BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Electronic cigarettes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I have contains a battery which heats up some liquid containing nicotine and you inhale the vapour it produces. No smoke as there is no tobacco and nothing is burnt. You don't inhale any nasties and the artificial smoke is just water vapour. There's lots of tales on the Internet about it being harmful but I do wonder how many of these may be being promoted by the tobacco companies as if these take off then they would lose a lot of revenue, not to mention tax which the government would receive. Anyway, it's working for me and I have stopped smoking tobacco. Do a google search if your interested pal, I get mine from here http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/

I've got one of these to cut down , with a view to giving up seems to work, well more than anything else I've tried over the years. Only problem over here is that by law nobody can sell the liquid capsules that contain nicotine, so its just a choice of flavoured liquids that create the vapour some are vile tasting though, Menthol flavour is ok and a couple of the imitation tobacco flavours.

Agree with you Darwen Blue seems to work ok and great for winding people up in restaurant's, when they come over and tell you it's no smoking.

I've got one, over 6 weeks since my last proper fag, and my outgoings have gone down from £40 a week to £4.

Feel like I should be on commission, got 6 people at work on them too

Jim, I tried a mates e cig at work without intending to give up smoking. I enjoyed it so bought one intending to use it side by side with real cigs in situations where you couldn't smoke. The night after I bought my own I used it whilst smoking a roll up and preferred the e cig and I haven't had a real one since! I think that the owners of companies such as the one I mentioned are sat on a gold mine, obviously any future tax or regulation issues considered!

what flavours have you tried ODB? The original tobacco that came with mine wasn't brilliant, found blended virginia much nicer. I've also tried strawberry and cola, the strawberry was a bit too sweet, but I still have the cola one now and again for a change, it tastes of cola Mr Freezes!!

The pre mixed blended Virginia is awesome. Winston is good also and I've branched out into some of the fruitier types now. Sarsaparilla is recommended. I'm heading into mixing my own liquid now and the costs keep reducing by doing so. Much better than those nasty fags, eight days now tobacco free and I feel a lot better!

I've got one of these to cut down , with a view to giving up seems to work, well more than anything else I've tried over the years. Only problem over here is that by law nobody can sell the liquid capsules that contain nicotine, so its just a choice of flavoured liquids that create the vapour some are vile tasting though, Menthol flavour is ok and a couple of the imitation tobacco flavours.

Agree with you Darwen Blue seems to work ok and great for winding people up in restaurant's, when they come over and tell you it's no smoking.

I don't understand why the nicotine capsules would be illegal? Surely it's the tobacco not the nicotine that's physically dangerous?

Iv'e no idea mate the only actual official reason's I can find is that because it resembles a "real cigarette" the nicotine can lead to children trying them and buying the real things there is also some concern about leakage and ingesting high quantities of nicotine in one go.. I think its more to do with them not having laws to tax nicotine liquid.

We can get other things that contain nicotine like gum etc, and it is not illegal to buy the ecigarette capsules containing nicotine liquid , but is illegal to sell it, so lots of people import it and long as its for your own consumption that seems to be tolerated.

• 2 weeks later...

When going into petrol stations I see a lot of the cigarette imitations on full display and there was a stand in fishergate shopping centre in Preston last week. Looks like the manufacturers are getting their product more prominent now.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear you guys are giving up! Stoptober has been mega busy.

With the e-cigs the research is a little limited at the moment. Just do a bit of digging into what's contained in the capsules as some do still contain some nasty chemicals, but still a lot better than smoking!

With the smoking them inside thing this is as debate I had with the fire officer at work. There is no reason that you shouldn't smoke them inside, they give off no smoke just a water vapour. Better that you show you are giving up then go outside smoking!

We raised this last night at the Fans Forum. At the moment the club do not have an official policy (and neither do most other clubs) and there is no FL guidance. One of the problems is that some fans are smoking regular cigarettes and keeping an electronic one in their pocket to produce when challenged by a steward.

As it happens the cigarettes are produced in Blackburn and one company has approached the club to produce a Rovers branded product. This is being considered at the moment.

There is no reason to not allow e cig vaping into a ground or indeed any building as they aren't illegal according to legislation and cause no harm whatsoever to others, (until proven otherwise!)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/28/part/1

I do however suspect that if this takes off in a big way, as I suspect, then the government will start to tax it

Anyway, after 35 years smoking I haven't touched or wanted to touch a cigarette for 28 days now so I'm happy..

Hey there, I lurk these boards and post infrequently but thought I'd stick me oar in just to re-iterate how easy it is to give up smoking with these devices... I kicked a 20 a day habit without even trying (eros-kit) and feel healthier than ever...

Been 'vaping' for over a year now so would be happy to help or field any questions for newbies...

Also thought I'd share an offer at www.miragecigarettes.co.uk (my quality local vendor) - 25% off all starter kits till the end of the month (code: spooky25 at the checkout)

(Mods please feel free to remove/edit if this breaks any advertising/marketing rules what have you)

RTID - vape on!

A lot of my friends are currently smoking this. One of them mentioned though, that they contain a lot of nasty chemicals which are more harmful than smoking. Also said that smoking the e-cig along with a normal cigarette, is even more harmful.

I would urge caution on these and carry out thorough research before taking them up.

A lot of my friends are currently smoking this. One of them mentioned though, that they contain a lot of nasty chemicals which are more harmful than smoking. Also said that smoking the e-cig along with a normal cigarette, is even more harmful.

I would urge caution on these and carry out thorough research before taking them up.

They contain chemicals used in food. Beware the arguments from the tobacco industry and I rhetorically wonder why? Anyway each to their own, 31 days now and no fags.

Can anyone confirm if the "water vapour" given off is as harmless as the description suggests?

Back in the early to mid 20th Century, cigarettes were actually promoted as being good for you - health-giving even. Look how wrong that was.

I maybe a prude on this but I don't like people "smoking" these things near me, any more than normal cigarettes, and I wouldn't be happy with them being used indoors - certainly not at work.

Kudos to people using these to quit but I get the impression some see these as something to switch to rather than a temporary measure. Given they aren't currently taxed I'm guessing the work out a lot cheaper than cigarettes?

Can anyone confirm if the "water vapour" given off is as harmless as the description suggests?

Back in the early to mid 20th Century, cigarettes were actually promoted as being good for you - health-giving even. Look how wrong that was.

I maybe a prude on this but I don't like people "smoking" these things near me, any more than normal cigarettes, and I wouldn't be happy with them being used indoors - certainly not at work.

Kudos to people using these to quit but I get the impression some see these as something to switch to rather than a temporary measure. Given they aren't currently taxed I'm guessing the work out a lot cheaper than cigarettes?

Truth is there isn't enough evidence yet to say wether they are healthy yet, that will take time to assess, however cancer uk says they are healthier than smoking cigarettes and Id trust them as an independant voice. I also would say science is likely to be better than in the 50's now too, so I would doubt anything massively wrong would be found now. I too think the 'health issues' may originate from both the tobacco industry and also hardened smokers who don't want to quit.

I too wouldn't want someone smoking these in the office, or in my car, as the vapour does smell.

Archived