporter.

I have to disagree with you 100%

Yes, correct.

stunned by that den.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid it does in my eyes. If you have spent your life watching, and you cannot due personal issues or a boycott due to the direction of the club - Fair enough.

But essentially, I would describe people without season tickets as fans.... not supporters.

I barely missed a game from the late 60's to the Don McKay era. Never had a season ticket until then and only started buying them because the queues were getting a bit long at the cash turnstiles. After that it made sense to get one as the gates were on the up. I did see myself as a supporter amongst the other 5-6000 though!

I barely missed a game from the late 60's to the Don McKay era. Never had a season ticket until then and only started buying them because the queues were getting a bit long at the cash turnstiles. After that it made sense to get one as the gates were on the up. I did see myself as a supporter amongst the other 5-6000 though!

Of course you are a supporter. For me to come to ewood park it is a 610 mile round trip. I come up when I can. But apparently that does not make me a supporter.

Some people can't cross the street to come.

I always had a season ticket while in England. Now I live in Australia I don't. So I'm not a fan?

In the 80s I knew people who went to every home game and always paid on the gate. It would have made financial sense to buy a ST but they wanted to pay full match day price for every game to help SUPPORT the club financially.

With todays massively discounted ST prices it could be argued that anybody buying a ST is NOT truly supporting the club, certainly not financially.

Of course you are a supporter. For me to come to ewood park it is a 610 mile round trip. I come up when I can. But apparently that does not make me a supporter.

Some people can't cross the street to come.

I guess we're still off topic then!

If you want a thread of who's a supporter, who's not, I'm a better fan than you cause I remember Jim Fryatt but you don't, start one.

I must be a super fan by the way, cause I've an 1800 mile round trip for home games but it's only a mere 1400 to Bristol on Saturday!

Why can a specific thread with a specific topic not stay as such?

If you have spent your life watching, and you cannot due personal issues or a boycott due to the direction of the club - Fair enough

Quote myself to re-iterate my stance. My general problem is with those you mention

- who will not cross the road to watch the game, yet buy the shirt every few years and maybe try and get the odd ticket. These are not supporters, unless they have general personal reasons (like I originally said; if you cannot for personal reasons such as travel distance, cost, access etc or boycotters due to this regime, then I would not compare you in this statement)

Too many "fairweather" football fans. Granted, our situation is strange - we still have the same "fans" dropping off just as quickly as they jumped on the 90s band wagon.

Quote myself to re-iterate my stance. My general problem is with those you mention

- who will not cross the road to watch the game, yet buy the shirt every few years and maybe try and get the odd ticket. These are not supporters, unless they have general personal reasons (like I originally said; if you cannot for personal reasons such as travel distance, cost, access etc or boycotters due to this regime, then I would not compare you in this statement)

Too many "fairweather" football fans. Granted, our situation is strange - we still have the same "fans" dropping off just as quickly as they jumped on the 90s band wagon.

Biz, WTF are you on about?

I may have missed your train of thought but I guess you are somewhat perplexed by Agnew and Shaw in their respective positions at

the Club and don't consider them to be suitably qualified to fulfil the role?

Darren, were Currie/Battersby actually ever rebuffed by Venky's or did communication simply end with them after that initial meeting in Pune? From what you're saying, I am then assuming that Currie/Battersby didn't go to Pune to just discuss the club in an informal manner, but were there to put themselves as candidates to become Directors at Rovers.

How did they find themselves in such a position in the first place? Given the link to Jerome Anderson, is it fair to assume that just as Steve Kean was recommended to the Raos to take over as manager, JA then also recommended Currie & Battersby as Directors? I think the links between all parties should be clarified to all supporters, especially if we are to try and move on from the last 2 years of rumour-mongering and mistrust.

Personally, and I would guess most average Rovers fans would be in the same boat, I don't know enough about Agnew/Shaw and Currie/Battersby to really make any sort of judgment call. All we hear is heresay from people about them.

The question for me would be... what can Currie/Battersby offer as Directors of a football club? Do they have any experience? Why should they be considered as better candidates for the role? From what I know it seems Agnew & Shaw have more experience of working with football clubs and would therefore be better placed for the Director role.

At the end of the day what matters to football fans is that the club is run responsibly and respectfuly off the pitch, and the team on the pitch wears the blue and white halves with pride, put in good performances, and most importantly win.

Biz, WTF are you on about?

I may have missed your train of thought but I guess you are somewhat perplexed by Agnew and Shaw in their respective positions at

the Club and don't consider them to be suitably qualified to fulfil the role?

Apologies, my point is rather off topic. I was referring to PAFELL's point about supporters not needing to attending games. I disagree with it personally. The responses I recieved where generally "oh so cos I dont wanna watch SK's team i'm not a supporter?" - Hence me requoting myself.

I am of the same opinion on the IB and IC being more emotionally connected to the club for it to prosper.

stunned by that den.

:D - I'm not using the word "fan" in a derogatory way Paul. I can only consider myself a fan at the moment. How am I supporting the club, when I'm putting nothing into it? To me supporters literally put something in, be it support in attendance or support financially. It's only a technical view and doesn't reflect badly on anyone.

How am I supporting the club, when I'm putting nothing into it? To me supporters literally put something in, be it support in attendance or support financially.

An accurate description imo, and the above is an accurate explanation. Pauls getting all uppity for no reason other than semantics. I too consider myself a fan of BRFC but am no longer 'supporting' the club per se.

An accurate description imo, and the above is an accurate explanation. Pauls getting all uppity for no reason other than semantics. I too consider myself a fan of BRFC but am no longer 'supporting' the club per se.

Uppity? Do me a favour and find someone else to prod in the hope of getting attention.

Den's a good friend and I was surprised by his post. I see exactly what he's driving at though I'd never made the distinction myself.

All the millions of Man Utd "supporters" bugged me Paul. I had to tell 'em that they weren't supporters because they never got off their backsides to actually go and watch them. Told 'em they weren't supporters, they were only fans!

Darren, were Currie/Battersby actually ever rebuffed by Venky's or did communication simply end with them after that initial meeting in Pune? From what you're saying, I am then assuming that Currie/Battersby didn't go to Pune to just discuss the club in an informal manner, but were there to put themselves as candidates to become Directors at Rovers.

How did they find themselves in such a position in the first place? Given the link to Jerome Anderson, is it fair to assume that just as Steve Kean was recommended to the Raos to take over as manager, JA then also recommended Currie & Battersby as Directors? I think the links between all parties should be clarified to all supporters, especially if we are to try and move on from the last 2 years of rumour-mongering and mistrust.

Personally, and I would guess most average Rovers fans would be in the same boat, I don't know enough about Agnew/Shaw and Currie/Battersby to really make any sort of judgment call. All we hear is heresay from people about them.

The question for me would be... what can Currie/Battersby offer as Directors of a football club? Do they have any experience? Why should they be considered as better candidates for the role? From what I know it seems Agnew & Shaw have more experience of working with football clubs and would therefore be better placed for the Director role.

At the end of the day what matters to football fans is that the club is run responsibly and respectfuly off the pitch, and the team on the pitch wears the blue and white halves with pride, put in good performances, and most importantly win.

There is alot of going over old ground here.There is a very informative podcast in the archive on here which is over an hour of quite enthralling stuff with Battersby facing questions from Wen Y Hu and others.Its quite interesting to listen to again 6 months after it was recorded given how things have come to pass. It is Podcast 23 .Alot of the stuff raised on this MB now was answered back then .

Archived