BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Black Players Association

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20048531

Peter Herbert of the Black Lawyers Assoc says "the new organisation would provide a more 'radical' and 'vigorous' approach to combating racism."

How so? The title and concept is completely racist in itself! :wstu: Anyway at least white footballers can now have a 'White Footballers Association' of their own too without it raising any objections. :tu:

Anyone know if the White Lawyers have formed their own assoc yet?

The world is going mad. I've recently said on here that there is no REAL racism in football these days, but it appears the black guys are determined to introduce it.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20048531

"Herbert says the new organisation would provide a more "radical" and "vigorous" approach to combating racism."

How so? The title and concept is completely racist in itself! :wstu:

Anyway at least white footballers can now have a 'White Footballers Association' of their own too without it raising any objections. :tu:

:lol:

I seriously hope that white players do the same.

I've recently said on here that there is no REAL racism in football these days,

Sadly there is still racism in football - John Terry is proof of that. The Chelsea scumbag has set the anti-racism fight back 20 years in this country.

Sadly there is still racism in football - John Terry is proof of that. The Chelsea scumbag has set the anti-racism fight back 20 years in this country.

Hardly hard core racism is it? A few choice words said in the heat of the moment, I'm sure it cuts both ways. Maybe not what one expects from a Captain of England but then he didn't make himself Captain did he? The blame for that can be laid at the feet of the gin swilling mandarins at the FA who should allow no one to Captain the country who pronounce 'th' as 'f' and remove the letter 't' at every opportunity.... not to mention choosing the hair style of an average dolloper.

• Backroom

Hardly hard core racism is it? A few choice words said in the heat of the moment, I'm sure it cuts both ways. Maybe not what one expects from a Captain of England but then he didn't make himself Captain did he? The blame for that can be laid at the feet of the gin swilling mandarins at the FA who should allow no one to Captain the country who pronounce 'th' as 'f' and remove the letter 't' at every opportunity.... not to mention choosing the hair style of an average dolloper.

He didn't make himself captain, no. But he was MADE a captain and didn't act with the decorum of a captain, choosing to Kean his mates missus and racially abuse another mate's brother....

Quite why regional accent and hairdo matter to you baffles me.

Absolutely spot on.

"How are we going to get rid of racism?"

"Stop talking about it."

However, playing devil's advocate, I can understand a reason for pro-"minority" groups. It's like letting go of a see-saw that has been weighted on one side: before it can balance, the beam will first go down on the opposite side...

there will always be racism, but is the answer to solving the problem, creating a player union for blacks only.? wouldnt that be fighting racism with racism, so to speak.?

I think Black players are having one because they were persecuted for around 500 years because of the colour of their skin, the same can't really be said for white people.

People are right to want to continue to stamp it out because contrary to what others are saying it's still alive and kicking, as the article says over the last 12 months there have been 3 high profile cases in Suarez, Terry and the U21's game, it happens far more frequently over the rest of Europe.

• Backroom

While I am against racism, I think a Black Players Association is frankly absolutely idiotic. As if racism hasn't been highlighted enough recently? So what shall we do? We shall exclude white players from our organisation, that'll show 'em!! Fighting fire with fire comes to mind. As I recall, that particular fireman was killed.

What needs to happen is for punishments to be absolutely severe and in the same (or even harsher) light as racism in the traditional workplace. A little harsh, but it gets the point across: Ban Terry and Suarez from playing professionally in England. Ban Serbia from competing internationally for a decade.

If I racially abused a fellow student, my uni would kick me out, it's heavily unlikely another uni would take me and I'd possibly face a spell in gaol. If I racially abused a gardening colleague, I'd be sacked on the spot, no questions asked. The same should apply to footballers.

While I am against racism, I think a Black Players Association is frankly absolutely idiotic. As if racism hasn't been highlighted enough recently? So what shall we do? We shall exclude white players from our organisation, that'll show 'em!! Fighting fire with fire comes to mind. As I recall, that particular fireman was killed.

What needs to happen is for punishments to be absolutely severe and in the same (or even harsher) light as racism in the traditional workplace. A little harsh, but it gets the point across: Ban Terry and Suarez from playing professionally in England. Ban Serbia from competing internationally for a decade.

If I racially abused a fellow student, my uni would kick me out, it's heavily unlikely another uni would take me and I'd possibly face a spell in gaol. If I racially abused a gardening colleague, I'd be sacked on the spot, no questions asked. The same should apply to footballers.

Definitely agree with that and it would certainly put a stop to it a lot quicker. There's just no comparison in football to how racism is treated in other places of work. The biggest joke is get caught chanting racist comments from the crowd and you face a lifetime ban, do it on the pitch and you might get 4 games.

• Backroom

It's a difficult situation for black footballers. A portion of them clearly feel the FA isn't doing enough to combat racism, but is separation the answer? I personally don't think so. I can certainly see why some of them feel that way, though.

I would find it absolutely preposterous, if a player got a year long ban, for saying something in the heat of the moment, but another could takcle someone in the heat of the moment, break his leg and end up serving a 3 match suspension.

It's a difficult situation for black footballers. A portion of them clearly feel the FA isn't doing enough to combat racism, but is separation the answer? I personally don't think so. I can certainly see why some of them feel that way, though.

so if Terry wants to form a white only gang that would be good?

what next a Green only one for Shrek?

an ugly managers club for Dowie?

a brown only a yellow only ...

• Backroom

so if Terry wants to form a white only gang that would be good?

what next a Green only one for Shrek?

an ugly managers club for Dowie?

a brown only a yellow only ...

That is indeed exactly what I said, Abbs. Thanks for spelling it out.

There are a few strange situations around, think if a white player refused to wear the "kick it out" t-shirt...

I actually have nothing against the idea of a black footballers union to promote and recognise achievement and combat discrimination where it blocks opportunities.

What i have a problem with is that it is now free reign for black players to say whatever they want on the pitch to wind up opponents and all it takes is the word black: bang - :wacko: sent off or a retrospective ban of at least 4 games and probably more. The FA has stated that mitigating circumstances do not matter, so get ready for cases where player a describes in detail what he will do to player b's son/daughter but player b gets sent off and banned for calling him a (physical characterisic) kean...

What is "hard core racism". Is black c*** (Terry's words) not offensive enough ?

Doesn't matter if the word is black, white or whatever the insult is only in the word c***. Like when Cantona assaulted Simmons and the defence argument was that he reacted cos he had been called a 'French motherKeaner' which was ludicrously deemed racist. The only insult possible was in the MF term.

Also as far as I am concerned hard core racism is a gangs premeditated beating up an individual because of his skin colour. Heat of the moment verbal insults should be treated as just that.

I'd wager you wouldn't get chucked out if you simply punched someone on the nose as long as he had the same colour of skin.

I would find it absolutely preposterous, if a player got a year long ban, for saying something in the heat of the moment, but another could takcle someone in the heat of the moment, break his leg and end up serving a 3 match suspension.

Spot on.

Doesn't matter if the word is black, white or whatever the insult is only in the word c***.

That's the point though isn't it. The word black was used as an insult otherwise it wouldn't have been mentioned. Put anything in place of the word black in his insult and the only words that make sense in its place are derogatory. You fat c***; you ugly c***.

I'm fine with black players forming a union and making a stand against the wider football community turning a blind eye to racism. Let's not forget many within UEFA have stated that there is no racism in football, which watching games played in Eastern Europe shows clearly isn't the case. Players and fans should be held accountable for racism and locked up. There is no excuse for such ignorance in this day and age, we live in a global community.

And as for if black players have a group white players should too... That's just nonsense. These people's forefathers were taken from their homes and treated as dogs by a more technologically and socially advanced race and/or publicly degraded for having the audacity not to be dead. If some moron hurls racist language at them they've got the right to get a bit touchy, if not for the insult itself then for the lack of respect for what their people have been through.

Absolutely spot on.

"How are we going to get rid of racism?"

"Stop talking about it."

In an ideal world he's right, but racism is so ingrained in a number of people that stopping talking about it would just equate to ignoring it.

However, playing devil's advocate, I can understand a reason for pro-"minority" groups. It's like letting go of a see-saw that has been weighted on one side: before it can balance, the beam will first go down on the opposite side...

That's a perfect analogy for the way things have to work in the real world.

So many ignorant opinions, so many ignorant people. Reading this thread makes me mighty relieved it's been years since I lived in Blackburn.

Like the poster above me correctly implied in his argument (I honestly can't believe it took so long for someone to state the obvious), the reason there's no "white players association" is because white football players weren't subject to terrace abuse for the colour of their skin in the 70s and 80s. White football players don't get made monkey noises at in Serbia or have bananas thrown at them in football matches in Spain. I'm not saying racism against white football players has never happened, but it's extremely rare. It's the same reason there's a "gay pride" but no "straight pride". It's completely appropriate that minorities which have had a history of persecution show solidarity to try and ensure the same doesn't happen again.

And actually, racism is a far more dangerous form of abuse than many other types of abuse because of the historical context. Have fat people ever been segregated or made to go to separate schools? Has any group ever tried to kick ugly people out of its country? Has there been a history of ginger people being enslaved? The more abuse like this gets repeated and becomes acceptable, the more it brings about a culture where the things I mentioned becomes acceptable again. How hard is it to not use racist insults?

Oh and the "MOBO awards" example is the most ill informed rubbish someone can come out with. Not a big fan of the awards themselves as those who win them tend to be a bit rubbish, but it's "Music of Black Origin" - plenty of white artists have won them in the past but it's for genres of music eg hip hop, soul, r n b etc that are considered to be of "Black origin". Now if I was being pedantic rock n roll also has black origins but that doesn't change the fact it's a genre specific not race specific awards show.

Archived