BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] PROBIZ

ada2020

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How far have we fallen when posters have to ask how a sponsor looked on our shirt.

Football shirt sponsorship has suddenly become a novel idea at rovers.

Perhaps we'll see more sponsorship soon...

It'll catch in you know, they'll all be doing it soon.

Wow! Not often I agree with Issy, but the negativity is breathtaking.

Local lad (which I believe Fasil is) puts money into a club. We don't know the amount, but we do know the commercial department weren't prepared to be bartered down to an unacceptable level, so we can only assume it's a decent amount .... and people assume it's a bad thing!

Ultimately, what would people be happier with, big name (say Wonga) pay peanuts for the rest of the season, or the club takes a decent wedge off local businesses for multiple short-term deals. Seems like a no-brainier for me. Assuming sponsorship is all about making money, rather than the vanity of having a "cool name" on the shirt that is.

If it were a proper sponsor, Glenn, then I'd agree. The signs are that we won't sell the advertising space cheaply, which is good - although we have no idea what they are holding out for. (PL rates?)

But in this case, it appears it's a two week stint and then it goes onto the back of the shirt.

The negativity has been bred for a wee while now - and all Venkys doing. It's going to take more than this to reassure people.

Let's hope Probiz going on the back means a 'proper' (paying) sponsor on the front.

And god forbid if it's Wonga - I detest them on principle. Worse even than betting sites.

But why aren't they a "proper sponsor" ? Why are they good enough for Super League, but not the Championship?

If probiz's marketing spend wouldn't run to what the commercial department is expecting for the remainder of the season, but will run to a couple of weeks at that rate, then fair play to them. Especially if (as I suspect) the commercial

Seem's they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As soon as I put 'proper' I knew that would be picked up on, and not in the way I meant it. That's my fault.

I meant a longer term front-of-shirt sponsor. But to expand, we need a credible sponsor who wants to be involved with the club and who has the necessary finances rather than someone speculating for short term interests. Putting it one the front for only two games - even I it will go on the back - strikes me as very short term and not someone who has the necessary funds to go into a (required) 3 or 4 year deal.

I don't mind if it's an unknown brand - chances are it will be, hence the need to stick it on a football shirt.

"Damned if they do and damned if they don't". Reminds me a lot of the Action Group. :D

But why aren't they a "proper sponsor" ? Why are they good enough for Super League, but not the Championship?

If probiz's marketing spend wouldn't run to what the commercial department is expecting for the remainder of the season, but will run to a couple of weeks at that rate, then fair play to them. Especially if (as I suspect) the commercial

Seem's they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

My personal views on the subject:

'Rent a shirt' does not build equity value in the Rovers' brand, it erodes it.

It simply becomes a basic commodity value that cheapens the image and makes it even more difficult to secure a financially beneficial longer term deal.

Unfortunately, we are now trading on the 'street market' as opposed to the 'high street'.

We are now seeing the impact of 2 years' shenanigans since the change in ownership.

Our commercial department has not covered itself in glory in recent times and I would suggest that there is a clear lack of nous within.

I would have thought it was most likely that Probiz have offered enough for a back of shirt sponsorship and to make the deal Rovers have offered the opportunity on the shirt front for a couple of games, as it's available. Either that, or as well, there is a front of short sponsor in the wings as well. Anyway, it's clearly not a two week deal.

i just cant seem to think of many teams, who have a sponsor on the front and back. I know Barca do, but thats more a charity sponsor, and its not like they are desperate like we have become. However, as i said earlier in this thread, we do tend to look for alot of negatives in everything we do these days. Unfortunately, Venkys have brought this upon themselves, and we just seem to be dropping catches all the time

IIRC Rovers looked into multiple sponsorships whilst in the EPL and it wasn't permitted under their rules. It was looked into again at the start of this season as a way of holding onto some corporate sponsors who were leaving as it is permitted in the Championship.

My understanding of the sponsorship, is this will be the first of 2 or 3 which will work in tandem on the shirts for the remainder of the season. This will go on the back after a couple of games, and be there for the rest of the season. We have instead of selling to one sponsor for a lower value have agreed to sell off in pieces to get a total sponsorship revenue closer to what it is valued at for a championsip club. So expect at least 1 if not 2 more sponsors to be announced in the next couple of weeks in addition to this one.

My understanding of the sponsorship, is this will be the first of 2 or 3 which will work in tandem on the shirts for the remainder of the season. This will go on the back after a couple of games, and be there for the rest of the season. We have instead of selling to one sponsor for a lower value have agreed to sell off in pieces to get a total sponsorship revenue closer to what it is valued at for a championsip club. So expect at least 1 if not 2 more sponsors to be announced in the next couple of weeks in addition to this one.

If this is such a good idea and raises more funds then why are we the only club doing it?

Presumably then we go back to another blank shirt at the start of next season again then!

I want to applaud someone for their initiative in securing extra funds rather than settling for a lower offer but it just seems like a very temporary way of saving face.

But let's be positive. We have sponsors at last!

Think you are talking utter nonsense based upon personal experience.

Archived